Ronal Omondi: Kenyan digital village centres

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 14, 2009
      Ronald,
      This is good news about your studying in the Digital Village
      Entreprenuership programme to set up a Pasha Internet access center. I
      share with several other groups where participants might be interested.

      ronald omondi wrote:

      Hello All
      Internet connection has been a big challenge to the Rural Kenya for a
      long time. Since the year 2007 the govt has been trying to address this
      but with little success. The arrival of fibre optic that was much
      celebrated did not usher in a new wave of this for the Rural communities
      in like my village.
      The Digital Villages that are called Pasha Centres are going to offer IT
      training, Internet Services, Video/Photography centres and also a
      healthpod where telemedicine is to begin taking place. In addition to
      this all Govt documents like IDs, Passport, Tittle deeds, Procurement
      are all to be accessed through this centres as a means of reducing
      corruption within governemnt offices.
      The project is funded by World Bank through the Kenya ICT Board. These
      centres are to be managed by private entreprenuers/local groups whom
      will be required to invest 10% of the total cost of the project and give
      a loan that is to be repayable within three years.
      Currently am undergoing the Digital Villages Entreprenuership programme
      that is a prerequisite to be allowed to run this centres.
      This is a very good project that i know if implemeted as planned then
      we'll be able to solve our long struggle of access to the outside world.
      Looking foreward to lots of coorperation and suggestions from the forum
      to assist us in this venture.
      May you all be well.

      RONALD OTIENO OMONDI
      NYANDO DISTRCIT YOUTH INITIATIVE
      P O BOX 1 AWASI, KISUMU
      KENYA.
      TEL 254 722 480 811
    • Dan Otedo
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 14, 2009

        This is fantastic Ronald.You  and  Paul Oduor, the coordinator Suba Youth Resource Centre have had a wonderful opportunity to help  your respective organisations through this.

        Alas,some computers were stolen from the Suba Centre,night after Paul went for the 3 week Training.I know that such centres will need to invest greatly in community participation and ownership as a security measure.

        I am glad though for having given up my training  opportunity for Paul who is younger and more deserving,and given that with my position at  the ICT Trust, can help move  things for you guys when push comes to shove.I have  a wondeful rapport with the ICT Board and do not hesitate to ask for any favour from me if you must.

        Dan Otedo

        Program Officer

        Kenya ICT Trust Fund. P.O box 8475-00100 Nairobi. Tel: +254203745911 .Mobile:+254720366094

        Email: ifund@... http:/com/profile/DanAndrewOtedo /twbcanada.ning.

        Andrius Kulikauskas, Minciu Sodas, http://www.ms. lt, ms@...

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 14, 2009
          Thank you, Dan, and I share with Ronald. Andrius