Mark Roest encourages social business ventures with Renewables West

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 10, 2009
      Mark, Thank you for inviting us to work with your business
      http://www.renewableswest.com I share with more groups so that we might
      give serious thought. Please keep us posted. Your Solar Rover is
      relevant for Ricardo, Pamela McLean's and Folabi Sunday's discussion of
      how to power an IT centre in rural Nigeria. I have created a wiki page:
      http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?RenewablesWest
      and through that page's metadata I included Renewables West in our Shop
      With Us network http://www.shopwithus.org
      Thank you to Leon Benjamin for his idea and phrase "winning by sharing"
      http://www.winningbysharing.net

      Mark Roest wrote:

      > On Sun, Jun 7, 2009 at 2:40 PM, Mark Roest <marklroest@...
      > <mailto:marklroest@...>> wrote:
      >
      > Dear Janet, Andrius and All,
      >
      > Last Sunday I spent several hours at the Maker Fair (see Make
      > Magazine's website) and afterward discussing his family of
      > inventions for sustainability, and the associated business
      > opportunities. I thought of you all, and this seems like a
      > good point to introduce it.
      >
      > Jon is the head of Kyoto, Free is the Sun,
      > www.kyoto-energy.com <http://www.kyoto-energy.com>. I would
      > like to invite discussion with you all about setting up one or
      > more distributorships (larger scale) and / or dealerships
      > (local level) to retail his product line. The Kyoto Family
      > product group is particularly appropriate for small social
      > ventures created by and around both Independent Thinkers and
      > mutual support groups. This will generate real revenues, and
      > it will also pave the way to creating complex solar businesses
      > -- look at the Butterfly, which generates 800 watts per panel,
      > plus 400 degree Celcius air and 70 degree C water from cooling
      > the panels (it's a concentrating collector, 12 feet long, and
      > tracks the sun on two axes!). That business can create
      > revenues that can be the capital for building the houses he
      > designed, which will sell for $1000 per 100 square foot (9
      > square meters) module, which can be arranged 4 around a
      > central space, which needs floor and roof to make a 5th module
      > -- 500 square feet of high-tech living space, with
      > eco-utilities, for $5000.
      >
      > Please let me know if you would like to participate in
      > planning this social business venture. David Alan Foster,
      > David's employer, and I are also building a solar sales
      > business, Renewables West, which can source and sell globally;
      > see www.renewableswest.com <http://www.renewableswest.com>.
      > That is probably the vehicle we will use to work with Jon.
      >
      > Jon has a franchising system to make learning and managing
      > relatively easy, but the minimum container-load shipments and
      > Jon's habit of making products that start flat for shipping,
      > mean large-budget purchases -- probably on the order of
      > $50,000 to $150,000. That means we need to, and have the
      > opportunity to, aggregate orders from multiple dealers and
      > distributors, as long as we can cover the financing and get
      > the loads broken down and safely shipped to their
      > destinations. Who has more ideas and resources?
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Mark Roest

      On Sun, Jun 7, 2009 at 3:03 PM, Mark Roest <marklroest@...
      <mailto:marklroest@...>> wrote:
      Hello All!

      Sorry, I forgot to mention that Jon also set up a carbon credits
      operation, so the cost of the energy saving and producing hardware can
      be recovered from selling them to people in Germany, and he also has
      financing, although I don't know the details yet. In other words, this
      thing is set up to succeed, and to empower low-income populations to
      succeed too -- in fact, that is his purpose in doing it in the first place!

      So do you want to make a difference with something that will go global,
      while empowering holistichelping and your other groups?

      Please let me know, and give me a sense of the scale you think you can
      operate on, by direct email, as well as posting: MarkLRoest@...
      <mailto:MarkLRoest@...>.

      Regards,

      Mark

      -----------------

      Hello All again:

      By the way, I realized that some will ask what the relationship of my
      communication is to the posting: I responded to the phrase, "winning by
      sharing"!, because that is what I am seeking here, along with the others
      in the network in the San Francisco Bay area.

      Regards,

      Mark
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 17, 2009
        Mark,

        I share your reply with Meredith ( clonearmy@... ).

        I also blogged parts of your letters at
        http://www.includer.org/?p=711
        "The Includer: Episode 46: Never Expect Power At-All".

        Yes, it would be great to have a list of recommendations on the best
        available solutions around the world.

        Mark Roest wrote:
        > Hello Meredith and All,
        >
        > Jon is the inventor of the Kyoto products; if you provide the product
        > questions you have, he may be able to assist you (please copy me, too!
        > I'd like to know both questions and answers). I would like to know who
        > is interested in selling his products, and in going together with
        > others to aggregate full container orders (almost everything he makes
        > ships flat).
        >
        > Jon mentioned that the Butterfly only works well in full direct sun,
        > not on cloudy days. One of the services Renewables West could provide
        > is helping you choose what electricity-making products to buy or build
        > (or sell) in a given climate. Jon also sells hot water systems, which
        > would conserve on electricity (we use natural gas in California, but
        > is appears that much of the world heats water with electricity). A
        > kilowatt saved is a kilowatt earned!
        >
        > I don't know what the production release dates are for those products
        > that are not being manufactured yet. My question is in preparation for
        > doing business plans, and finding a way to move forward. Jon's
        > brochure says he provides financing, as well as the carbon credits
        > that make his product line really affordable.
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Mark Roest
        > MarkLRoest@... <mailto:MarkLRoest@...>

