Something Bigger than Life is Trying to Work Through Us

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 22, 2009

      Many of us are concerned with aspects of  "the big picture" - inequalities, education, poverty, global villages, appropriate technologies, peak oil, climate chaos, food security, water, financial systems,  "where the world is going" in general, what we should be doing about it and how - especially now we have the Internet to help us learn from each other and think together.

      The opinions of the independent thinker below may therefore interest some people in Minciu Sodas.

      Pam

      Something Bigger than Life is Trying to Work Through Us http://co-intelligence.org/SomethingBigger.html

      by Tom Atlee (August 2009)

      More and more, I feel called to talk about crises, as creatively and usefully as I can.

      Clearly crises are coming, some are very much here. Once reserved for the fringes, crisis talk has gone mainstream. We aren't talking "apocalyptic extremists" anymore. We're talking the respected chief economist of the International Energy Agency saying we'll be feeling serious economic impact from peak oil in the immediate future <http://tinyurl.com/nmemcg>. We just had four exhausting days of over 100 degree temperatures in my hometown of Eugene, Oregon -- and new reports say that the humongous Greenland ice sheet is going to melt, regardless, more than doubling estimates of sea level rise <http://www.newsweek.com/id/208164>. A scientist friend faulted me for having a few ounces of fish each day for breakfast -- which I do for a cardiovascular condition -- because the oceans are dying <http://tinyurl.com/kk3lug>...

      We can no longer act as if such information is merely the hope-curdling pessimism of doom-and-gloomers. It is now our daily news. But listening to it presents a quandry: On the one hand, it feels increasingly odd to proceed with life as usual in the face of it. On the other hand, what exactly are we supposed to do about it?