Masimba Biriwasha, Give A Book and Mornflake

  • ms@ms.lt
    Message 1 of 2 , May 20, 2009
      Masimba Biriwasha is from Zimbabwe and currently in Paris, France for most
      of this year. He's an author of children's books and passionate about
      distributing books throughout Africa.
      http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?GiveABook

      Masimba collected 200 UK online communities for our directory:
      http://www.worknets.org/software/ukocselect.php
      He earned 350 GBP so far thanks to this work which we're doing on behalf
      of Mornflake cereal http://www.mornflake.com and their online video
      competition http://www.mornflakecompetition.com

      Masimba has agreed to engage 20 communities for 100 GBP. It took quite a
      long chat, which I include below, to explain that our approach is for him
      to promote himself and his endeavor "Give A Book" and reach out with that
      to online communities and try to help them, too, rather than to promote
      Mornflake directly. This meant that we had to understand what he wants to
      achieve!

      I welcome Masimba to Janet Feldman's working group Holistic Helping
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/holistichelping/

      ---------------------

      Andrius: Hi Masimba please let me know when you're online! Andrius
      ms@...
      5:36 Masimba: This process will require some time
      5:53 Masimba: i am online
      5:53 Andrius: Hi Masimba how are you?
      5:58 Masimba: i am fine
      6:06 Andrius: can we talk by Skype?
      6:10 Masimba: i still havent registered response
      6:11 Masimba: yes
      6:21 Andrius: first do you have some links?
      6:25 Andrius: examples?
      6:41 Andrius: so I could see how you are doing it
      6:47 Masimba: ok
      6:55 Masimba: et me put into word file
      7:47 Andrius: ok
      8:03 Masimba: how many do you have now
      8:38 Andrius: we're just starting
      8:51 Andrius: how many communities? or how many have we engaged?
      9:00 Masimba: how many have you engaged
      9:03 Andrius: we have listed 526
      9:10 Andrius: we have engaged maybe 10 or 15
      9:16 Andrius: and we got responses at a couple
      9:25 Andrius: and our client is very happy at our approach so that
      is good
      00:44 Andrius: Hi Masimba?
      Chief K.Masimba Biriwasha sent file "Communities Project.doc" to members
      of this chat
      16:12 Masimba: i will have to log in all my data
      16:21 Masimba: bu this is how i have approached the process
      16:23 Masimba: so far
      13 Masimba: i will be very grateful if you can send that 100
      pound to help me defray some costs
      47 Masimba: overall, i think this stage requires a little
      patience
      56 Masimba: and multistaged processes
      16 Masimba: the danger is to be perceive as scams bent on
      marketing a product
      24:29 Andrius: Masimba please can you show me some links, how you
      are doing this, so that we're in touch and I can advise?
      26:12 Andrius: Oh I see you have sent me, thank you!
      37:08 Masimba: ok
      37:44 Andrius: Masimba can you give me some of the urls where you
      are participating? because I see only the website urls, not your
      participation.
      39:13 Masimba: the first step has been getting registered
      40:57 Andrius: yes but you have profiles and first participation,
      yes?
      42:32 Masimba: so far i have one profile, authenticated today by
      BN village
      43:07 Andrius: what is the url?
      43:23 Masimba: let me check
      44:16 Andrius: here' s a good example:
      http://groups.google.com/group/uk.business.agriculture/browse_thread/thread/5558bd2ed9ad25f3?hl=en
      44:26 Andrius: it's upfront and authentic
      47:39 Masimba: ok, i need to change my approach, because I was
      doing it the longer way of commenting on issues before introducing
      myself
      47:56 Masimba:
      http://www.bnvillage.co.uk/poetry-spoken-word/102636-seasons.html
      50:00 Masimba: Greetings,

      I hope that this message finds you in good spirits. My name is Masimba
      Biriwasha, a Zimbabwean, currently based in France, Paris. I am interested
      in becoming part of your community, and contributing my thoughts and
      feelings to the subject at hand.

