Re: Water cart loan questions and plans

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 19, 2009
      Hi Tom,

      Thank you for writing more about your project.

      You write that your question is: How to obtain water to help community
      without using water pipes?

      I think you already have an answer to this question: You will build a
      hand cart.

      For this project to make sense for Minciu Sodas, we need to learn
      something new. What is it that you don't know already that you would
      like to learn?

      These could be questions regarding the economics of your project (the
      supply and the demand, the prices, the workers, the business model), the
      construction of your cart (how to build it, how to improve it), the
      motivation of your workers (what is an optimal work load for them), the
      social impact (additional services or value that you can add, your
      opportunity to organize people), the replicability (where might this be
      relevant elsewhere and what is required) and so on.

      Please be more specific, what might be interesting to you and us about
      your project. There can be many questions.

      Also, please, I don't have a list of your deepest value in life. Maybe I
      never asked you.

      * Do you have a deepest value in your life that includes all of your
      other values? (This helps me and others organize around you.)
      * What is a question that you don't know the answer to, but wish to answer?
      * And how might that question relate to your hand cart project?

      This is key for our success together. Thank you for your dedication.

      Samwel and all, do you have any questions or ideas?

      +370 699 30003

      Dear Andrius ,Ricardo ,Samuel, Pam and all,
      I have one question that is difficult to answer and that is how to
      obtain water to help community ,without using water Pipes ,its indeed a
      difficult question Water apart from being a source of livelihood is
      medicine,
      It cures both human beings and livestock, I would like to have two Water
      handcarts from Aloan provided by Andrius.
      How this Water cart is made.

      It requires the Z tubes of iron bars and some flat iron ,its a
      rectangular Iron made water cart pulled by two old car tryres ,this old
      car tyres will last for several months perhaps one year before replacement.

      The cart size:

      This cart is made of running length is 5.6ft while the width is 2.26ft
      Going down to the carriage its 1.5ft in size that’s depth enough to fit
      the standard size Jeri-canns.
      After completion timber of 3 lengths is added at the bottom of 1.6 fit
      each they need to spaced so that when water leaks when the lead is
      covered dry up at the bottom preventing the rubbing or friction and
      makes nice resting place for Jeri -cans.
      Apiece of metal to act as stands are made to Both Ends to make a resting
      place when water is filled at the collecting points.

      The handles are made using pipes of 2inches diameter and 1ft length bent
      to form a bend for easy hands to push both sides and we have Rubber
      pipes fitted to prevent fiction when one is pushing or sweat which can
      make the hands to sleep of so that there is total control for the user
      /Driver.

      Usage/Domestic and Commercially:

      This water is used with the community around Nyamasaria slums and serves
      both houses and schools within, with this provision diseases are
      prevented ,congestion at the water drawing point controlled livelihoods
      saved both ANIMALS AND HUMAN beings.

      There are other local methods which pose risk to the community, they can
      get untreated water, where others use for wash nearby the river but
      really Dangerous, with Diarrhea, typhoid/skin infections and cannot
      clean white or bright clothing.

      This water cart saves time and money many travel kilometers for
      a20litres while its easy to ferry the 12 Jeri cans of 20 liters each to
      nay destination ,for me I will save 7ksh per 20 liters ,it depends on
      the distance.

      Those who drive them are paid ksh 100 each day and keep 50 to save for
      the water cart for maintenance and loans repay. From this saving will
      collect ksh 50 from every cart each day multiplied by 2 that’s 100 and 6
      Days is ksh 600 and minus 100 for greasing because it has bearings.

      What will the community learn.
      1Savings and Loan from Water project
      2Health
      3Re use of old car tryres.
      4It will also offer Employment to youths around.
      Andrius will provide methods of paying this loan whether online by
      making postings to yahoo-groups or any other means provided, ill be
      ready for any.

      I plan to pay the Loan monthly for the next 5 months
      I will open local bank account costing ksh 3000 for this project and
      save in order to payback to Andrius maybe if the paying process is provided.

      Am interested in the next Project upon finishing the final loan
      installments.
      This is particular community not Nyanza as a province that requires a
      bigger intervention.
      Thanks

      TOM OCHUKA
    • ms@ms.lt
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 19, 2009
        Benoit,
        "Who has interest in water?" is a great question from my own point of
        view. I will call Tom Ochuka and talk with him. Thank you, Ricardo for
        all of your help! and Mark for your advice and links.

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 19, 2009
          I spoke with Tom Ocuka just now.

          His deepest value in life is "Have an environment where people can adapt
          to changes". This is very helpful for us all to know because it helps
          us understand and support him, know where his leadership is most
          natural, understand the personal relevance of his projects and hold him
          accountable to himself.

          His question is "How to empower the community?" and specifically "How to
          involve people to make them independent so they can find water solutions
          for themselves?" as in "How to get water without depending on the common
          source?"

