Organizing ourselves around Twitter

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 12, 2009
      Today I spent a few hours working with Twitter http://www.twitter.com
      Twitter has become very popular as a way of briefly (in 140 characters
      or less) alerting others to what you're up to. That's much how we use
      our chat room and is also a good approach for a lightweight project
      management system.

      "minciusodas" is my account in Twitter
      http://twitter.com/minciusodas
      and I'm using that to follow our participants and I'll also use it (with
      our help) to send summary messages about our activities. Ask me and
      minciusodas will follow you as you tweet! and include you in our stream.

      I've taken the first step which is to show our "tweets" at http://www.ms.lt
      Technically, Twitter makes them available programatically through
      http://twitter.com/statuses/friends_timeline.rss
      and then you have to add your username and password. I do this
      programatically using one of the Twitter API tools
      http://apiwiki.twitter.com/Libraries
      namely Arc90_Service_Twitter. Our server calls it every 5 minutes and
      stores an RSS file. Then the program Carp which we use to cache RSS
      streams reads it and deposits in our MySQL database. Then we can do all
      kinds of things with it! such as show it at our home page.

      Next steps will include
      * sprucing up the output
      * making it easy to add tweets from our various websites, such as our
      chat room
      * showing incoming tweets at our chat room

      The main idea is to learn how to use the tweets as a way to summarize
      what's happening, the activity taking place at our lab, including
      comments that people leave with requests, categorizing them and
      responding to them. The result should be a light weight project
      management system.

      We can make use of our websites short url ms.lt with short links such
      as http://ms.lt/128 that we can generate and include.

      I will redo our main page http://www.ms.lt I'm thinking of showing
      different "speeds" including hour-by-hour, week-by-week and year-by-year.

      I appreciate our thoughts on how we might work well together.

      +370 699 30003
      Dukiskes, Lithuania
    • Edward Cherlin
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 21, 2009
        On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 2:38 PM, Andrius Kulikauskas<ms@...> wrote:
        > Today I spent a few hours working with Twitter http://www.twitter.com
        > Twitter has become very popular as a way of briefly (in 140 characters
        > or less) alerting others to what you're up to.  That's much how we use
        > our chat room and is also a good approach for a lightweight project
        > management system.

        I have been on for a while. I was surprised to find that I have more
        than 90 followers.

        > "minciusodas" is my account in Twitter
        > http://twitter.com/minciusodas

        Yes, I have been following you.

        > and I'm using that to follow our participants and I'll also use it (with
        > our help) to send summary messages about our activities.  Ask me and
        > minciusodas will follow you as you tweet! and include you in our stream.
        >
        > I've taken the first step which is to show our "tweets" at http://www.ms.lt
        > Technically, Twitter makes them available programatically through
        > http://twitter.com/statuses/friends_timeline.rss
        > and then you have to add your username and password.  I do this
        > programatically using one of the Twitter API tools
        > http://apiwiki.twitter.com/Libraries
        > namely Arc90_Service_Twitter.  Our server calls it every 5 minutes and
        > stores an RSS file.  Then the program Carp which we use to cache RSS
        > streams reads it and deposits in our MySQL database.  Then we can do all
        > kinds of things with it! such as show it at our home page.
        >
        > Next steps will include
        > * sprucing up the output
        > * making it easy to add tweets from our various websites, such as our
        > chat room
        > * showing incoming tweets at our chat room
        >
        > The main idea is to learn how to use the tweets as a way to summarize
        > what's happening, the activity taking place at our lab, including
        > comments that people leave with requests, categorizing them and
        > responding to them.  The result should be a light weight project
        > management system.
        >
        > We can make use of our websites short url  ms.lt with short links such
        > as http://ms.lt/128  that we can generate and include.
        >
        > I will redo our main page http://www.ms.lt   I'm thinking of showing
        > different "speeds" including hour-by-hour, week-by-week and year-by-year.
        >
        > I appreciate our thoughts on how we might work well together.
        >
        > Andrius
        >
        > Andrius Kulikauskas
        > Minciu Sodas
        > http://www.ms.lt