        The Includer is a device for reading and writing emails offline. At some
        point, you’ll want to upload and download them at an Internet access
        point. But what if you don’t have one? Or maybe you have access to the
        Internet through your mobile phone, but you don’t have enough
        electricity to power a laptop or computer?
        Renewables West sells Solar Rover

        Renewables West sells Solar Rover

        This month Pamela McLean (of Episode 31) dedicated her First Thursday
        Chat to helping Folabi Sunday in rural Nigeria (of Episode 40) think
        through how to power a local ICT centre. Her invitation explained:

        You may remember that Fola uses his phone to go online. He has been
        doing some successful experiments linking his phone to a PC. He is
        wondering about the possibility of helping the Information Centre at
        Ago-Are to use this approach in order to bring email facilities to
        Ago-Are. I think various people in Minciu Sodas in East Africa have been
        exploring similar ideas, linking in with Ricardo’s sneakernet ideas. I
        hope Pastor David, manager of the Info-Centre, will also manage to be
        with Fola when he joins us (Fola may be a bit late as he has is teaching
        earlier in the day, but he will make it as soon as he can). Either they
        will have to run a generator (and the Info centre one is very old and
        unreliable now) or they will need to find some other solution.

        A flavor of the chat:

        Ricardo: Pam and Fola, have you both read through the 2nd version of the
        plan? I suggested using a laptop for internet access, as it’s battery
        powered, and not dependent on NEPA. I set out a range of options for
        power. :: Also, a GPRS/3G phone for internet access runs on battery
        power, or you can use a USB 3G Modem, powered from the laptop battery
        when NEPA goes off. … Fola, what do you think the best options are for
        power? In the 2nd version, i mentioned that a laptop battery could be
        charged a little from many different sources, to keep it 100% topped up.
        … Yes sasha, for the Ago-Are ICT centre, they could use an old laptop
        from ebay, plus a new battery. :: Sasha, I emailed a whole plan to fola
        and pam, but you haven’t seen it yet. …. The centre can charge a laptop
        battery a little from NEPA when it’s on, from a 12V DC car cigarette
        lighter, or buy a small solar charger, like solargorilla. … Hi Graham.
        In Nigeria, NEPA, the 240V mains power is terrible. It comes on, then
        straight off for 7 days, on for an hour etc. Solar would be very good,
        if the community can afford the capital cost of the solar charger. ::
        I’ve seen commercial laptop solar chargers like the solargorilla, but
        they are 137 GBP. Is it possible to make a solar charger system for
        laptops (aboout 18V DC at 3.5 AMPs i think). … Fola, the ago-are centre
        will presumably want to keep the cost of equipment down. We could start
        with experiments on internet-access, using your phone for the day and
        one of the existing PCs :: but the PC needs 240V power from somewhere. …
        We need to think about the short-term and long-term power for the
        centre. Although in the short-term, you could use a solar laptop
        charger, that would still leave the rest of the equipment (PCs, TV,
        Satellite receiver etc) without a good power supply. :: Fola, In a
        typical month, is NEPA on for enough hours to charge some car batteries,
        to use for the PCs etc when NEPA is off.

        Folabi Sunday: I think using a laptop will solve NEPA problem for us in
        AA … And replacing the old battery with new ones will be better than
        waitng for nepa … This is a good idea but how do we solve NEPA … I took
        the small gen from my younger sister to use personally … There is an old
        lister gen that is usually developing faults and it use diesel which is
        costly than petrol :: I have done that in my own room and not in the
        centre … And it works perfectly except that my Megabite runs off faster
        than on mobile and I have to print out R tips on how to reduce spent
        date and digest them because they seem thecnical to me …

        Graham Knight: I’m puzzled as no-one seems to ever mention
        solar-charging for mobiles. …
        Kyoto Butterfly Solar Generator yields 800 W, hot air, hot water.

        Kyoto Butterfly Solar Generator yields 800 W, hot air, hot water.

        I did some research into electric generators. I couldn’t find anything
        at Appropedia, surprisingly. (Later, I had the chance to give my
        feedback to Preston at Global Swadeshi). I wonder what Edward Cherlin of
        Earth Treasury would recommend. And then a few days later we got a
        letter from Mark Roest about his new venture:

        Mark Roest: Last Sunday I spent several hours at the Maker Fair (see
        Make Magazine’s website) … Jon is the head of Kyoto, Free is the Sun. I
[...]
        and sell globally. That is probably the vehicle we will use to work with
        Jon.

        Meredith Patterson: Sometime in the next month or two I will be going to
        Ghent to take a workshop from Casa Calida, which teaches people how to
        construct low-cost timber-and-strawbale homes. I suspect they will be
        quite interested in practical solutions for solar electricity and heat,
        and I’m interested in finding out more about the Butterfly for my own
        house project.

        Mark Roest: Jon mentioned that the Butterfly only works well in full
        direct sun, not on cloudy days. One of the services Renewables West
        could provide is helping you choose what electricity-making products to
        buy or build (or sell) in a given climate.

        That sounds like a good service!