          I approve a loan of 8500 Kenyan shilling (currently about 111.40 USD)
          from my Minciu Sodas funds that Samwel is holding. The loan is for
          constructing one hand cart for water as Tom described. The terms that I
          suggest are that Tom be ready in 6 months to return 75% of the loan per
          my instructions, either to return to Samwel or to hold further. The
          other 25% is for research on this project that Tom will do and share on
          the questions above and other questions that Ricardo, Benoit, I and
          others might ask. This research will include regular updates (at least
          once a month) by email and photos of how the project is unfolding and
          what Tom is learning.

          Tom, do you agree to these terms? If you do, please write us and I
          agree that Samwel release the funds.

          Samwel, do you have any questions? My thought is that Samwel will coach
          Tom on research aspects, what we can all learn and what might interest
          us. This project will be part of Samwel's worknets lab and I hope we
          can build further on that around Samwel's and Tom's leadership,
          including others as well.

          My suggested terms show my economic logic. Minciu Sodas and other
          Worknets labs are about organizing around independent thinkers. So it's
          vital for our investments that we know Tom and focus on his own values,
          questions and growth. That is what builds our economic assets, too. A
          successful research project like this is easily worth $1,000 or more in
          terms of the relationships that it builds amongst us and opens up with
          others. For example, it can link up connections with Mark Chambers of
          http://www.akvo.org "open source for water and sanitation". The
          project needs to stand on such merits for it to be worth me investing
          myself in, for it to be self-sustainable. Whether or not it makes a
          profit or even covers costs is, for me, secondary, if it is
          strengthening our network.

          Samwel, Tom and all, I look forward to thinking through more such loans
          and how best to distribute and apply our resources.

          Tom, thank you for your initiative,

          +370 699 30003
          Dukiskes, Lithuania
        • Janet Feldman
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 20, 2009
            Dear Tom, Andrius, Ricardo, Benoit, and All,

            I have been reading through these letters and thinking along some of the
            same lines as the rest of you, including Tom himself, about
            "sustainability", self-help, income-generation, and independence.

            It's very important to recognize the "interactive" and even "interdependent"
            nature of this project--in an ongoing way--and also to recognize that some
            aspects may be, and hopefully in time will be, more self-directed and
            self-sustaining, after initial inputs from outside sources.

            Tom has spoken in these forums, and also with myself and perhaps others,
            about a photography business that would be set in a garden, where people
            could have wedding photos taken, for example.

            So one question might be: what synergy would or could there be between the
            handcart project and the photography/garden project? Plants need water,
            after all: would they be OK with water that is not as clean, and how will
            that water be transported (would separate carts be used, would it be
            dangerous to use carts for both, or would there be some other method of
            irrigation)? Do the plants instead need clean water, the same kind that
            humans drink?

            Another question might be: can this enterprise generate income that is
            self-sustaining for one or two individuals (or more), or that at the least
            can be directed back into other projects of benefit to Tom (to help improve
            his livelihood), and/or to the general and Deaf communities in Kisumu, and
            perhaps beyond?

            Tom has a variety of ideas, projects, and a wish-list of needs that link to
            members of the Deaf community he serves in Kisumu. One is for bicycles,
            another is for mobile phones and ICTs (both equipment and learning about how
            to use them), though on the latter score Ricardo has been immensely helpful.

            Can this handcart project be linked in some direct way to your current
            ICTs-related capacities, Tom? And/or could it be linked to some future
            needs, ideas, or projects you hope to do, that are ICTs-related?
            Ricardo's feedback on this matter is also be greatly appreciated!

            Related to bicycles, Tom, I would be interested to consider stretching my
            own budget right now to include a loan for a second handcart (you have
            mentioned needing two), especially if that somehow might help Evelyn to
            acquire a bicycle. Is that a possible trade-off, or do you think it would be
            too hard in the short-term to make the $100 needed for a bicycle, from this
            handcart project?

            I want to make special note of Benoit's response on this issue, because he
            frames it in a more transcendent and spiritual way than we have generally
            been thinking of it. This is crucial, because safe water is or should be a
            human right, and there is certainly something of the sacred about this
            resource.

            Therefore, while it is fine and even important to think of this project in
            "material" terms, we will hopefully keep in mind that access to clean water
            is not just a "market" issue, but a human-rights concern. Thanks immensely
            for helping us to see that larger picture, Brother B!!

            Several other items:

            1) I have made contact during this past week with a researcher in the
            International Program of Gallaudet College, the premier university for
            people in the Deaf community in the USA. She is in the process of mapping
            where Deaf organizations and activities are located worldwide. She is very
            interested to know about Tom and Deaf Impact Ministry, and perhaps the
            handcart idea and project would be of special value, including if it could
            be disseminated globally as a source of possible income-generation and
            independence for people who are deaf. http://cips.gallaudet.edu

            2) Also this week is a posting from one of the board members of the World
            AIDS Marathon (www.worldaidsmarathon.com), an event that is held yearly in
            Kisumu, Kenya (note: I worked on the first WAM in 2004, and this is where
            Samwel and I got to know each other...I was already at MS, from an intro by
            Joy Tang of oneVillage Foundation, and told Sam that he too should join
            us...the rest is history, and herstory :)))). The creator of WAM, Richard
            Brodsky, remains a friend and fellow member of the Kenyan Diaspora nonprofit
            I mentioned in my last personal update.

