Worknets Interface Architecture Committee

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 28 2:51 PM
      We're starting a Worknets Interface Architecture Committee. Franz
      Nahrada and I spoke today. Two weeks ago, I also spoke with Franz's
      friend Ralf Schlatterbeck. We'll be meeting online every two weeks or
      so to coordinate our efforts and resources for developing our websites.
      I invite you to join us as you can, either on a regular basis or with
      ideas as they come up.

      Perhaps we could meet during Pamela McLean's next chat, which is
      Thursday, September 3, 2009 starting 13:00 London, 15:00 Kenya? We
      would use Skype alongside our chat room (http://www.worknets.org/chat/ )
      and wiki.

      I'm working on many aspects of our websites
      http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?Interface
      http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?Tasks
      One priority is to make progress on websites related to Franz's vision.
      I'm also interested in responding to Ricardo's needs (such as creating a
      text-to-jpg ebook creator), Edward's needs and more that we might have.

      Franz leads our Global Villages working group
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/globalvillages/
      http://www.globalvillages.info
      His vision of Global Villages is a fundamental layer of our Worknets
      culture. We think it's a natural outcome of organizing around
      independent thinkers.

      Franz is thinking about four websites. I've set up wiki pages so that
      we can collect related knowledge. This is good work for our online
      assistants!

      1) Collaborative Workspace
      http://www.globalvillages.info/wiki.cgi?Workspace
      We've benefited enormously from our chat room, inspired by Pamela McLean
      and Asif Daya. We'll now be expanding our capabilities for live
      meetings. This includes integrating phone and chat in novel ways. Ralf
      is an expert at open source telephony projects. We may have cooperative
      drawing tools. We may use video bridges. Or work together on design
      files (like Thingiverse).

      2) Global Villages Network globalvillages.org
      will be a formal organization and also a social networking space,
      perhaps replacing Franz's Ning, and I suggest, perhaps building on our
      ProWiki.
      http://www.globalvillages.info/wiki.cgi?Network

      3) Global Villages Magazine globalvillages.org
      Franz wants an attractive, inspirational online magazine for the Global
      Villages movement. We can start making lists of authors and articles we
      like, and in general, a reading list for global villages.
      http://www.globalvillages.info/wiki.cgi?Magazine

      4) Global Villages Directory globalvillages.at
      http://www.globalvillages.at/wiki.cgi?Directory
      A comprehensive list of global villages around the world.

      As we add data and examples to the wiki pages, we'll have real data and
      metadata that I can build reports from and that we can use for
      prototyping our system. This will also help us see what is immediately
      useful for us in our work. We can support Samwel Kongere's efforts, for
      example, in sustainable agriculture and tourism.

      We're also interested in a practical approach to presenting data.
      Appropedia.org is unhelpful in answering a question like "What are the
      recommended (or any) options for generating 1,000 watts?" We want to
      organize information (and experiences, stories, people) in terms of such
      basic questions and get related information.

      Michel Bauwens and others are organizing a meeting in Manchester, UK in
      November on related issues of developing websites for online
      collaboration. Ralf will represent us there.

      Franz was disappointed that the Clear Village project in Barcelona is
      charging money for the invited experts like him to participate. (A fact
      not evident from their website). http://www.clear-village.org/about
      He's keen to meet Danish architect Bjarke Ingels http://big.dk and
      others. I also understand now better Franz's dream that we get
      together to use our imagination to design a village of the 21st
      century. Most villages will not arise this way, but rather evolve from
      the existing built environment. Yet imagining and building a village
      from scratch frees us of the constraints on our imagination. This is
      one reason why Marcin Jakubowski's Factor E Farm has been so attractive
      to Franz.

      I invite our help as we develop our websites. I think we'll get much
      done by the end of the year!

      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 7, 2009
        Ralf,
        That's great news.
        I've made a link to the ProWiki code that I'm using:
        http://www.worknets.org/software/20090907wiki.txt
        Please can you compare it with the DorfWiki version? and perhaps combine
        them?

        I would start a SourceForge project (perhaps called WorkNets) which
        could include our ProWiki code and also additional scripts that I am
        using and creating. What do you think?
        Can we talk this week about next steps? What time?

        I also looked at http://www.globalvillage.at Franz, that helps to
        understand your vision. It would be good to coordinate regarding that, too.

        Also, Ricardo and I are making good progress on the Online Text
        Converter. It is working pretty well at
        http://www.worknets.org/software/ebook/ It converts plain text into a
        series of JPG images for view on a DVD player or other device. Josephat
        Ndibalema is interested in publishing learning materials in Kiswahili
        and others in Africa are interested, too. See also:
        http:///www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?OnlineTextConverter It would be good
        to think what kind of materials we should start to publish. Josephat,
        is Thursday a good day to chat? Is 16:00 Kenya time possible? Ricardo,
        Samwel, Tom, could you join us?

        I'm also interested to get our "photo blogs" going quickly so that we
        have streams of photos and captions from our different locations. I
        have built an uploader http://www.worknets.org/software/addphoto.php
        and you can see our photos http://www.ms.lt/?source=Photos so it's
        mostly a matter of formatting them nicely per person.

        I'm very glad that Edward Cherlin http://www.earthtreasury.org and Franz
        Nahrada http://www.globalvillages.info are active at our subwikis. I
        invite us to join me at our chat room http://www.worknets.org/chat/ and
        train with me how to help Edward, Franz and others online. I'm
        interested to build up our Help Room team with our Economy of Dreams
        http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?Dreams and
        http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?Tasks Please let me know what would
        be helpful!

        More thoughts or priorities?