How might we work with Time Dollar Tutoring?

  • ms@auste.elnet.lt
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 15, 2007
      Dear Calvin Pearce,

      Thank you for helping my friend David Ellison-Bey! I'm using his computer
      which he earned through your Time Dollar Tutoring
      http://www.timedollartutoring.org I'm very impressed with how your program
      addresses so many needs including computer literacy and ownership, tutoring,
      parent involvement, community participation and more. And your scope, more
      than 5,000 computers have come to disadvantaged homes!

      These next two weeks I'm staying at David's house 6726 S.Parnell Ave,
      Chicago. I lead the Minciu Sodas laboratory http://www.ms.lt for serving and
      organizing independent thinkers around the world. I would like to organize
      more independent thinkers like David here in Chicago, but especially Black
      Americans, or as he says Moors, Asiatics, because we benefit from the widest
      variety of thinkers.

      You are a key person that we might organize around. We have eighteen working
      groups, including one for community currency and participatory society
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cyfranogi/ led by John Rogers of the Wales
      Institute for Community Currencies.

      I also alert our working group Holistic Helping led by Janet Feldman
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/holistichelping/ We have a strong presence in
      Arica including Samwel Kongere who will be experimenting with Wifi Internet
      access where he lives in Rusinga Island on the Kenyan shore of Lake Victoria.
      David is also interested how we might help him ship used sewing machines to
      Africa and promote various craftsmanship.

      Pamela McLean leads our working group on distance learning and ICT,
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/learningfromeachother/ and so I alert them,
      too.

      David is a great person with a penetrating mind and a compassionate heart.
      Indeed, his deepest value in life is "compassion". He is particularly
      concerned about his mother, who I understand his sister took away from
      Chicago against their will in 1997. I think he has climbed out of the deep
      depression that consumed him, but he is zealous to resolve this crisis. He
      is a noble man who I believe that people of integrity might organize around,
      and perhaps we might help him, and certainly as an elder he inspires me.

      Calvin, I would be very excited to meet you soon. I will be in Chicago for
      two weeks and I return here every few years. I lived here for about nine
      years in all.

      My phone number is (773)659-9852 and email is ms@... and David's phone
      number is (773) 874 3332.

      I include below my recent letter on "the state of the lab".

      Peace,

      Here is "the state of our lab". Thank you for circulating it to various
      groups with your thoughts for those particular groups! Andrius

      Thank you for thinking and writing about your plans for the coming year. I
      share my plans for our Minciu Sodas laboratory. I look forward to working
      together!

      I founded Minciu Sodas in 1998 as a laboratory for serving and organizing
      independent thinkers around the world. As independent thinkers who pursue
      our own ideas, we have various needs:
      * involve the widest variety of minds so we can think on a higher level
      * make our dreams real through a community
      * keep growing as thinkers, despite any frustrations
      * make a living and have resources for our projects

      I am very happy at the range of activity at our lab. We now have 17 working
      groups http://www.ourculture.info/wiki.cgi?WorkingGroups
      Some new working groups that have really taken off this year include
      Fighting
      Peacefully (Eluned Hurn), Social Agriculture (Steve Bosserman), Holistic
      Helping (Janet Feldman) and Learning From Each Other (Pamela McLean). Others
      are just getting started and they will need our help to assemble
      participants
      and to build momentum.

      Each group is organized around one of our leaders and their deepest value in
      life. Some 265 people have let us post their deepest values in life, and
      about 140 people have formulated their investigatory questions which they
      don't know the answer to, but intend to answer.
      http://www.ourculture.info/wiki.cgi?PersonalOutlooks
      I am excited how Samwel Kongere, Benoit Couture, Markus Petz and others have
      helped us include others by asking them these questions. The variety of
      answers opens us up to new issues and reveals how we can best support each
      other. By the end of this year, I hope that we might have 40 working
      groups. Each group is in the Ethical Public Domain and that lets us
      circulate our energy. Here are instructions on how to start a new group at
      our lab:
      http://www.ourculture.info/wiki.cgi?StartAWorkingGroup

