Authorities and Patterns for a Culture of Independent Thinkers

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 5, 2010
      I share my course for the future of Minciu Sodas http://www.ms.lt and
      Worknets http://www.worknets.org I face financial pressures, personal
      relationships, and changes in the world that have me reevaluate my life.

      Currently, my goal-in-life is to organize a culture of independent
      thinkers. I'm concluding that we've enjoyed many aspects of such a
      culture since 1998 when I founded Minciu Sodas as a laboratory for
      serving and organizing independent thinkers. I nurtured such a culture
      by setting up venues (mailing lists, wikis, chat, meetings) around
      mature independent thinkers (Franz Nahrada, Janet Feldman, Samwel
      Kongere, Pamela McLean, Thomas Chepaitis, Audrone Anusauskiene, John
      Rogers, Kiyavilo Msekwa, Josephat Ndibalema, Benoit Couture, Edward
      Cherlin, Kennedy Owino, Fred Kayiwa and many others have been key. Thank
      you!) At these venues we learned to think out loud, to work openly in
      the Public Domain, to appreciate that money can bring us together but
      you can't pay people to care, to want everybody to succeed, to allow for
      God where relevant, to reach out and include the hard to reach, to
      relate to each other regarding our deepest values, investigatory
      questions, endeavors and dreams. This culture let us organize large
      teams for My Food Story, Pyramid of Peace, Mornflake Outreach and many
      smaller projects, too.

      However, activity at our venues is going down. Our leaders are
      typically not investing themselves in these venues, but often setting up
      new venues, where they are not fostering this culture. In general,
      we've arrived at an age of social networking where I can't compete with
      Facebook, etc. and I can't foster values through a network of venues
      that I organize myself. I can't invest in such a network and expect
      returns for my business or this culture. Social networking is not
      actually my interest.

      In conversations with our leaders, I find that although there's a great
      appreciation for the benefits of our culture, there's not a single
      person who wants to champion such a culture, who wants to commit to a
      culture that proposes the minimum expectations for all to be able to
      work together, who wants to be held accountable as an example of the
      integrity of such a culture. Last year I drafted an explicit Charter
      of my understanding of these expectations
      http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?Charter But now I think that there is
      no single "yes-no" switch by which others might make such a commitment.

      Wael Al Saad suggested that I write a pattern language for this culture
      of independent thinkers. I've started to do so:
      http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?Patterns I mean "pattern" here in the
      sense of architect Christopher Alexander who wrote a "pattern language"
      of hundreds of patterns ("rules of thumb") for buildings to be alive
      (such as "every room should have windows on two sides"). I am authoring
      a pattern language that describes the recurring concepts that are
      relevant in the lives of independent thinkers, at least as I understand
      it. Some we have a lot of evidence for, such as: deepest value,
      investigatory question, endeavor, dream. In other cases, I'm making
      explicit assumptions in my own personal experience, such as: inner
      reality, meaningfulness, private language, God. I'm taking
      responsibility as an author to launch a movement, much as Baden Powell
      did with his book "Scouting for Boys". I want to put together the
      materials for an individual to pursue a life as an independent thinker.
      I imagine it as a "Handbook for Investigators", a workbook with
      questions to ask oneself, each question evoking a pattern, an optimal
      personal solution to a general existential problem. The workbook might
      be a set of videos. I would like to create fun games that help one
      appreciate each pattern's dynamics. Perhaps there are four or five
      patterns which are the "memes" that help one convey the essence of the
      culture. I will illustrate the patterns with all of my artistic
      abilities. My pattern language will document the entire culture as
      hundreds of patterns which people can accept, ignore, verify,
      invalidate, restate as they like.

      I take responsibility for authoring this pattern language as a way of
      organizing this culture. I will focus my online work with others who
      would like to work with me on this. I'm finding that there are people
      who agree to be authorities on aspects of this culture:
      http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?Authorities
      * Franz Nahrada: Global villages.
      * Thomas Chepaitis: Fostering humanity, listening to others.
      * Markus Petz: Collaboration between communities.
      * Wael Al Saad: Making a living, economic solutions as the basis for
      culture and ecology.
      * Barry Hunt: Street wisdom.
      Please let me know if you'd like to be an authority for me on some or
      all aspects of this culture.

