sensing nature event invitation

  • jinan k
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 17, 2010
      Hi

      As usual we are having the sensing nature; knowing nature event at
      Aruvacode, Nilambur, Kerala.during April, May. Do come.

      The fundamental issues we raise through this event is the 'nature of
      learning, biologically embedded aesthetic sense in children, role of the
      'teacher', do nothing method etc.
      We hope to have dialouges, presentations etc with the visitors to the event.

      Usually around 60 children of the age 5 to 17 from the village attends the
      workshop.
      It looks like that we are already born with aesthetic sense. I think this is
      our connection to the world and the way we conduct our lives provided we
      leave that to the nature in all of us.
      Senses which is our doors to the outer world and also to the inner world is
      what needs to be addressed and that too in a manner that would enhance the
      inherent, natural, biological tendency in all human beings to be in beauty
      and to know.
      The work shop on sensing nature is for providing space to come together to
      listen, to see, to taste, to touch, feel, to make etc. Senses connects not
      only to knowledge but also to the beauty of living. Sensitivity is in a way
      is matter of the awakening of the senses and feelings.
      There is no teaching.
      Development of aesthetic sense which is the basis for all art forms seems to
      me the most important aspect to be explored as this would equip the student
      to pursue any art form at any time depending on the individuals interest and
      opportunities that might prop up.
      Rather than learning skills to sing, paint, draw etc this would make a
      qualitative and an attitudinal change in the learner.
      Teaching is not called for but by providing an environment that would allow
      the natural in us to come forth.
      This would require sensitivity, trust and indeed careful planning for the
      unplanned to happen.
      You can see examples of applying this method which I call 'do nothing
      training method' at two sites.
      In my work with potters in Nilambur, Kerala I have applied this method. The
      site www.kumbham.org , would give an idea of the kind of original and
      creative work the people who went through this method has been impacted up
      on. And also the workshop 'Sensing Nature; Knowing nature' during the two
      months holidays (April, May) which I have been doing since 2003.
      http://my.opera.com/jinankb/albums/show.dml?id=65285
      http://my.opera.com/jinankb/blog/show.dml/243590
      http://www.hindu.com/quest/200409/stories/2004091102540400.htm

      Email me at jinankb@...