Worknets architecture call: Chat room?

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 15, 2009
      Pamela McLean asked if our chat room http://www.worknets.org/chat/ can
      handle all the people for Dadamac Day which is Thursday, November 7th.
      We've had about 15 people there successfully and I don't think we'd have
      a problem having more.

      However, chat is a key part of our online system, especially for our
      "help room". We're using "A Really Simple Chat ARSC" which no longer
      has an active community. http://sourceforge.net/projects/arsc/ So we
      should think of switching, especially as we improve our system.

      I appreciate help to think through, what do we want from our chat
      system? For example:
      * We need to archive our chat, as we are now.
      * We need to customize it, in particular, so that people are aware that
      it's Public Domain, as it is now.
      * It would be good if people could participate through other clients
      (like Yahoo, Skype, Jabber, IRC)
      * It's important that it work with and in other languages like
      Lithuanian and Kiswahili and potentially Arabic, etc.
      * We want to be able to code "robots" that can integrate it with our
      websites and with Twitters, as we have now, as well as other customizations.
      * We'd like to integrate it, now or in the future, with other tools like
      showing web pages, showing videos, working collaboratively on texts,
      wiki pages, diagrams, pictures, etc.
      * We'd like it to be open source with an active developer community.
      * Relate it to voice?
      * Any other ideas?

      It would be good to survey existing technologies. Some new ones are:
      * http://www.mibbit.com a widget for participating in IRC chats through
      your browser
      * http://www.dimdim.com web conferencing

      Franz, Ralf and all, could we talk some time next week? This would be a
      good subject and are there more to focus on? It would also be good to
      be in touch regarding the Global Villages websites, what to do next. I
      haven't done much regarding Thingiverse, but let's double check on our
      priorities. Who else has requests for our websites?

    • Sasha
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 16, 2009
        People from Dreamfish http://dreamfish.com/features/promote-work/ use etherpad http://etherpad.com/3lP4GwggES
        I like this tool, it allows you to use text chat and at the same time write notes for the wiki in the same window. Maybe this would be useful feature for our chat room.

        Sasha