Open Source Ecology and Mornflake = "Brush fire"?

  • ms@ms.lt
    Message 1 of 1 , May 16, 2009
      Hi, Next week will be the week that we engage 100 online communities and
      see what happens. Today I taught Jeremy Mason and Ben de Vries of Factor
      E Farm (Open Source Ecology) how I would like them to engage UK online
      communities.

      What we have for our outreach are fascinating people with enormous
      integrity such as:
      * Jeremy, Ben and Marcin at Factor E Farm who are pioneering an
      open-source farm http://openfarmtech.org/weblog/
      * Thomas Chepaitis, the Foreign Minister of the Uzhupis Republic, perhaps
      the "hippest" neighborhood in all of Lithuania
      http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?HumanHuman/UzhupisRepublic
      * Dennis Kimambo, who leads the community activist theatre REPACTED
      http://www.repacted.org they were creative and decisive as peacemakers
      last year in Kenya, and they are Rising Voices citizen media award
      winners.
      * Masimba Biriwasha of Zimbabwe, currently in France, an author and
      blogger and activist, working now for UNESCO.
      Also, Sasha Mrkailo (Serbia), Josephat Ndibalema (Tanzania), William
      Wambura (Tanzania), Fred Kayiwa (Uganda), Samwel Kongere (Kenya), Kennedy
      Owino (Kenya), Edward Cherlin (USA)... we'll all be helping engage online
      communities. Let's be sure to connect on Monday or Tuesday.

      We want to engage people in UK Online Communities so that we catch sparks
      for a brush fire, or roll snowballs for an avalanche. We don't predict if
      and when that will happen. But we are working to connect our networks so
      that good news can spread profoundly.

      I believe the logic for such a network is that we approach others as
      equals. In one sense, we're not equals because we are taking the
      initiative to approach them; but we can suppose that they might likewise
      have approached us. We treat each other as equals by noting:
      * our needs
      * their needs
      * how they might help us
      * how we could help them

      Below is a letter that we wrote together to the UK Business Agriculture
      Google Group (and usenet group):
      http://groups.google.com/group/uk.business.agriculture/browse_thread/thread/5558bd2ed9ad25f3?hl=en
      We're practicing how to write such letters. I'll help each of us start
      out, but certainly we'll develop our own styles, our own voices.

      "Open Source Ecology, with the support of Mornflake"

      Hi, my name is Jeremy Mason and I'm writing from Factor E Farm in
      Missouri, USA. We're leading the Open Source Ecology movement
      dedicated to building the first replicable, modern self-sufficient
      resilient communities. See our blog http://www.OpenFarmTech.org/weblog/
      and our wiki http://www.OpenFarmTech.org for the open source hardware
      we're developing, including a Compressed Earth Brick Press and a multi-
      purpose tractor. 'Open Source' means is that it is free of charge to
      the public.

      We hope some of you find the project interesting and useful!

      Thanks to Mornflake cereal http://www.mornflake.com and their online
      video contest http://www.mornflakecompetition.com we're able to spend
      time to reach out to UK online communities. The idea is that it makes
      more sense for us to promote each other then for them to promote
      themselves.

      We're looking for experts and researchers to help us create open
      source plans for a Babington burner, a pyrolysis oil fast reactor, a
      solar concentrator. We're working towards a Resilient Community
      Construction Kit of 40 technologies. We're also looking for seasonal
      volunteers.

      I see this group has a long history and I am not sure who or how we
      might help. If I knew more about your interests, then I could help
      link you with other communities. Are there any that you might
      recommend? I am reading about Steve Rawlings' tractor troubles. That's
      one of the reasons that Marcin built the LifeTrac tractor.

      Thank you and take care.

      Jeremy