Re: [nafsiafrikasaana] Re: ml4d workshop in Nairobi: May 24th

    Message 1 of 5 , May 4, 2010
      Hi Ken

      Thanks for replying - and for forwarding the invitation to others.

      I am wondering what other opportunies there might be for an exchange of knowledge between you and the London Knowledge Lab people.
      • Any chance you will make it over to London while you are in Denmark?
      • Or maybe Yishay and Niall will be over your way.
      Ref your suggestions of an online link-up:
      "I would be glad to participate virtually if there would be a video bridge provision.
      I hope we would be able to set days for chatting more on this related topic in the M.S.L Forum."
      Let's explore options around that.
      • We could simply put it on the agenda for an ordinary "First Thursday" meeting (the meetings are getting more structured now) - I am experimenting with a structure where we focus on one or two agreed topics during the main session, and keep informal meeting-and-greeting and networking for before or after the main session. But of course we do still need to be ready to welcome people who just arrive "when ever they can" - and I'm working on that.
      • We are also having "Topic Thursdays" - like first Thursdays but only for people who really want to focus on that topic
      • We could of course have the discussions at some other time/place - but the chat room is handy and familiar to people, and the Thursday time suits most of the time zones where we are most active - so it's a good starting point if we want to give other people the chance to be included.
      • I can set up a mailing list too of course if we want that - or there are various webinar things around, or skype video etc but I think just having a simple typed meeting online in real time is a good starting point - helpful for introducing people to each other and exploring overlapping interests - and then see if anyone wants to take it further or not.
      Yishay - are you interested in an online meeting? If so is typed chat okay for starters?
      Ken and Yishay - are "First Thursday" times  any good for you? (12.00 GMT, 13.00 British Summer Time - I'm not sure about Denmark's time)?

      Let's try to get chatting together (plus others it they wish). Bringing academics and practitioners together is one of my obsessions. (I hate to see all that academic time and brain power being applied to questions that have no relevance to "us and people in our networks" who are involved in bottom-up and peer-to-peer approaches to sharing knowledge)

      NB - If I have time I may come back to the posterous version of this post and put some links in about academic-practitioner collaboration,  systemic educational change etc. - but no time to do it today)

      Let's rub minds on this Ken - and let's try to do a mini-catch-up on skype (typed or voice) before too long. I say "mini catch-up" because I know it would takes us days and days of solid talking to get anywhere near a proper catch-up ;-)

      Yishay - let me know what you think

      NB - If you send your reply to one of the lists (as Ken did) then I'll know its okay to share it. If you send it to me off list then obviously I won't publish it.

      Pamela

      On 4 May 2010 20:52, Kennedy Owino <nafsiafricaacro@...> wrote:

      Dear Pam,

      This sounds really great,
      Pam, thanks for availing such opportunities.

      Mobile phones are increasingly playing a key role in learning and development.
      I have seen how m-learning and e-learning are significantly employed here.
      I would really want to attend this workshop.
      An mlearning project has just been introduced to foreingner students in the language school i am attending here in Denmark.
      The focuss is on user-generated content and open knowledge exchange educational resources.
      Using the IPhones we research, store,create, share, discuss and edit information, we also receive and deliver assingments via the phone.
      The project has so far resulted to impressive, improved and positive results.
      The potential of mlearning is perhaps greatest in Africa, where the mobile phone rather than the desktop computer is the dominant technology.
      This was proved by our past endeavours as Pyramid of Peace .

      It is quite unfortunately, that i will miss this, however i hope those who will participate will learn more approaches to addressing social challenges using mphones.
      I have further c.c'd James (see email above), Nafsi members and more who may probably have the interest to benefit from this.
      I would be glad to participate virtually if there would be a video bridge provision.
      I hope we would be able to set days for chatting more on this related topic in the M.S.L Forum.

      Thank you Yishay for sacrificing time to stop by in Nairobi and freely offer this workshop that would help support Kenyan mobile learners in their own socio-cultural contexts.

      Peace,

      Ken Owino

      Nafsi Africa Acrobats

      www.nafsiafrica.org

      P.S; Please also note Yishay's request for advice on cheap, decent accommodation in Nairobi. Any suggestions?

      Message 2 of 5 , May 5, 2010
        Hello  Pamela  and all,

        This is GREAT news.

        I will  not be going to Zambia  for the e-learning conference ,so i will attend .I have just hosted a sucessful Regional  Education Conference on Elearning in Kenya ,so ,this opportunity is God send for me  and people we have been working  closely with on e learning in Kenya to have a feel of what we missed most at the conference http://www.icwe.co.ke/elearn2010/e-learnKenya.html

        Now  there is a quiet affordable enviroment in Nairobi just behind  the Kenya Institute of education where my offices are :The Nairobi Gymkhana Club.Has great indian food,good security not far from town.

        Am not sure i have seen Niall winters mail add here .But one Question,Who is hosting the workshop in Kenya? two ,How Can i and my friends  and contacts register

        Dan OTEDO

        Kenya ICT Trust Fund. P.O box 8475-00100 Nairobi.

        Tel: +254203745911 .Mobile:+254720366094

        Email: dotedo@...

        http:/com/profile/DanAndrewOtedo /twbcanada.ning.

        ~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~

[...]

        ~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
        Some questions I asked
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~

        Message 3 of 5 , May 5, 2010
          Hi Yishay

          To get some idea of role played by phones in Pyramid of Peace please see brief introduction at phone4peace http://phone4peace.blogspot.com/

          You can read full story of PoP - Pyramid of Peace here http://www.pyramidofpeace.net/

          Sometime if we're talking I'll show you who Ken is on the PoP video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vGTiRlR5Ak

          Pamela

          On 5 May 2010 16:29, Yishay Mor <yishaym@...> wrote:
          (Pam - feel free to forward this where you see fit.)

          Ken,

          I'm truely sorry you can't make it. I'm not sure about the video conferencing capacity at the iHub, and also - the participatory nature of the event will make it quite challenging for remote attendance. We are planning a similar event later this summer in London. Unfortunatly, we will have to charge for that one.

          Alternatively, if you can find a host, we could try to arrange another workshop together.

          The mLearning project you describe sounds very interesting - perhaps you could invite the people involved to submit a design narrative to our collection, so that we can refer to it in our workshops? As for pyramid of peace - did you use mobile technology there? Would you be willing to share your experience?

          ___________________________
           Yishay Mor, London Knowledge Lab
            http://www.lkl.ac.uk/people/mor.html
            http://www.yishaymor.org

          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[...]

          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          Some questions I asked
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

          Message 4 of 5 , May 7, 2010

            Hi Yishay,

            Thanks for your response, and your farther profound ideas on other options that may be available for me to benefit from your workshops.

            It would be great if you could get a host for a similar workshop here in Denmark.

            I discussed the idea with my teacher Elise (c.c'd) who is in direct contact with the organization responsible for the mlearning project.

            The Organisation is called vifin and the project's theme is to help foreiners in intergration.

            Elise would share more or probably link you up with the people involved for sharing possibilities of the different approaches and ideas.

            I hope more positive strides would be made from such connections.

            Best Regards,

            Ken Owino

            Nafsi Africa Acrobats

            www.nafsiafrica.org