      I am part of a team leading the Open Source Ecology movement dedicated to
      building the first replicable, modern self-sufficient resilient
      communities. See our blog http://www.OpenFarmTech.org/weblog/ and our wiki
      http://www.OpenFarmTech.org for the open source hardware we're developing,
      including a Compressed Earth Brick Press and a multi-purpose tractor.
      'Open Source' means is that it is free of charge to the public.

      We hope some of you find the project interesting and useful!

      Thanks to Mornflake cereal http://www.mornflake.com and their online
      video contest http://www.mornflakecompetition.com we're able to spend time
      to reach out to UK online communities. The idea is that it makes more
      sense for us to promote each other then for them to promote
      themselves.

      I would like to effectively engage with as many of you as possible.

      Please write back and let me know how we can effectively community in this
      social space.

      Looking forward to hearing from you

      Chief K.Masimba Biriwasha
      Paris, France
      51:30 Andrius: Oh Masimba
      51:55 Andrius: you should write from your own point of view, not
      Factor E Farm.
      52:02 Andrius: That's why I wanted to check - I'm glad I did.
      52:18 Andrius: You should write about your own initiatives.
      52:22 Andrius: can you delete that?
      52:59 Andrius: our whole point is to be genuine
      53:10 Masimba: this is just a test
      53:14 Masimba: i have deleted it
      53:15 Andrius: oh good
      53:18 Andrius: that's fine
      53:34 Andrius: ok so please consider
      53:46 Andrius: your needs, their needs, how they can help, how you
      can help
      54:14 Andrius: What are your needs and interests? (your personal
      ones, unrelated to Mornflake)
      57:34 Andrius: for your initiatives and endeavors
      57:48 Masimba: just hang on. i am doing a draft
      58:42 Masimba: Greetings,

      I hope that this message finds you in good spirits. My name is Masimba
      Biriwasha, a Zimbabwean, currently based in France, Paris. I am interested
      in becoming part of your community, and contributing my thoughts and
      feelings to the subject at hand.

      I am writer, publisher, photographer and journalist currently working on
      my first book titled “The Dream of Stones.” I will be happy to share with
      you the manuscript. You can visit my blog on http://ziviso.wordpress.com

      Besides this I am interested in art in general: from painting to sculpturing.

      Thanks to Mornflake cereal http://www.mornflake.com and their online video
      contest http://www.mornflakecompetition.com I have been able to discover
      a lot about UK online communities including this community.

      I hope that you will have time to write back to me so that we can connect
      at a higher level.

      Please write back and let me know how we can effectively community in this
      social space.

