SUBA YOUTH RESOURCE CENTRE

  • Dan Otedo
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 12, 2009

      I have been sucked of late in whirli-gig path of providing ICT for education by getting to have teachers and Youth polytechnic instructors to embrace ICT’s. Sometimes, teaching Integration of ICT in teaching (ICT and pedagogy workshops) and at times, adoption of e-learning for sustainable development in Youth polytechnics.

       I see the beautiful thing in having people use ICT’s for meaningful purposes and having the delight and satisfaction in experiencing with the teachers, the transformation that rejuvenates a sense of purpose and worth in them, as technology helps them make their work easier. Thank you all those from whom we have learnt albeit sometimes in varied ways, by providing us with lifelong lessons .Like Ken says 'a candle does not die out because of lighting another candle’

      We have just completed a two week ICT and pedagogy workshop at the Suba youth Resource Centre, with Teachers without Borders Canada. http://twbcanada.ning.com  The Suba Youth Resource Centre, has been completely re-energized by the by the powerful ICT integration workshops. Our first itinerary involved random/ arbitrary school visits with permission from the Ministry of Education-Directorate of quality assurance .We took our guests to schools in the Kibuogi, Rusinga, Mfangano and Remba islands of Lake Victoria and also mainland Mbita.

      The TWB-C team wanted to see the challenges the teachers and children face in and out school so as to inform the workshop design. At Nyanden'ga   and Kibuogi primary schools we had to invite 2 teachers on the spot to come for the workshops due to the appalling conditions the schools faced. This of course was in realization the role ICT's could play in reversing /overcoming the challenges times we had to invite some teachers.

       A total of 50 teachers from secondary, Primary and Kindergarten have been trained in various areas  and .We have had the wonderful satisfaction in experiencing with the teachers, the transformation that rejuvenates the teacher in them. Also important was the rediscovery of the teacher's role as leading change agents in the community. Technology is going to play a key role in facilitating teaching, learning and helps them make their work easier.

      In spite of the various challenges the SYRC faced with regard to power, internet connectivity and computer hardware the, TWB-C team installed at the Suba centre, a robust and reliable access to e-learning resources by way of the e-granary http://www.widernet.org/digitallibrary  which is basically an internet in a box with millions of resources for teachers, the youth and other professionals in Suba District. We borrowed 4 computers from St Williams Osodo secondary school to use at the workshops .We had to design the workshops in shifts with two groups, one using the computer lab which had a total of 10 computers, and the other, having sessions which use of computer was not that obligatory.

      The teachers, some of whom had no prior ICT skills amazed us by making wonderful teaching resources using Microsoft movie maker. These they, shared amongst themselves and took home in flash discs provided by TWB-C. The trainees demonstrated creative thinking, amazing ability to construct knowledge and develop innovative teaching resources using technology. Not only did they apply existing knowledge to generate new ideas, express themselves by creating original works, they also are able to interact and collaborate with fellow teachers outside Kenya and with peers and experts all over the world. You should have seen our group Skype sessions with teachers in Canada! The awe, the excitement, and the desire to learn more was almost overwhelming.

      I see the Suba centre mentoring teachers and putting them on the path of Technology though Innovation and Creativity and Collaboration. It is not lost on us that as teachers and the youth interact to communicate information and ideas effectively to multiple audiences in different media formats, they will help in developing cultural understanding and global awareness which is a big problem in African countries. I am glad to be part of this team process which in a meaningful way I believe we can domesticate to engender tolerance and cultivate peace amongst Kenyan people.  If you ask me, I have always maintained that ICT's if well used, can harness a potential that can transform our societies. Well run/managed Community Teaching and Learning Centers have the opportunity of transforming our society.

      The provision of e-granary by TWB-C, and infusion of technology in teaching and learning will go a long way in transforming teacher practice in Suba District.  We still do not have internet, though the e-granary will require updating from time to time.

      The teachers came out with a team of five volunteers  to formulate a technology  learning plan  in using  ICT  resources at the  SYRC to facilitate engaging approaches  to learning .Core to this will be  coming with ways in helping teachers to acquire  hands on  ICT skills and to  ensure  that the project is not a one off training, but continuous, more like Pamela MacLean is doing with teachers in Nigeria.

      Name

      Position/place of work

      Mohammed Hussein

      Staffing officer- Ministry  of Education -Suba District

      Hellen Ogema

      Senior Teacher -St Joseph Kakrigu girls Secondary School

      Catherine Musera

      Secretary Suba Teachers guidance  and Counseling Association

      Teacher at Gingo Secondary school

      Paul  Oduor Okoth

      Youth coordinator -Suba  Youth Resource Centre(Volunteer)

      Reuben Ogwan'g

      Headmaster  Nyanden'ga Primary school

      I will soon be posting about the workshops in my page at the teachers without borders website http://twbcanada.ning.com/profile/DanAndrewOtedo we do not have a website for the Suba Youth Resource Centre at the moment (will appreciate if somebody helped with this)

      Dan Andrew Otedo.
      SYC/Voluntee,Kenya ICT Trust Fund
      P.O Box 18 code 40305.Cell phone :+254720366094.
      Suba Youth Resource Centre is an Initiative of Suba Teachers Guidance and Counseling Association(SUTGUCA)

      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 12, 2009
        Dan,
        Thank you for your detailed report! You add:

        > I will soon be posting about the workshops in my page at the teachers
        > without borders website
        > http://twbcanada.ning.com/profile/DanAndrewOtedo we do not have a
        > website for the Suba Youth Resource Centre at the moment /(will
        > appreciate if somebody helped with this)/

        Would your website be Public Domain (except where noted otherwise)?
        Then Minciu Sodas would gladly host you and provide a domain, too. I
        would set up a system where you would create content at our Worknets
        wiki and it would appear at your website (much like
        http://www.pyramidofpeace.net which draws content from
        http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?PyramidOfPeaceTimeline for example).
        In exchange, I would appreciate help manning our help room and training
        locally and globally to be online assistants and web developers.

        Dan, it would be great to work together! I make a similar offer to
        others in our networks.