Three strikes proposals in EU countries?

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 25, 2009
      Is anybody in COMMUNIA following the "three strikes" legislations in
      France, Germany and other countries? There are links following Cory
      Doctorow's article at
      http://www.boingboing.net/2009/10/23/european-internet-si.html

      I take the liberty to include his article in my letter, although thereby
      I am building on his work and violating the "no derivatives" part of
      Boing Boing's Creative Commons license. So that's one strike against me.

      Andrius Kulikauskas, Minciu Sodas, http://www.ms.lt, ms@..., +370 699
      30003

      Cory Doctorow

      European Internet sinking fast under 3-strikes proposals

      http://www.boingboing.net/2009/10/23/european-internet-si.html

      Things look bad for the European Internet: "3 strikes" (the
      entertainment industry's proposal for a law that requires ISPs to
      disconnect whole households if one member is accused -- without evidence
      or trial -- of three copyright infringements) is gaining currency.
      Efforts to make 3-strikes illegal are being thwarted by the European
      bureaucracy in the EC.

      The Pirate Party, which holds a seat in the European Parliament,
      proposed legislation that said, essentially, that no one could be
      disconnected from the Internet without a fair trial. When the proposal
      when to the European Commission (a group of powerful, unelected
      bureaucrats who have been heavily lobbied by the entertainment
      industry), they rewrote it so that disconnection can take place without
      trial or other due process.

      On the national level, France's Constitutional Court have approved the
      latest version of the French 3-strikes rule, HADOPI, which has created a
      kind of grudging, joke oversight by the courts (before your family's
      Internet connection is taken away, a judge gives the order 1-2 minutes'
      worth of review, and you aren't entitled to counsel and the rules of
      evidence don't apply -- the NYT called it similar to "traffic court").
      Under this rule, there is now a national list of French people who are
      not allowed to be connected to the Internet; providing them with
      connectivity is a crime.

      The only bright light is that this will play very badly in the national
      elections coming up in many European jurisdictions; the Swedes, in
      particular, are likely to kick the hell out of the MPs who voted for
      criminal sanctions for downloading and replace them with Pirate Party
      candidates, Greens, and members of other parties with a liberal stance
      on copyright.

      3-Strikes For Pirates Makes European Comeback Tour

      http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/1.0/