      Looking forward to hearing from you

      Chief K.Masimba Biriwasha
      Paris, France
      58:53 Masimba: can yu please check the message
      59:25 Andrius: the beginning is great
      59:47 Andrius: and then: I have been able to engage UK online
      communities including this community.
      04:21 Masimba: ok
      04:24 Andrius: ...
      04:27 Masimba: i dont understand
      04:33 Andrius: sorry
      04:47 Masimba: i need this to move forward
      04:54 Andrius: yes one moment
      05:01 Andrius: let me read the end
      05:18 Andrius: let's think
      05:27 Andrius: what are your interests here? if any?
      05:41 Masimba: publishing, journaissm, writing, art
      05:54 Andrius: my goal is that we be as authentic as possible and
      that includes being as supportive of you as possible
      06:01 Andrius: what is helpful for you?
      06:13 Masimba: i need to get the letter to be authetic
      06:29 Masimba: otherwise my fear is that i will appear like a scam
      06:40 Andrius: get which letter?
      06:59 Andrius: we're trying to be straightforward and see which
      communities want us to engage them and whcih not
      07:04 Andrius: so it's ok if they don't want to
      07:10 Andrius: so we want to be straightforward
      07:29 Andrius: we want to find the ones that appreciate that
      Minciu Sodas and Mornflake are making it possible for you to engage them
      07:37 Andrius: because you truly are a remarkable person
      07:41 Masimba: who am i making the first point of contact with
      07:44 Andrius: and they may or may not be interested
      07:50 Andrius: let's step back for a moment
      07:59 Masimba: ok
      07:59 Andrius: How can we all help you?
      08:38 Andrius: There are 4 questions: 1) How can we all help you?
      2) How can we all help them? 3) How can you help them? 4) How can they
      help you?
      08:49 Masimba: right now, i need to be more clear about point of
      contact
      08:53 Andrius: no
      09:03 Masimba: ok
      09:05 Andrius: what help do you want personally in your endeavors?
      09:25 Masimba: to be a better writer and publisher, i guess
      09:29 Masimba: to be excellent at what i do
      09:33 Andrius: good and what does that mean?
      09:49 Andrius: what does it mean for you to be an excellent writer
      and publisher? how do you envision that?
      10:38 Masimba: it means, first i have to present myself at a
      high level, work hard toward a vision to produce excellent children's
      books with cooperation from other people
      11:30 Andrius: great. Why are you interested in children's
      books?and is your focus on Zimbabwe or the whole world?
      11:33 Masimba: and to use new technologies to achieve that goals
      in a Godly fashion
      12:33 Masimba: I am interested in children's books because there
      is a great need for that in my continent, but also because I believe I
      can produce children's books for the globe
      12:44 Andrius: ok
      13:16 Andrius: what kind of need is there in Africa? and what
      kind of books do you think that you are able to produce for the whole
      globe?
      15:00 Masimba: Children's books that celebrate the culture,
      history and traditions of Zimbabwe, Africa are scarce, and I think there
      are so many stories to be shared with the world if theye are produce in
      excellent and attractive formats that celebrate the best in humanity
      15:23 Andrius: That's excellent!
      15:33 Andrius: That's what I think your posts should say.
      15:47 Andrius: You are also writing adult books, yes? Why?
      15:49 Masimba: To produce high quality children's books that
      celebrate Africa and the world
      16:48 Masimba: To be honest, I write adult books not with half
      this conviction
      16:59 Andrius: ok so let's focus on the children's books, yes?
      32 Andrius: and also the stories brings to mind My Food Story
      http://www.myfoodstory.info so we might support you with that
      38 Andrius: how many children's books have you written?
      39 Masimba: Children's books require a high level of economy
      and exccellence
      47 Masimba: any stories
      53 Masimba: that are waiting full production
      03 Andrius: Also you're interested in sending books to Zimbabwe,
      yes?
      09 Masimba: yes
      22 Masimba: thats something i want to do for sure
      31 Masimba: to promote literacy
      39 Masimba: i have no doubt
      05 Andrius: so you see how remarkable you are and how you can
      serve us all as a bridge builder
      39 Andrius: and all you have to do for this work is to
      acknowledge Mornflake's support for your work as a bridgebuilder
      48 Andrius: and we're straightforward about this
      56 Andrius: and the communities that embrace you we'll support
      20:04 Andrius: by building bridges and giving help
      20:17 Andrius: and the commuities that don't embrace you we'll
      just note and stay away from
      21:50 Masimba: i understand
      22:03 Andrius: meanwhile I will paypal you now
      22:10 Andrius: Next question
      22:12 Masimba: so who is my point of contact