            This board member was writing to inform those cc'd about the "Safe Water and
            AIDS Project (SWAP)", and this is what she says:

            "SWAP has been blessed by many loyal donors and has been able to expand its
            activities throughout Western and Nyanza Province in Kenya. Over 700 HIV
            support groups and other community groups have been engaged as vendors of
            safe water treatment and health products. However, in order to think about
            its own financial sustainabillity, SWAP has developed a business plan with
            the help of a business consultant. The implementation of this would generate
            enough income for the organization to pay for its salaries and overhead
            costs within three years. This would reduce donor dependancy and achieve
            self reliance.

            SWAP has the ambition to design, construct and operate a conference facility
            and a hotel/guest house and restaurant which would target visitors from
            oversees and middle class Kenyans. The guesthouse would accommodate the many
            visitors and researchers visiting SWAP. The conference centre would enable
            SWAP and many other NGO's to hold their meetings and trainings. It would be
            combined with a SWAP model village where SWAP will take some of the
            potential visitors to showcase all the interventions, and where SWAP would
            put up a water treatment technology to provide water for the
            neighboring communities. The intervention would create employment for the
            SWAP groups.

            For those interested we can send you our business plan. For those who wish
            to donate, please contact us so that we provide you with our banking
            details. In the meantime please browse on our website at www.swapkenya.org
            for more informatin on Safe Water and AIDS Project (SWAP)."

            It appears that great minds think alike, and that there might be some
            wonderful synergies between SWAP, Deaf Impact Ministry and other groups in W
            Kenya and beyond, Minciu Sodas, and others. HIV/AIDS and a focus on clean
            water is an inspired pairing, as the latter is so essential to health,
            especially for those with compromised immune systems.

            Deaf Impact Ministry and so many other groups and individuals in Kenya, in
            this forum, and globally are deeply concerned and affected by HIV/AIDS, so
            linkages between health, safe water, sanitation, environmental and human
            sustainability, ICTs, and more are either already present, or can be easily
            created. Note the focus on sustainability (Sam, Tom, all), and on tourism!

            I am thinking that perhaps Tom and his handcarts could somehow be a part of
            the World AIDS Marathon. Tom is a member of the Kenyan Community Abroad (the
            Kenyan Diaspora nonprofit I have mentioned), as is Richard, and I am one of
            its officers. Richard undoubtedly already knows about Tom: now all it takes
            is a personal introduction!

            I will close on that note, and look forward to the unfolding of this
            project, including how it might be helpful to our other MS members, in Kenya
            and globally.

            With blessings always and excitement! Janet

            > His deepest value in life is "Have an environment where people can adapt
            > to changes". This is very helpful for us all to know because it helps
            > us understand and support him, know where his leadership is most
            > natural, understand the personal relevance of his projects and hold him
            > accountable to himself.
            >
            > His question is "How to empower the community?" and specifically "How to
            > involve people to make them independent so they can find water solutions
            > for themselves?" as in "How to get water without depending on the common
            > source?"
            >
            > I approve a loan of 8500 Kenyan shilling (currently about 111.40 USD)
            > from my Minciu Sodas funds that Samwel is holding. The loan is for
            > constructing one hand cart for water as Tom described. The terms that I
            > suggest are that Tom be ready in 6 months to return 75% of the loan per
            > my instructions, either to return to Samwel or to hold further. The
            > other 25% is for research on this project that Tom will do and share on
            > the questions above and other questions that Ricardo, Benoit, I and
            > others might ask. This research will include regular updates (at least
            > once a month) by email and photos of how the project is unfolding and
            > what Tom is learning.
            >
            > Tom, do you agree to these terms? If you do, please write us and I
            > agree that Samwel release the funds.
            >
            > Samwel, do you have any questions? My thought is that Samwel will coach
            > Tom on research aspects, what we can all learn and what might interest
            > us. This project will be part of Samwel's worknets lab and I hope we
            > can build further on that around Samwel's and Tom's leadership,
            > including others as well.
            >
            > My suggested terms show my economic logic. Minciu Sodas and other
            > Worknets labs are about organizing around independent thinkers. So it's
            > vital for our investments that we know Tom and focus on his own values,
            > questions and growth. That is what builds our economic assets, too. A
            > successful research project like this is easily worth $1,000 or more in
            > terms of the relationships that it builds amongst us and opens up with
            > others. For example, it can link up connections with Mark Chambers of
            > http://www.akvo.org "open source for water and sanitation". The
            > project needs to stand on such merits for it to be worth me investing
            > myself in, for it to be self-sustainable. Whether or not it makes a
            > profit or even covers costs is, for me, secondary, if it is
            > strengthening our network.
            >
            > Samwel, Tom and all, I look forward to thinking through more such loans
            > and how best to distribute and apply our resources.
            >
            > Tom, thank you for your initiative,
            >
            > Andrius
            >
            > Andrius Kulikauskas
            > Minciu Sodas