Re: Worknet/ProWiki, overall architecture?

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 12, 2009

      Thank you for your feedback. It's good to be in touch regarding this.
      I forward your letter to Franz Nahrada and Global Villages and other
      groups. We're both quite a bit invested in ProWiki, but it's certainly
      good to think more broadly what to do. I think it would be best to
      choose a wiki that has an active community. Franz has a preference for
      fractal wikis but I've never found that vital and actually thinking from
      scratch I'd take a different approach.

      I started out using Lucid Fried Eggs by Stephen Danic and then switched
      in 2003 to a real wiki, PmWiki, encouraged by Rick Nelson. I think that
      was adequate for our needs. At the time I surveyed the existing wikis
      and was turned off by Mediawiki because it requires the use of a
      database such as MySQL. I'm glad that ProWiki like PmWiki uses pages
      for storing data. That makes it much easier for me (and I imagine
      others) to make custom applications that work with the wiki pages.

      It would be good to survey again existing technologies.

      Edward if you and perhaps others would be interested in thinking through
      an overall architecture for Worknets websites, then I would be
      interested to consider using a different wiki. But we'd have to build a
      team to commit to developing a shared foundation for our websites and
      the functionality we want. That will be relevant if we'd like to
      interact more. But then we need to be in touch!

      I will be developing our websites intensely throughout the rest of this
      year. You can see the approach I'm taking at http://www.ms.lt If I
      know your needs, Franz's etc. then I can try to respond. Ultimately, we
      need to build a team of developers.

      But most important is an attempt and ultimately a commitment to a shared
      approach to our websites and related resources.