      22:17 Andrius: How can the UK communities help you?
      22:43 Masimba: through book donations
      23:32 Masimba: or moral suppoprt
      23:37 Masimba: thank you
      24:00 Masimba: i see - this is not a marketing gimmick
      24:13 Andrius: yes
      24:41 Andrius: I helped design this approach and it is supposed to
      serve everybody
      24:49 Andrius: do you have a website for book donations
      24:57 Andrius: and do you have a team for your book projects?
      25:12 Masimba: i have a team in zimbabwe
      25:17 Masimba: but i have no website
      25:22 Masimba: yes
      25:25 Masimba: yet
      25:37 Andrius: so please think, what would be practical for people
      to help you?
      25:49 Andrius: because sending books isn't often very practical
      25:52 Masimba: also, i am interested in going to study
      publishing at Oxford Brookes in the UK
      25:58 Andrius: ok
      26:04 Masimba: so this process is really helpful
      26:15 Andrius: yes
      26:19 Masimba: MA in Digital Publishing
      26:24 Andrius: and the more helpful it is for you
      26:30 Andrius: the more that we all benefit including Mornflake
      26:38 Andrius: you are wearing their jersey, so to speak
      26:45 Andrius: but instead of playing football
      26:54 Andrius: you are playing your endeavors
      27:04 Masimba: http://ah.brookes.ac.uk/publishing/postgraduate/
      27:06 Masimba: ok
      27:09 Masimba: this is the course
      27:58 Andrius:
      http://ah.brookes.ac.uk/publishing/ma_digital_publishing/
      28:22 Masimba: yes
      28:57 Andrius: How do you envisage digital publishing in Zimbabwe?
      29:37 Masimba: well, we are at a crossroads
      29:57 Masimba: we need both traditional and digital publishing
      30:25 Andrius: yes?
      30:45 Andrius: I'm curious, where are the bottlenecks? and for
      example, what are the channels for distribution?
      30:49 Masimba: so i see it as an entry point to traditional
      publishing
      30:56 Masimba: its a cost cutting measure
      31:14 Masimba: the channels are still limited
      31:38 Masimba: and there is need for more advocacy work,
      lobbying for increased access to new technologies
      35:54 Andrius: how would you break it down into steps?
      36:18 Andrius: I imagine that it would be practical to make public
      some local partners in Zimbabwe who we could work with to
      36:29 Andrius: distribute electronic books in the fields that they
      are interested in
      36:42 Andrius: for example, in mathematics, or sustainability, or
      languages, or children
      37:54 Masimba: 1. Acquire digital publishing skills 2.
      Publishing online materials, ebooks etc. 3. Through the Give-Me-A-Book
      Campaign, link with other Foundations to establish rural libraries with
      access to computers 4. Deliver digital products in partnership with
      local organizations
      38:02 Masimba: This is a rough model
      39:21 Andrius: can we start work on that, and especially, number 2
      and 4 ?
      40:06 Masimba: Number 2 is very possible
      40:18 Masimba: and 4 has to be pursued diligently
      40:19 Andrius: also can we start creating pages at our wiki
      http://www.worknets.org ?
      40:27 Masimba: I will be in Zimbabwe in August
      40:34 Andrius: great
      41:03 Andrius: and could we invite Zimbabweans to join Janet
      Feldman's group Holistic Helping ?
      41:14 Andrius: are you signed up for that? I think she's very
      interested to support your efforts
      41:29 Masimba: i am part of ther
      41:35 Masimba: that group
      41:50 Andrius: So you see there is a natural outreach plan
      41:55 Andrius: you write about yourself
      41:58 Andrius: and ask for help:
      42:01 Masimba: ok
      42:06 Masimba: i see what you mean
      42:07 Andrius: for contacts in Zimababwe and for people who would
      like to help
      42:09 Masimba: now
      42:23 Masimba: and part of the bridge is Mornflake
      42:56 Andrius: yes they are paying for your bridge building and
      you are acknowledging them
      43:11 Andrius: and focusing on those who don't mind that
      43:34 Andrius: so this week we want to show how that works
      43:43 Andrius: and perhaps in the future we can get more such work
      from Mornflake or others
      43:51 Andrius: but our clients are extremely happy at this point
      43:58 Masimba: ok
      44:00 Masimba: i see the point now
      44:15 Andrius: you are extremely authentic and so are others at
      our lab
      44:23 Andrius: so yuo solve the authenticity problem
      44:35 Masimba: ok
      44:39 Masimba: i see it clearly now
      44:49 Masimba: i totally had a wrong approach
      46:33 Masimba: thanks, i received th e paypal payment
      47:08 Andrius: also that's why we're making the conscious approach
      47:16 Masimba: ok
      47:19 Andrius: we're making a conscious link with Mornlake - not a
      subliminal link
      47:25 Andrius: Mornflake
      47:30 Masimba: i see it
      48:09 Andrius: So your engagement includes 1) your vision as a
      writer 2) concrete ways to help your projects
      48:23 Andrius: 3) ways that you see concretely that you can help
