Our work this week and beyond for Mornflake

  • ms@ms.lt
    Message 1 of 1 , May 20, 2009
      Leon Benjamin, Stuart Oliver and I spoke on Tuesday about Minciu Sodas's
      work to engage online communities for Mornflake cereal
      http://www.mornflake.com and their online video competition
      http://www.mornflakecompetition.com

      Leon is very happy with our approach in our outreach that we are building
      bridges by engaging people to help each other and promote each other, and
      acknowledging Mornflake's support for this, rather than promoting
      Mornflake directly.

      Sasha Mrkailo and Jeremy Mason are engaging UK online communities; Thomas
      Chepaitis and Masimba Biriwasha are still getting the hang of it; and I'm
      also training Fred Kayiwa, Dennis Kimambo and I want to train Markus Petz,
      Edward Cherlin, Kennedy Owino, William Wambura, Josephat Ndibalema and
      others who might help.

      We should work steadily so that we've completed our deliverables, which is
      to engage 100 online communities. See:
      http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?UKOnlineCommunities
      http://www.worknets.org/software/ukocselect.php

      Leon is interested that we continue further after that until the middle of
      July. He will let me know what budget he might have and we can then plan
      accordingly.

      Joanne Jacobs, thank you for starting us off with very clear and smart
      instructions, for working openly with us, and for helping untangle us from
      the contradictions in our ability to help with the contest's various
      goals. Leon told me that at this point, we're working quite
      independently. So it's important for us to keep good notes at our wiki
      using the metadata such as
      * UKOCMornflakeVideoContest = Posted by JeremyMaso on May 19,
      http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=910651 They replied, we
      should reply further.

      Our team's overall function now is to:
      A) Engage online community members in positive ways that build bridges,
      advance and promote members' endeavors, help us all work together -
      remembering to acknowledge Mornflake cereal http://www.mornflake.com and
      their online video competition http://www.mornflakecompetition.com - with
      the hope that others will want to share this acknowledgement as well.
      This is a long term investment for Mornflake and everybody.
      B) Observe where there are "sparks" of response and encourage that further
      in positive ways. We're investigating how to encourage constructive
      response. That might include an "avalanche" of attention. But more
      helpful would be a "controlled nuclear reaction" or simply a "campfire"
      where, like in any good discussion group, there is a a lot of good
      response for not much effort, and even better, if we could have energy
      dancing across a network of campfires, which is our real goal. That
      dancing energy could then carry messages (like Mornflake's rebranding) and
      others who help fuel our campfires (with money, resources, ideas,
      endeavors, humor, love, etc.)

      My first priority is to train us, and I also look to Sasha Mrkailo and
      others to help train our team.

      I also am building tools that would support our outreach. These include:
      * A "stream" of comments and replies that we could attach to any kind of
      content at our lab (like an archived letter, wiki page, chat archive, web
      page we find, food story) so that we'd pay attention to comments that
      people leave us, but we could also leave comments for ourselves, and take
      action and respond, and then note our response accordingly. This will be
      a very lightweight project management system. I want to do this very much
      and then have it work at our lab's pages and My Food Story's pages as the
      way we organize our work. Likely I'll build this as part of our
      "hyperwiki" technology.
      * I want to aggregate incoming content tagged with "mornflake",
      "myfoodstory", "minciusodas" which may be at blogs, Flickr, YouTube,
      Facebook and other sites. And display that at our sites, and have it
      enter our content stream, too. In particular, we can then encourage
      people in the UK to use the "mornflake" tag as a call for help on any of
      their projects and we'll try to respond.
      * Find a useful way to work with Twitter through our websites. Integrate
      that with our chat room. And figure out how to make good use of the
      Mornflake twitters.
      * Make a diagram of the responsive UK online communities and how we might
      build bridges between them.
      * Other technologies?

      I appreciate our thoughts!

      Leon, thank you for this work!