      As I work on the pattern language, I will look for input and feedback
      from my authorities. More than that, I will wrestle with them, morally
      speaking, to make sure that they and I live the lives we preach. We'll
      learn how this works, but this role of "moral authority" will be only
      for those who wish to grow morally, who wish me and God to morally
      challenge them and might challenge me and God likewise. I'm remaking my
      business Minciu Sodas as a network of such people and activity. In this
      way, I will invest my efforts in those people who will actively shape
      this culture, embrace it in their own lives, champion it with others,
      and create an environment where I and others might apply our creativity
      and also provide for ourselves.

      In my mind, I'm making changes to Minciu Sodas which will be apparent
      over time. At some point, I will archive all of the emails we've
      written, publish them on a CD along with our wiki pages and chat
      archive, and make them available for all who want. I will make sure
      that each of our leaders owns their mailing lists and can continue
      without my participation. I will mostly work at our Worknets wiki
      http://www.worknets.org and may likely shift over to a new wiki
      technology if I find one that better suits my more modest purposes. I
      won't be organizing, including, coaching or mentoring people unless they
      want to focus on their own moral integrity. I won't be offering "free
      service" for those who "work for free". I won't be funding or managing
      small $100 projects for their own sake. I won't lead a large online
      community or code software for online networking.

      I will work with a smaller group of people ("moral authorities") and
      slowly organize with them this culture as we support each other. I'm
      concerned to solve the problem, how might we all make a living? I will
      continue looking for business opportunities to organize global teams
      (such as My Math Story). I will work on an "economy of dreams", an
      online system for helping with tasks, a reference of online participants
      and venues who support the culture, perhaps an online help room. I will
      participate online more as a follower than as a leader, focusing on
      those venues where I might find work. I also want to find more bases in
      the Lithuanian countryside where I've enjoyed myself greatly. I would
      like to understand how large families catalyze global villages. I want
      to learn how to apply myself as an artist and also how to encourage
      muses to inspire me and others. I may stay with David Ellison-Bey in
      Chicago to look for work there, perhaps go bankrupt.

      I feel this is a big shift for me, although in practice it may not seem
      this way. Thank you to all for years of wonderful experiences. I'm
      glad that each of us is thriving in so many ways. I invite you to
      consider working with me as a "moral authority" as I describe above.

      Truly my life is different than when I founded Minciu Sodas in 1998. My
      goal-in-life then was "to know everything and apply that knowledge
      usefully", and to my surprise, last year I achieved that to my
      satisfaction with my video "I Wish to Know"
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArN-YbPlf8M I kept God to a minimum,
      but now I feel free to engage God warmly. I came to Lithuania when it
      was a poor country, but now there are more opportunities to make a
      living. I started with $3,000 in debt and now I have more than
      $110,000. I came to Lithuania wanting to surround myself with the
      Lithuanian language, increase my chances of falling in love and starting
      a family, and today I have good friends there and it is all much more
      delightful and real to me. I once wondered, what might I do useful in
      the world? Now I've feel that I've done my life's share. Once I thought
      that I could and would find a job to repay any loans I might ever have,
      but now I doubt that's what God wants. I might gladly be bankrupt and
      homeless in Chicago, organize a gang on the South Side to establish the
      kingdom of heaven. When I started, I supposed that "independent
      thinkers" can come to agreement on all matters, values, answers, and
      it's wonderful to have the widest variety of perspectives. Now I've
      concluded, it may be so, but if I seek a culture of independent
      thinkers, and others do not, then I might best pursue that myself,
      perhaps with the help of a few people who truly want that.

      This is "the state of the lab". Here's a link to other such letters
      over the years:
      http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?TheStateOfOurLab

      Greetings from Vienna, Austria where I'm staying at Franz Nahrada's
      family's Hotel Karolinenhof http://www.karolinenhof.at I came along
      with Pamela McLean, Markus Petz, Wael Al Saad, Thomas Chepaitis, Julius
      Galdikas, Julija Astrauskiene for Franz's EU Grundtvig adult education
      "learning circle" on video communications.
      http://www.dorfwiki.org/wiki.cgi?VideoBridge/GrundtvigWorkshop I'm
      staying here for all of February to try my chance at art projects (most
      recently with video jockey Michael Schreiber
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/50525222@N00/ ) and explore business
      opportunties (thank you for comments on My Math Story proposal! I'm
      writing a My Video Story proposal and keeping in mind Suresh Fernando's
      Open Kollab work).