      their community
      48:32 Andrius: but let's continue with 2
      48:38 Andrius: can we organize around you at our lab?
      48:46 Andrius: we would create wiki pages
      49:02 Andrius: and also I suggest that we organize supportive
      activity through Holistic Helping
      49:08 Masimba: i think you can organize around the shaping of
      the idea
      49:16 Masimba: until it becomes crystal clear
      49:26 Masimba: almost like your though pages
      49:29 Masimba: thought pages
      49:31 Andrius: our point is to organize around individuals because
      that's the best investment and accountability
      49:36 Andrius: but to start
      49:42 Masimba: yes
      49:45 Andrius: I'm sure that Janet would love to host your work
      49:56 Andrius: and then at some point you might start your own
      group based on your own deepest value
      50:19 Andrius: http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?MasimbaBiriwasha
      50:29 Andrius: your deepest value is Integrity? or something else?
      54:05 Masimba: Yes: Integrity, Godlinesss, Sobriety, Creativity,
      Cleanliness
      58:48 Andrius: how do you integrate them all?
      58:58 Andrius: what is your deepest value, if any?
      59:18 Masimba: Integrity
      59:48 Andrius: ok
      00:01 Andrius: now let's write up your book project on a page
      00:07 Andrius: what should the page name be at our wiki?
      00:45 Masimba: Give-Me-A-Book-Campaign
      01:04 Andrius: ok
      02:05 Andrius: What are your websites currently?
      02:09 Andrius: http://ohmyzimbabwe.wordpress.com
      02:10 Andrius: and others?
      02:25 Masimba: ziviso.wordpress.com
      02:38 Masimba: http://ziviso.wordpress.com
      03:38 Andrius: I've updated your page:
      http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?MasimbaBiriwasha a little.
      04:17 Andrius: http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?MasimbaBiriwasha
      04:17 Andrius: can you write something here:
      04:19 Andrius: I mean
      04:28 Andrius: can you write here:
      http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?GiveMeABookCampaign
      04:42 Andrius: and then can you promote that link for your work?
      would that make sense?
      05:52 Masimba: ok
      06:03 Masimba: i need to look up the project proposal
      06:11 Andrius: and then we can write a letter to one of the
      communities
      06:40 Andrius: also did you get funding for your iziviso project?
      06:45 Andrius: is this the same here:
      06:47 Masimba: Mornflake can supportthis social cause
      06:51 Andrius: http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?Zimbabwe
      07:04 Masimba: i didnt - they said Zimbabwe was politically
      unstable
      07:12 Andrius: ok
      07:15 Masimba: How are the elections in your country going
      07:28 Andrius: yesterday we elected our President
      07:33 Andrius: she's quite able
      07:40 Andrius: and she won 68% of the vote
      07:45 Masimba: ok
      07:47 Andrius: she was Europe's Budget Commissioner
      08:00 Andrius: and the other candidates were very unimpressive and
      received 11% or less
      08:17 Andrius: But I'm concerned that in the Soviet days she chose
      to study political economics.
      08:30 Andrius: But she'll probably be fine.
      08:44 Masimba: ok
      09:01 Masimba: if she was the Budget Commissioner, then she has
      a lot of skill, i guess
      09:21 Andrius: yes she does and relevant to the current financial
      crisis I imagine.
      09:34 Masimba: true that
      15:51 Andrius: should the page be called GiveMeABook or GiveABook ?
      18 Masimba: GiveABook sounds better
      20:16 Andrius: ok let me change the page then
      21:04 Andrius: Would you like to use our wiki for this project?
      Or is there a better place?
      21:19 Andrius: or perhaps at iviso ?
      21:46 Masimba: i will use this page
      21:48 Andrius: ok
      21:49 Masimba: wiki page
      21:54 Andrius: ok and so
      22:00 Andrius: if people come to the page
      22:03 Andrius: what should they do?
      22:56 Masimba: i would like to add the detail; express support
      or express how they can help
      23:32 Andrius: yes
      23:38 Andrius: they can add a message below
      23:44 Masimba: kool
      24:31 Masimba: send me the link with the change
      24:53 Andrius: http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?GiveABook
      25:55 Masimba: great, you have already added the message
      26:15 Andrius: how should they contact you? can you leave your email?
      26:40 Masimba: m.biriwasha AT unesco.org
      27:52 Andrius: ok I will save the page
      35:21 Andrius: http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?GiveABook
      35:31 Andrius: now it appears in our endeavors list.
      36:24 Andrius: ok now we can engage a community
      20:02:22 Andrius: Hi I will leave for an hour to ride my bike
      21: 5 Andrius: Masimba, may I share our chat? It's very informative
      about your projects and the nature of our Mornflake work. Please let me
      know.
    • Janet Feldman
      Message 2 of 2 , May 27, 2009
        Dear Masimba, Andrius, and All,

