Disturbing: The International Contest for Innovation in ICT4D

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 24, 2009
      Eddie Avila, Thank you, I found more information about the contest which
      I also share with COMMUNIA because it is a disturbing example of
      intellectual property terms that I think is imperialist and colonialist
      in that it targets developing countries. (COMMUNIA,
      http://www.communia-project.eu is the European Union's thematic network
      for the Public Domain , which is meeting in Barcelona, Spain on October

      It sounds great, but the explanations are disappointing, even troubling,
      because they are counter to a creative world that is open and sharing.

      "Cre@tic looks for ground-breaking ideas ... Ground-breaking” means
      “original”. ... An idea is original when it is not included in the
      state of the art. ... An idea will be susceptible of business
      application or exploitation when its use is considered to bring business
      opportunities. ... Those ideas that are already included in the state
      of the art or whose ownership belongs to a third party different from
      the applicant will under no circumstances be developed in Cre@tic."
      [Note that ideas that are "state of the art" cannot be patented! which
      seems to be the point here.]

      "The Inventor or Holder of the ground-breaking idea shall authorise CTIC
      Foundation to proceed with the controlled dissemination of the idea in
      the framework and with the confidentiality guarantees of the Cre@tic
      System. ... The Inventor or Holder of the ground-breaking idea commits
      himself/herself to keep it within the Cre@tic System and not to withdraw
      it from it in two (2) years. In exceptional cases, the CTIC Foundation
      may authorise the release of a Cre@tic ground-breaking idea in a shorter
      time. ... The Inventor or Holder of the ground-breaking idea is
      obliged not to hold any kind of negotiation, be it direct or indirect,
      personally or by using an intermediary, with third parties without the
      knowledge and express authorisation of the CTIC Foundation. Failure to
      comply with this exclusivity commitment shall entail the imposition of a
      compensation fee. CTIC Foundation commits itself to keep the Inventor
      or Holder of the ground-breaking idea informed of the professional
      contacts it establishes in the framework of the Cre@tic System to
      promote the development and exploitation of his/her ground-breaking
      idea. CTIC Foundation will urge the Inventor or Holder of the
      ground-breaking idea to apply for the corresponding intellectual or
      industrial property title in order to defend his/her interests when it
      is considered advisable for his/her protection. ... CTIC Foundation
      reserves the right to participate, if agreed by the parties, in the
      development or exploitation processes of Cre@tic’s ground-breaking ideas."

      This is all sponsored by CTIC Foundation, the region of Asturias,
      Fundacion Vodafone Espana, an electronics association and the city
      council of Gijon. The CTIC Foundation is a non-profit private
      organization, constituted by a group of firms from the Information and
      Communication Technologies field, and the Government of the
      Principality of Asturias.

      It's very disappointing to live in a world where governments, businesses
      and non-profits assume that proprietary control is the way to foster
      development. They don't have enough of their own ideas so they are
      reaching out to other people to lock up their ideas for the sake of
      money. Is that the only path to development?

      Is it moral to appeal for "development" (which assumes that people
      should care about each other) yet insist on proprietary control (which
      assumes that people won't care about each other)?

      +370 699 30003