Re: Water cart loan questions and plans

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 19, 2009
      I spoke with Tom Ocuka just now.

      His deepest value in life is "Have an environment where people can adapt
      to changes". This is very helpful for us all to know because it helps
      us understand and support him, know where his leadership is most
      natural, understand the personal relevance of his projects and hold him
      accountable to himself.

      His question is "How to empower the community?" and specifically "How to
      involve people to make them independent so they can find water solutions
      for themselves?" as in "How to get water without depending on the common
      source?"

      I approve a loan of 8500 Kenyan shilling (currently about 111.40 USD)
      from my Minciu Sodas funds that Samwel is holding. The loan is for
      constructing one hand cart for water as Tom described. The terms that I
      suggest are that Tom be ready in 6 months to return 75% of the loan per
      my instructions, either to return to Samwel or to hold further. The
      other 25% is for research on this project that Tom will do and share on
      the questions above and other questions that Ricardo, Benoit, I and
      others might ask. This research will include regular updates (at least
      once a month) by email and photos of how the project is unfolding and
      what Tom is learning.

      Tom, do you agree to these terms? If you do, please write us and I
      agree that Samwel release the funds.

      Samwel, do you have any questions? My thought is that Samwel will coach
      Tom on research aspects, what we can all learn and what might interest
      us. This project will be part of Samwel's worknets lab and I hope we
      can build further on that around Samwel's and Tom's leadership,
      including others as well.

      My suggested terms show my economic logic. Minciu Sodas and other
      Worknets labs are about organizing around independent thinkers. So it's
      vital for our investments that we know Tom and focus on his own values,
      questions and growth. That is what builds our economic assets, too. A
      successful research project like this is easily worth $1,000 or more in
      terms of the relationships that it builds amongst us and opens up with
      others. For example, it can link up connections with Mark Chambers of
      http://www.akvo.org "open source for water and sanitation". The
      project needs to stand on such merits for it to be worth me investing
      myself in, for it to be self-sustainable. Whether or not it makes a
      profit or even covers costs is, for me, secondary, if it is
      strengthening our network.

      Samwel, Tom and all, I look forward to thinking through more such loans
      and how best to distribute and apply our resources.

      Tom, thank you for your initiative,

      +370 699 30003
      Dukiskes, Lithuania
    • Janet Feldman
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 20, 2009
        Dear Tom, Andrius, Ricardo, Benoit, and All,

        I have been reading through these letters and thinking along some of the
        same lines as the rest of you, including Tom himself, about
        "sustainability", self-help, income-generation, and independence.

        It's very important to recognize the "interactive" and even "interdependent"
        nature of this project--in an ongoing way--and also to recognize that some
        aspects may be, and hopefully in time will be, more self-directed and
        self-sustaining, after initial inputs from outside sources.

        Tom has spoken in these forums, and also with myself and perhaps others,
        about a photography business that would be set in a garden, where people
        could have wedding photos taken, for example.

        So one question might be: what synergy would or could there be between the
        handcart project and the photography/garden project? Plants need water,
        after all: would they be OK with water that is not as clean, and how will
        that water be transported (would separate carts be used, would it be
        dangerous to use carts for both, or would there be some other method of
        irrigation)? Do the plants instead need clean water, the same kind that
        humans drink?

        Another question might be: can this enterprise generate income that is
        self-sustaining for one or two individuals (or more), or that at the least
        can be directed back into other projects of benefit to Tom (to help improve
        his livelihood), and/or to the general and Deaf communities in Kisumu, and
        perhaps beyond?

        Tom has a variety of ideas, projects, and a wish-list of needs that link to
        members of the Deaf community he serves in Kisumu. One is for bicycles,
        another is for mobile phones and ICTs (both equipment and learning about how
        to use them), though on the latter score Ricardo has been immensely helpful.

        Can this handcart project be linked in some direct way to your current
        ICTs-related capacities, Tom? And/or could it be linked to some future
        needs, ideas, or projects you hope to do, that are ICTs-related?
        Ricardo's feedback on this matter is also be greatly appreciated!

        Related to bicycles, Tom, I would be interested to consider stretching my
        own budget right now to include a loan for a second handcart (you have
        mentioned needing two), especially if that somehow might help Evelyn to
        acquire a bicycle. Is that a possible trade-off, or do you think it would be
        too hard in the short-term to make the $100 needed for a bicycle, from this
        handcart project?

        I want to make special note of Benoit's response on this issue, because he
        frames it in a more transcendent and spiritual way than we have generally
        been thinking of it. This is crucial, because safe water is or should be a
        human right, and there is certainly something of the sacred about this
        resource.

        Therefore, while it is fine and even important to think of this project in
        "material" terms, we will hopefully keep in mind that access to clean water
        is not just a "market" issue, but a human-rights concern. Thanks immensely
        for helping us to see that larger picture, Brother B!!

        Several other items:

        1) I have made contact during this past week with a researcher in the
        International Program of Gallaudet College, the premier university for
        people in the Deaf community in the USA. She is in the process of mapping
        where Deaf organizations and activities are located worldwide. She is very
        interested to know about Tom and Deaf Impact Ministry, and perhaps the
        handcart idea and project would be of special value, including if it could
        be disseminated globally as a source of possible income-generation and
        independence for people who are deaf. http://cips.gallaudet.edu

        2) Also this week is a posting from one of the board members of the World
        AIDS Marathon (www.worldaidsmarathon.com), an event that is held yearly in
        Kisumu, Kenya (note: I worked on the first WAM in 2004, and this is where
        Samwel and I got to know each other...I was already at MS, from an intro by
        Joy Tang of oneVillage Foundation, and told Sam that he too should join
        us...the rest is history, and herstory :)))). The creator of WAM, Richard
        Brodsky, remains a friend and fellow member of the Kenyan Diaspora nonprofit
        I mentioned in my last personal update.