        Hello and terrific news!!! I/we will love to host Masimba's work and
        projects--Mornflake, "Give-A-Book", and "Pads for Peace"--at Holistic
        Helping. I believe he has been an HH member for awhile, and hopefully he
        will join some of the other groups as well.

        Masimba, I will be more active in terms of Pads for Peace, and being of more
        direct help with your book project, in about a month. My apologies for being
        somewhat "absent" here lately: I have been working on a project for Rising
        Voices called "Blogging Positively", something that might interest you, as a
        blogger and also someone concerned about HIV/AIDS. I believe you have
        written a number of excellent pieces abt the pandemic, posted at your own
        blog, and also for HDN.

        Your work will resonate with Leon Benjamin (Mornflake project), who is a
        strong advocate of "winning by sharing" (and has written a book on the
        subject), something you excell at! Leon will be taking over the Voiceful
        forum, as I understand it ("huge welcome", Leon!), so I hope we will all be
        meeting and working there too, as well as Earth Treasury (Ed Cherlin) and
        Learning From Each Other (Pam McLean).

        Ed Cherlin is very interested in ensuring that books are widely available to
        people in developing countries, and we can learn a lot from what he has
        already done and is dreaming about, and emulate accordingly.

        Thanks to Andrius for these excellent opportunities, as well as your
        creativity and caring, another excellent example of winning by sharing
        :)))!!

        Please keep us updated about your various activities and interests, Masimba,
        and we look forward so much to working with you! I note that you are
        returning to ZW in August, so let's lay the groundwork this summer for what
        we might start together--ahead of your return--on these projects of mutual
        interest.

        With all best wishes and blessings, Janet

> [...]
        > or express how they can help
        > 23:32 Andrius: yes
        > 23:38 Andrius: they can add a message below
        > 23:44 Masimba: kool
        > 24:31 Masimba: send me the link with the change
        > 24:53 Andrius: http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?GiveABook
        > 25:55 Masimba: great, you have already added the message
        > 26:15 Andrius: how should they contact you? can you leave your
        > email?
        > 26:40 Masimba: m.biriwasha AT unesco.org
        > 27:52 Andrius: ok I will save the page
        > 35:21 Andrius: http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?GiveABook
        > 35:31 Andrius: now it appears in our endeavors list.
        > 36:24 Andrius: ok now we can engage a community
        > 20:02:22 Andrius: Hi I will leave for an hour to ride my bike
        > 21: 5 Andrius: Masimba, may I share our chat? It's very informative
        > about your projects and the nature of our Mornflake work. Please let me

        17:55:00