      Thank you to all who've helped me think through these thoughts. I
      should have done more "thinking out loud" this last month. I invite us
      to do so!

      +370 699 30003
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 5, 2010
        Dear Andrius

        Your email is thought provoking. I can't give it the time and thought I would need to in order to give a complete well argued reply. But I will do what I can  - and hope l express myself clearly enough to avoid  being misunderstood.

        First thank you for the experience of being part of Minciu Sodas. I appreciated the way you "took me in" and encouraged me to think aloud, "as myself", without any need to have a designated role in a formal organisation.

        Originally when you set up the LearningFromEachOther group "around me" I hoped it was going to be a forum for discussing theoretical issues around the impact of ICT (real and potential) on 21st century educational systems, the changing roles of teachers and learners etc. It didn't quite go in that direction  - but then I didn't try to lead it any particular direction, and didn't take a nurturing role. ( I just thought aloud sometimes, other times I joined in discussions that others had started, and yet other times I  didn't join in the discussions that others had started).

        I also joined other groups and learned from them, visited the chat room (and also lead my own sessions there - for which I thank you enormously) met some great people (online and F2F) was fortunate to be able to visit Lithuania (and Latvia), and thought a lot.

        I am still very interested in the issues around the changing roles of teachers and learners, and I am also increasingly interested in other aspects of information exchange and Internet-enabled collaboration. This is partly because of what I have learned through Minciu Sodas, but also through the work that John Dada and I have been doing together since we ran the first Teachers Talking course in 2004,with its related online yahoo support group, plus all our subsequent experiences of collaborating across cultures and at a distance.

        I have always been attracted to Minciu Sodas because of its interest in questions, and your ability to "go from tree to tree in your orchard of thoughts cross-pollinating as you go". I have always admired the way you have built such a large, varied and vibrant community and I have sung the praises of you and of Minciu Sodas outside of Mincius Sodas.

        As I think you  know, I have never been so comfortable with the values and culture side of Minciu Sodas. You may recall that last time you asked me this online I said I still didn't know my deepest value and would probably need to go into therapy to find out. You cleverly observed that, once again, I was taking a Learning From Each Other approach ;-)

        I guess I am a lot more casual about people's values. I don't ask people what their values are. If I get along with someone then I assume our values overlap to a reasonable extent. If it turns out later that they don't then maybe we won't continue getting along with each other. Obviously for some forms of collaboration shared values are very important, and for other collaborations it is not such an issue.

        From my side I appreciate so many of the things that you do, and the person that you are, and I  can get along with you fine while accepting that we do not necessarily have the same values. However I don't feel that you can get along with me if I express different values, and that causes me a problem within Minciu Sodas. I am not comfortable when you include me as a kind of representative of a value system that you define and I do not necessarily agree with or feel 100% part of.

        Ref "However, activity at our venues is going down." For myself I know that I have drastically reduced my activity on lists over a period of time. When I was first involved in Minciu Sodas I was also actively contributing to many lists outside as well. Gradually i dropped out of them, and only contributed within Minciu Sodas, and more recently I have gradually reduced my involvement there as well. (I think there are some patterns to be seen in what has happened with the use of online groups, but I won't get into that now).

        Ref " Our leaders are typically not investing themselves in these venues, but often setting up
        new venues, where they are not fostering this culture."

        I don't know what other people are doing, but I guess in my case you are thinking of www.dadamac.net, where I have been busy since March of last year bringing together (in one single online space) work that was previously scattered around in various blogs, emails, lists, skyping, and so on, as well as in physical locations in UK, Nigeria and elsewhere in Africa. The online space is an attempt to make all we do far more visible, and accessible to other people. I am also trying to get more people to communicate with me publicly via the website instead of in private emails - so you can see there is considerable Minciu Sodas influence at work there.