      Our next step is to openly pursue our investigatory questions. They are all
      so bold and personal that they may constitute the most inspiring research
      program in the world. Each of our questions has us grow as individuals and
      also lead by our open example. We need both theory and practice in order to
      arrive at satisfactory answers. The practice is most real if it comes from
      first-hand accounts, our own as well as that of others. That is why
      collecting "stories" is so important. We were very fortunate last year to
      get work from clients who value personal stories:
      * John Rogers of the Wales Institute for Community Currencies funded us (750
      GBP) to develop an online learning environment for community currency, based
      on stories about our "money minds", and I want to see that happen with our
      help at John's group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cyfranogi/
      * Nikos Salingaros funded us (1000 USD) to promote his new book "A Theory Of
      Architecture" and pattern languages, which is Christopher Alexander's
      approach based on our first-hand sensitivity to whether we feel "alive"
      within various buildings. I want us to organize a home for the pattern
      language community and others interested in ecological architecture around
      James Ferguson's leadership at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ethicaldesign/
      * Greg Wolff of the UnaMesa Association funded us (12,000 USD) to start up
      MyFoodStory http://www.myfoodstory.info http://www.myfoodstory.com as an
      online resource for all to care about the origins of food through personal
      stories and encyclopedic articles. I have shared half of this work with our
      6 teams (great work!) and I will need all of our help to meet our targets by
      March 31, 2007 so that we could share in 12,000 USD of bonuses. That would
      be 6,000 USD for me, 3,000 USD for our team leaders, and 3,000 USD in
      community currency for our online community, so we do need our help! In
      particular, I am offering 1 USD for each directory entry and 20 USD for each
      webpage in bonuses (assuming we earn them) that we can use to fund our
      personal projects. Indeed, I can honor the points you earn with my own
      services, too, as you might need for your projects.

      My focus this year, especially as I travel to California in February, will
      be
      to find new clients who might fund us to collect personal stories and show
      their value as data for all kinds of investigations. Steve Bosserman is
      pursuing new avenues in agriculture. We can also think of the value of
      personal stories in architecture, nonviolence, community currency, personal
      finance, global villages, mental health, self-education and other fields.

      An early priority is to flesh out our system for collecting stories
      http://www.myfoodstory.info so that it works without a hitch. Special thanks
      to inventor Helmut Leitner whose ProWiki http://www.prowiki.com is the wiki
      that we rely on at http://www.ourculture.info I look forward to providing
      subwikis in the Ethical Public Domain for Tom Wayburn, John Waters and all
      of
      our leaders' projects. Indeed, I will work with each of our working groups
      establish a rhythm by which we draw from the energy of our correspondence -
      tag that as appropriate - and reshape it at our wikis.

      I also look forward to writing down more of our "culture". We have started
      an Almanac of our activities (now at the home page of
      http://www.ourculture.info) that we can layout and print as the need arises.
      I also look forward to creating an Investigator's Handbook (much like Lord
      Baden-Powell's "Scouting for Boys" or Alcoholics Anonymous's "Big Book")
      that
      would serve as a workbook for the many kinds of methods that we can apply to
      pursue our investigatory questions.

      On December 23, 2006, in Riese, Lithuania, at the home of Alfredas
      Gabrijolavicius, I was able to show eight of us just what I mean. We started
      by listing out our deepest values in life and our investigatory questions.
      Then I chose one that we all seemed interested in, Alfredas's question, "How
      do we establish a system for helping each other?" I asked us to refrain from
      our opinions, ideas, principles, and instead to simply share first-hand
      accounts of how we helped others and how others helped us. We then went
      through the 30 or so stories and tried to hear the angle that each was
      taking. This let us group them into 8 different kinds of helping. And then
      I was able to show how those categories drawn from the data fit well with
      one
      of the structures that I was familiar with (the counterquestions). This led
      us to structure the answers in terms of who was helped (the system, somebody
      we know, somebody we don't know) and the kind of help they were given (idea,
      attentiveness, or some extra action taken). From the structure it became
      apparent that we're not dealing with a single "answer" but rather with a
      complex of interrelated answers. And we can understand why some
      possibilities are eliminated, for example, that if we don't know a person at
      all, then our attentiveness can't help. I was excited that Alfredas and all
      found this useful and they were all quite amazed. So I am looking forward to
      having a strong repository of first-hand accounts so that we might apply and
      illustrate the conceptual tools that I have been working on for 25 years, as
      at: http://www.ourculture.info/wiki.cgi?UniversalLanguage/Overview

