Open Knowledge Foundation projects, let's help, thanks to Mornflake

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 16, 2009

      Thank you for your helpful list of ways to volunteer. I ask Minciu
      Sodas participants to respond. How might you help the Open Knowledge
      Foundation? I can provide (thanks to Mornflake cereal
      http://www.mornflake.com) a 50 GBP stipend for 20 or so hours of work,
      depending on the person and circumstances, and we may work together some
      how. Wendi Loshe Bernadette in Cameroon is already interested (thank you!)

      I'm especially interested in ways that we can do online outreach.
      Translating the Open Knowledge Definition http://opendefinition.org/1.0/
      is a great opportunity for us (and for Mornflake) because we can go to
      different UK online communities in different languages, we can ask for
      their help and also send people who can help there and work on it
      together. That way we discover which communities are responsive. I
      note that you already have Català | Dansk | Deutsch | Ellinika | Español
      | Euskara | Italiano | Polszczyzna | Srpski | Íslenska. This also makes
      it possible for me to provide more funds.

      We're meeting people in creative communities who might be interested in
      Open Shakespeare and helping with illustration or design.

      Edward Cherlin leads us in creating open source textbooks,
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/earthtreasury/ so certainly we'd like to
      be active there, and we can also engage UK online communities in doing that.

      We can also engage UK online communities to see who might use or share
      or comment on information from the European Open Data Inventory.

      Thank you for thinking of us! I invite response and will engage more

      +370 699 30003

      Jonathan Gray wrote:
      > On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 12:48 PM, Andrius Kulikauskas<ms@...> wrote:
      >> I encourage Minciu Sodas participants to write, how might we help? I will
      >> provide a small stipend (50 GBP) for 20 or so hours of work. Let's also
      >> think about synergies, how might our projects benefit from Open Knowledge
      >> Foundation? and then we can do that much more.
      > Dear Andrius,
      > Many thanks for your message and for your kind pledge of twenty hours
      > of volunteer time! There are plenty of things volunteers could do to
      > help at the OKF. It would be great to hear more about the interests of
      > the participants who might work with us.
      > A few immediate things that I can think of:
      > * Translating the Open Knowledge Definition (opendefinition.org)
      > * Curating/archiving books at Open Text Book (opentextbook.org)
      > * Registering open data on CKAN (ckan.net)
      > * Book design for Open Shakespeare (openshakespeare.org)
      > There is some more information on volunteering at the OKF below...
      > Warm regards,
      Jonathan Gray

      Community Coordinator
      The Open Knowledge Foundation

      ## Volunteer with the Open Knowledge Foundation! ##

      The Open Knowledge Foundation (http://www.okfn.org) is a
      not-for-profit organisation that promotes knowledge that can be freely
      used, reused and redistributed - from sonnets to statistics, genes to
      geodata. It hosts a wide variety of volunteer driven projects and
      working groups that aim to produce and distribute open knowledge.

      Whether you are interested in making new editions of literary works in
      the public domain, making interactive visualisations of socioeconomic
      data, or in sharing textbooks for educational projects - there is sure
      to be something of interest! Current projects requiring volunteers

      * Open Shakespeare and Open Milton: complete editions of Shakespeare
      and Milton's works along with tools for analysing the texts - freely
      available for anyone to use or share. We need volunteers to proof edit
      and format texts, or even to create an original book cover design for
      a print edition of the plays!

      * Open Text Book: one of the primary online listings and repositories
      of textbooks free to access, build on and re-distribute. We need the
      assistance of a part-time editor to curate and extend our current
      listing and blog about new finds.

      * Open Economics "Where Does My Money Go": developer and researcher
      needed to develop prize-winning "Where Does My Money Go" project
      proposal which aims to help citizens make sense of UK government

      * European Open Data Inventory: Just launched in Brussels - the
      project aims to track down and document official information from
      public bodies across Europe. Get stuck into the budgets, socioeconomic
      information, environmental data or parliamentary transcripts behind
      the headlines!

      * Public Domain Works: help to chart which works have fallen out of
      copyright in different jurisdictions around the world. Find out more
      about intellectual property law and help to expose literary works or
      sound recordings which are in the public domain.

      Whether you've got a few spare hours or a few weeks over the summer -
      we'd love to hear from you! For further details contact us at