Google Docs shared folders for DadaMac work

  • ricardoolpc
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 13, 2009

      Hi Pam

      I just saw an article saying Google Docs have introduced Shared Folders. That could be useful for DadaMac work, such as...

      1. A shared folder for several people to edit a document, such as course-notes or learning material (.doc, .pdf, etc).

      2. A shared folder that you copy 'published' documents to. The author could have read/write privileges, then you give just Read privileges to an invited list of friends or the public.

      http://lifehacker.com/5380067/google-adds-shared-folders-to-docs

      Permanent links from DadaMac.net to the shared folders could let people know where to find the documents.

      For people with intermittent internet-access, such as Fantsuam Foundation, I think Google Gears lets them temporarily break the link to the online document, and edit it offline. When internet access is restored, it re-syncs the offline and online documents.

      http://gears.google.com/

      I don't normally use Google Docs so I haven't tried this out yet. Maybe we can experiment.

      Ricardo

    • Sasha
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 13, 2009
        Hi Ricardo and all,
        Google documents is an excellent tool for work and collaboration, except that it had some serious security flaws. Somebody did stole my gmail account few months ago. This happened because I used gmail and documents at the same time in different tabs in my firefox browser. I don't know did Google solve this issue. Its a odd thing if somebody could reach all your personal data from your mailbox, so this is one thing to look out while using google docs.
        I think the problem is explained here:
        http://news.cnet.com/8301-10789_3-9918582-57.html

        Sasha

        --- In learningfromeachother@yahoogroups.com, "ricardoolpc" <ricardoolpc@...> wrote:

        > Hi Pam
        >
        > I just saw an article saying Google Docs have introduced Shared Folders.
        > That could be useful for DadaMac work, such as...
        >
        > 1. A shared folder for several people to edit a document, such as
        > course-notes or learning material (.doc, .pdf, etc).
        >
        > 2. A shared folder that you copy 'published' documents to. The author
        > could have read/write privileges, then you give just Read privileges to
        > an invited list of friends or the public.
        >
        > http://lifehacker.com/5380067/google-adds-shared-folders-to-docs
        > <http://lifehacker.com/5380067/google-adds-shared-folders-to-docs>
        >
        > Permanent links from DadaMac.net to the shared folders could let people
        > know where to find the documents.
        >
        > For people with intermittent internet-access, such as Fantsuam
        > Foundation, I think Google Gears lets them temporarily break the link to
        > the online document, and edit it offline. When internet access is
        > restored, it re-syncs the offline and online documents.
        >
        > http://gears.google.com/ <http://gears.google.com/>
        >
        > I don't normally use Google Docs so I haven't tried this out yet. Maybe
        > we can experiment.
        >
        > Ricardo

      • Dan Otedo
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 15, 2009

          You are right Ricardo.

          Google docs give permitted users (who may be miles away) or even just an arm’s length the opportunity work together by sharing workspace. I have used Googled docs in organizing workshop with Teachers at Teachers Without Borders Canada and found it convenient exciting. There is also the beauty of being able to work offline for people with challenging internet access. I had not thought of the security issues Benoit raised which is a concern.

           Now I think Microsoft has Groove which works more or less the same way. The word Groove is synonymous to Harmony. May be the word “concord” captures this better. I think this is also a product someone can explore……though quite proprietary….and some would be mortified even thinking about it.

          In the launch bar for Microsoft groove, one is usually prompted, as security measure, with a security warning about the option launching your e-mail client to send data via an e-mail message. I says that Grove unlike other email applications, encrypt and integrity protects all messages sent over the internet. Hence unauthorized users wouldn’t read. Thus it is important to verify the security features of your email program before having a shared workspace.

          I have found that grove enables one to create several workspaces.  A workspace also allows one options of a workspace form as well as use the account on another computer. The workspace manager and communications manager can come in handy. Besides you can even pause and resume all workspaces etc.

          Regards.

          Dan Otedo

           http:/com/profile/DanAndrewOtedo /twbcanada.ning.

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 15, 2009
            Collaborative writing is also a feature of the Free Sugar software for
            the OLPC XO and other Linux systems. Also drawing, music, spreadsheet,
            chat, IRC, programming, science experiments...Students can collaborate
            locally over the XO's mesh network to do homework together, or over
            any distance with an Internet connection to a shared Jabber server.

            If any of you would like to try it, I can tell you how to get Sugar on
            a Stick (USB drive) for your computer, and we can get on the SoaS
            Jabber server together to try it out. It's all Plug and Play.

            http://earthtreasury.org/