Topic Thursday - bucket stoves (with chat archive).

    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2010
      Bucket Stoves

      Graham, Clement and Bala continued the discussion they had started during the April "First Thursday" chat. It was about stoves that use biomass (waste products from things that have been grown - waste like sawdust and rice husks). In our previous discussion these were called "sawdust stoves" - but in fact they can use all kinds of biomass. They have been renamed "bucket stoves" because the simplest version can be made using an ordinary metal bucket ( a great way to try out the technology).The discussion ranged from some descriptions of large scale use of biomass to the very practical issues of local domestic stoves, such as:
      • How to construct them
      • What fuels worked well
      • Likely acceptance by the village women
      • What you could cook on them
      • Heat control
      • Smoke control
      Diagrams

      Graham sent us helpful diagrams of the stoves.

      Graham -   please let me know if these diagrams have been published anywhere or if people need to contact you directly for them.

      Published archive

      For the published archive of the chat see stoves that use biomass