Thursday chat; Ricardo's USB + Phone idea

  • ms@ms.lt
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2009
      Pamela, I look forward to chatting with you on Thursday at 13.00 Nigerian
      time, 15,00 Kenyan time, 13.00 British Summer time at
      http://www.worknets.org/chat/ All are welcome! I invite ideas for our
      new web interface http://www.ms.lt Andrius
      ------------------

      Ricardo,

      I saw a link today which reminded me of your idea that phones should have
      USB ports. I blogged about it at http://www.includer.org

      What do you think?

      EU Industry Commissioner Guenter Verheugen announced that Nokia, Sony
      Ericsson, Motorola, Apple, LG, Research in Motion and other phone makers
      have signed an agreement to make their data-enabled phones compatible with
      standard charging devices based on a standard micro-USB socket.
      http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idCALT4437920090629?rpc=44
      There are 400 million phones in Europe and 185 million new phones are sold
      each year. In 2010, about half of these new phones will be data enabled
      phones.

      The European Union pushed for this agreement so as to reduce waste. This
      is also a wonderful step forward towards Ricardo’s vision (in Episode 4)
      of USB Host Capability for basic phones. There will soon be millions of
      used phones with micro-USB sockets and we can experiment as Ricardo
      envisions. If there is a need, then I think it should be straightforward
      for phone makers to offer and expand USB functions.

      In October, Ricardo submitted his idea for the Google challenge Ten to the
      Hundredth. They were supposed to announce the top 100 ideas on January
      27, 2009. They received more than 150,000 ideas and have yet to announce
      any of them. It is a shame that they didn’t collect them openly and we
      could be working on them ourselves! (See Episode 7, Vote for Losers) .

      Meanwhile, the Knight News Challenge has declared its winners. The
      Challenge gave out half the money it had intended to, because of the
      financial crisis. I looked up my own idea, Help Room of Episode 6, and
      here’s what I find:
      WEB PAGE NO LONGER EXISTS
      The page you are looking for no longer exists or is unavailable.
      Please access the home page to explore more content on this site.

      Greetings from the COMMUNIA meeting in Torino where we’re discussing the
      Scientific Commons. I suppose that a key goal might be, how do we keep
      alive the losing ideas so that they might develop into winners?