        Naturally the culture of the Dadamac online space (like all its behind-the-scenes-work) reflects the way that people in the "Dadamac community" and wider network work together. Given that that community has been gradually developing since I first got involved in things in Nigeria (through my friends Peter and Agnita Oyawale back in 1999) it would be very surprising if that "culture" was one where I was fostering the  same "culture" that you want for Minciu Sodas. As far as I can see that is not to say that one is right and one is wrong, simply that they are different. Perhaps also, until I kept mentioning Dadamac and developing www.dadamac.net,  you were not aware of how much I was doing outside of Minciu Sodas.

        Like you I am interested in patterns. I think it is interesting that Alexander started his ideas in architecture, and now we are looking at patterns in relation to meeting in virtual spaces thanks to digital communication. He was dealing with three dimensions. When we meet through digital communications it seems to me that we actually meetup in the fourth dimension of time more than we meet in any of the usual three dimensions of space. Interesting to see how his ideas apply.

        When Prof Peter Baumgartner mentioned something about the space between the inside and the outside it resonated with me in terms of how I think of the difference between the way the Internet was used at first and how it is developing now. I think we "stand" between 20th century ways (laid down pre-Internet) and 21st century ways (systems and strategies that could not have existed without the Internet) almost in the way that we might stand between inside and outside.

        I am reminded of a day organised by an RSA network which looked at the differences between the established "20th century" RSA (with its organisational structure and Fellows) and the informal "21st century" network - and how they related. It was a kind of workshop day and people worked in small groups. The results of their considerations were not recorded on flip charts. Instead we worked more dynamically, with group sculptures made of lego, plasticine and objects we had brought with us. The rsulting sculptures were all very different but with great similarities (patterns perhaps). It was obvious which part of each sculpture represented the established RSA - it was always ordered and structured. It was equally obvious what represented the network - it was always chaotic, but in a celebratory, positive kind of way.  (The next interesting part was how the two did, and could, relate to each other, but I cannot go into that now).

        To me, appreciating this "creative chaos", with greater equality and two-way flows of information, rather than top-down structures and control, is an important element in developing an understanding of the changing nature of 21st century systems.

        It also seems to me that if you want independent thinkers you are likely to get people who think independently and therefore do not necessarily agree with you - so they need a more chaotic and accepting 21st century environment rather than a tightly controlled  20th century one.

        Ref "In conversations with our leaders, I find that although there's a great
        appreciation for the benefits of our culture, there's not a single
        person who wants to champion such a culture, who wants to commit to a
        culture that proposes the minimum expectations for all to be able to
        work together, who wants to be held accountable as an example of the
        integrity of such a culture."

        There is a lot I would like to say here - but have already spent more time than I intended. I appreciate the networking and questioning aspects of Minciu Sodas rather than all the value aspects of its culture (though I admire some of its values). I do believe in a 21st century culture of far greater collaboration and open-ness, and far less competition and secrecy.

        As for being an "authority" - I felt when we started to discuss this in Vienna that we had different ideas on what being an "authority" meant, and these differences were not going to be easily resolved.

        I wish you well on whatever you decide to do in order to take Minciu Sodas forward, and whatever other decisions you make about your life. Even if it turns out that I don't fit in with what you plan for the next stage I hope we will continue to connect and I will continue to respect your values, intelligence. skills, clear quick thinking, creativity, and more.

        I appreciate you plans to make sure people still have access to the network and archives even if you decide to stop developing and supporting them.

        I look forward too to learning more about your pattern ideas.

        Warm regards

        Pam

      • Edward Cherlin
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 5, 2010
          On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 14:54, Andrius Kulikauskas <ms@...> wrote:
          > I share my course for the future of Minciu Sodas http://www.ms.lt and
          > Worknets http://www.worknets.org   I face financial pressures, personal
          > relationships, and changes in the world that have me reevaluate my life.
          >
          > Currently, my goal-in-life is to organize a culture of independent
          > thinkers.

          Herding cats.

          > I'm concluding that we've enjoyed many aspects of such a
          > culture since 1998 when I founded Minciu Sodas as a laboratory for
          > serving and organizing independent thinkers.

          My current goal is to teach a billion children to be independent
          thinkers, and then not organize them. If they remain dependent on me,
          I will have failed utterly.

          "You are all individuals!"
          "I'm not!"
          --Life of Brian