        This board member was writing to inform those cc'd about the "Safe Water and
        AIDS Project (SWAP)", and this is what she says:

        "SWAP has been blessed by many loyal donors and has been able to expand its
        activities throughout Western and Nyanza Province in Kenya. Over 700 HIV
        support groups and other community groups have been engaged as vendors of
        safe water treatment and health products. However, in order to think about
        its own financial sustainabillity, SWAP has developed a business plan with
        the help of a business consultant. The implementation of this would generate
        enough income for the organization to pay for its salaries and overhead
        costs within three years. This would reduce donor dependancy and achieve
        self reliance.

        SWAP has the ambition to design, construct and operate a conference facility
        and a hotel/guest house and restaurant which would target visitors from
        oversees and middle class Kenyans. The guesthouse would accommodate the many
        visitors and researchers visiting SWAP. The conference centre would enable
        SWAP and many other NGO's to hold their meetings and trainings. It would be
        combined with a SWAP model village where SWAP will take some of the
        potential visitors to showcase all the interventions, and where SWAP would
        put up a water treatment technology to provide water for the
        neighboring communities. The intervention would create employment for the
        SWAP groups.

        For those interested we can send you our business plan. For those who wish
        to donate, please contact us so that we provide you with our banking
        details. In the meantime please browse on our website at www.swapkenya.org
        for more informatin on Safe Water and AIDS Project (SWAP)."

        It appears that great minds think alike, and that there might be some
        wonderful synergies between SWAP, Deaf Impact Ministry and other groups in W
        Kenya and beyond, Minciu Sodas, and others. HIV/AIDS and a focus on clean
        water is an inspired pairing, as the latter is so essential to health,
        especially for those with compromised immune systems.

        Deaf Impact Ministry and so many other groups and individuals in Kenya, in
        this forum, and globally are deeply concerned and affected by HIV/AIDS, so
        linkages between health, safe water, sanitation, environmental and human
        sustainability, ICTs, and more are either already present, or can be easily
        created. Note the focus on sustainability (Sam, Tom, all), and on tourism!

        I am thinking that perhaps Tom and his handcarts could somehow be a part of
        the World AIDS Marathon. Tom is a member of the Kenyan Community Abroad (the
        Kenyan Diaspora nonprofit I have mentioned), as is Richard, and I am one of
        its officers. Richard undoubtedly already knows about Tom: now all it takes
        is a personal introduction!

        I will close on that note, and look forward to the unfolding of this
        project, including how it might be helpful to our other MS members, in Kenya
        and globally.

        With blessings always and excitement! Janet

        > His deepest value in life is "Have an environment where people can adapt
        > to changes". This is very helpful for us all to know because it helps
        > us understand and support him, know where his leadership is most
        > natural, understand the personal relevance of his projects and hold him
        > accountable to himself.
        >
        > His question is "How to empower the community?" and specifically "How to
        > involve people to make them independent so they can find water solutions
        > for themselves?" as in "How to get water without depending on the common
        > source?"
        >
        > I approve a loan of 8500 Kenyan shilling (currently about 111.40 USD)
        > from my Minciu Sodas funds that Samwel is holding. The loan is for
        > constructing one hand cart for water as Tom described. The terms that I
        > suggest are that Tom be ready in 6 months to return 75% of the loan per
        > my instructions, either to return to Samwel or to hold further. The
        > other 25% is for research on this project that Tom will do and share on
        > the questions above and other questions that Ricardo, Benoit, I and
        > others might ask. This research will include regular updates (at least
        > once a month) by email and photos of how the project is unfolding and
        > what Tom is learning.
        >
        > Tom, do you agree to these terms? If you do, please write us and I
        > agree that Samwel release the funds.
        >
        > Samwel, do you have any questions? My thought is that Samwel will coach
        > Tom on research aspects, what we can all learn and what might interest
        > us. This project will be part of Samwel's worknets lab and I hope we
        > can build further on that around Samwel's and Tom's leadership,
        > including others as well.
        >
        > My suggested terms show my economic logic. Minciu Sodas and other
        > Worknets labs are about organizing around independent thinkers. So it's
        > vital for our investments that we know Tom and focus on his own values,
        > questions and growth. That is what builds our economic assets, too. A
        > successful research project like this is easily worth $1,000 or more in
        > terms of the relationships that it builds amongst us and opens up with
        > others. For example, it can link up connections with Mark Chambers of
        > http://www.akvo.org "open source for water and sanitation". The
        > project needs to stand on such merits for it to be worth me investing
        > myself in, for it to be self-sustainable. Whether or not it makes a
        > profit or even covers costs is, for me, secondary, if it is
        > strengthening our network.
        >
        > Samwel, Tom and all, I look forward to thinking through more such loans
        > and how best to distribute and apply our resources.
        >
        > Tom, thank you for your initiative,
        >
        > Andrius
        >
        > Andrius Kulikauskas
        > Minciu Sodas