Re: [learningfromeachother] Google Docs/Microsoft Groove

  • Dan Otedo
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 15, 2009

      You are right Ricardo.

      Google docs give permitted users (who may be miles away) or even just an arm’s length the opportunity work together by sharing workspace. I have used Googled docs in organizing workshop with Teachers at Teachers Without Borders Canada and found it convenient exciting. There is also the beauty of being able to work offline for people with challenging internet access. I had not thought of the security issues Benoit raised which is a concern.

       Now I think Microsoft has Groove which works more or less the same way. The word Groove is synonymous to Harmony. May be the word “concord” captures this better. I think this is also a product someone can explore……though quite proprietary….and some would be mortified even thinking about it.

      In the launch bar for Microsoft groove, one is usually prompted, as security measure, with a security warning about the option launching your e-mail client to send data via an e-mail message. I says that Grove unlike other email applications, encrypt and integrity protects all messages sent over the internet. Hence unauthorized users wouldn’t read. Thus it is important to verify the security features of your email program before having a shared workspace.

      I have found that grove enables one to create several workspaces.  A workspace also allows one options of a workspace form as well as use the account on another computer. The workspace manager and communications manager can come in handy. Besides you can even pause and resume all workspaces etc.

      Regards.

      Dan Otedo

       http:/com/profile/DanAndrewOtedo /twbcanada.ning.

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 15, 2009
        Collaborative writing is also a feature of the Free Sugar software for
        the OLPC XO and other Linux systems. Also drawing, music, spreadsheet,
        chat, IRC, programming, science experiments...Students can collaborate
        locally over the XO's mesh network to do homework together, or over
        any distance with an Internet connection to a shared Jabber server.

        If any of you would like to try it, I can tell you how to get Sugar on
        a Stick (USB drive) for your computer, and we can get on the SoaS
        Jabber server together to try it out. It's all Plug and Play.

        http://earthtreasury.org/