VSO etc Volunteers for Samwel's project's (fish-farming, etc)

  • ricardoolpc
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 24, 2009
      Hi Pam

      I had a chat with Samwel about his sustainable agriculture, sustainable tourism and fish-farming projects. I mentioned that many projects in Nigeria use volunteers from VSO etc, including a fish-farming project similar to his own.

      Samwel asked me to ask you how he would go about getting volunteers from the UK, US, etc for his own projects. Do you have any contacts you could introduce him to? I'm thinking, either of specific volunteers who are in Nigeria right now, or any contacts you or they have in the organisations.

      Apart from the UK VSO (Voluntary Service Overseas) and US Peace Corps, do you know of any other organisations that send volunteers, for any type of project or more-specifically with expertise in sustainable agriculture, sustainable-tourism and fish-farming.

      I think Samwel said in a previous chat that he aims to farm Telapi in ponds, on land near Lake Victoria, Rusinga Island. I seem to remember that might be the same breed of fish as in the Nigerian fish-farm.

      The sustainable tourism guests would stay in a guest house on that land, not Samwel's own home (already full). The guests might be people with an interest in the local wildlife/birdlife on Rusinga Island, Nyanza Area or the lake, or sustainable farming etc, or just interested in a holiday in Kenya. It's quite close to a game-park.

      It would be useful to have people with the subject/technical knowledge and/or the business/accounts side to make sure business-plans are profitable/reliable/not-too-risky.

      Samwel is on the CC list. I hope I've got all this info right.

      Any help with finding volunteers would be much appreciated.

      Cheers.

      Ricardo
    • David mutua
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 5, 2009
        Hi Richard, Pam and Sam,
        Hope this finds you all well, because of my interest in volunteering for development and part of instilling the spirit of volunteering i thought it will be nice if i give some help to Sam's need.

        VSO Jitolee in Kenya might not be the best option for Sam's initiative because their assessment process is strict to work with organizations or communities that have some kind of structure, they demand some committment/contribution from the community or organization such as security assuarance of the volunteer, basic accommodation that is furnished, monthly allowance of Kshs 30,000, and transport while at work.
         Alternatively, you can check with VSO Canada partner  - CUSO Canada, i remember CUSO used to provide all requirements, try to contact Douglas Rusungu or Judy Omega at VSO jitolee Office in Nairobi their emails are  or douglas.rusungu@...  and  judy.omega@... let them know you are trying to enquire about getting VSO or CUSO volunteers. My reference is enough.

        Find below some of the findings from volunteer networks.

        You can join and post your offer for volunteer at The Africa Guide http://www.africaguide.com/forums/list.php?13 also see discussions with people willing to volunteer in Africa from the UK, Canada and US.

        This another link of volunteers working in Kisumu, Kenya  from UK  http://old.tenteleni.org.uk/index.html How to apply http://old.tenteleni.org.uk/volunteer/how-to-apply/index.html

        You might also want to contact this guys about volunteers and how he coordinates them between UK or US to Kisumu -

        Joseph Opiyo Olale
        Friends Pioneer
        P.O.BOX 744, KISUMU KENYA, G.P.O 40100
        Telephone Kenya: +254733843975
        Telephone Sweden: +46738730444
        Will keep you updated on other possibilities...

        Regards,

        David  Mutua

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 7, 2009
          Hi David
          it's nice to hear from you. I hope things are going well for you in USA. I've emailed Samwel, to make sure he sees your message.

          Rich