      Inspired by Franz Nahrada, we'll be working locally around the world
      (Lithuania, Kenya, Austria, ...), and linking up our work by way of video
      bridges. We have received 10,000 euros of funding from the European Union to
      conduct 12 video bridges from Lithuania, and I will need to invest 4000
      euros
      to purchase 2 sets of equipment for that. Zenonas Anusauskas in the village
      of Eiciunai is keen to get started! We will be practicing with Skype for
      Windows and will purchase other equipment when I return on April 20th. We
      all hope to learn what this equipment is most useful for, but certainly it
      should stimulate our local activity. Please join us by organizing locally!

      Franz also asks us to think through a vision for self-education that might
      be
      a lifelong alternative to a university education. Thanks to his initiative,
      Minciu Sodas is included in the proposal for the second year of the MIR
      learning partnership funded by the European Union, for relating adult
      education and local development. I expect that traveling self-learners will
      be a central part of our vision. So will the collaboration between learners
      with high-bandwidth and low-bandwidth Internet access as Pamela McLean is
      championing. Let's think!

      Thank you to Maria Agnese Giraudo for your love and generosity as you
      traveled to Kenya and linked Samwel Kongere there with your team in
      Tanzania!
      Thank you for your valuable gift of a laptop! I also thank all who have
      hosted me and cared for me through my many travels last year and this year,
      too. I will be in the US and Mexico until March 20th, then in Amsterdam,
      Ireland and the UK until April 21st. Jeff Buderer and Joy Tang are - I hope
      - traveling soon to Africa. John Rogers is moving to Germany and suggests
      the World Cafe meeting on May 3-5. Thanks again to Maria Agnese Giraudo for
      your invitation to Samwel Kongere that he visit us in Italy and Lithuania
      this fall! Here is our calendar:
      http://www.ourculture.info/wiki.cgi?Calendar

      This year we created an interface at http://www.ms.lt by which we can access
      the almost 20,000 letters which 685 thinkers have written to our many groups
      since 1999. Here is some data from recent years:
      2006: about 5,000 letters from 244 thinkers
      2005: about 3,200 letters from 180 thinkers
      2004: about 2,200 letters from 204 thinkers
      2003: about 2,100 letters from 177 thinkers
      2002: about 2,800 letters from 126 thinkers
      2001: about 2,700 letters from 112 thinkers
      2000: about 1,100 letters from 72 thinkers

      Currently, we are receiving about 20 letters a day. At our web page
      http://www.ms.lt you can see the number of people (currently 127) who have
      written in the last 90 days.

      We are assembling in 13 languages.
      http://www.ourculture.info/wiki.cgi?Languages
      I think that as we write our more about "our culture" in English, then we
      can
      translate that into other languages, and that will help us organize
      ourselves
      multilingually, which is very important!

      My overall dream these next ten years or so is that we double in size so
      that
      we might have a full-fledged culture of independent thinkers: 100,000 active
      and 1,000,000 supportive. I am very happy that we have grown in the depth of
      our vision, commitment, understanding and friendship. I am excited that
      we're
      finding ways for each of us to invest ourselves - in groups, resources,
      projects, relationships - that give us strength and purpose to reach out to
      others and include them in our shared, unfolding culture. We are so various,
      but I believe that helps us know that indeed we can clarify principles that
      help us be "willing" to work together.

      Thank you to God for your patience as I wish to include you as an
      independent
      thinker who we might openly learn from. Thank you to Benoit and all of all
      faiths and outlooks for making ours a space of truth and love where that
      might and should be possible.

      Best wishes for 2007 and please keep sharing our visions and working to
      bring
      them to life!

      Chicago, Illinois