Repacted may receive computers from Aid International

  • ms@ms.lt
    Message 1 of 2 , May 12, 2009
      Dennis Kimambo,

      Thank you for alerting us that your community theatre activist
      organization REPACTED http://www.repacted.org in Kenya has been approved
      for a shipment of computers from Aid International.

      How many computers will you receive? How do you plan to use them? How
      much do you need to pay in all for shipping, inspections, taxes and
      duties? Is it possible for you to sell some of the computers or to keep
      them in different locations (such as Nairobi, Kisumu, Eldoret and Rusinga
      Island)?

      It might be possible for us to pool our resources. What do you think?

      Also, thank you for helping us research and engage UK online communities
      http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?UKOnlineCommunities
      on behalf of Mornflake http://www.mornflake.com and their online video
      competition http://www.mornflakecompetition.com I ask Minciu Sodas
      participants (and others) in Kenya to contact you +254 722 388 275
      regarding training because we need more help for this paid work.

    • Janet Feldman
      Message 2 of 2 , May 12, 2009
        Dear Friend Dennis and All,

        Great to see you posting in these forums!

        On CAI, they are an excellent outfit, and have sent computers all over the
        world, including to Kenya.

        KAIPPG investigated a shipment for itself some years ago, and the cost then
        was about $1500 for 30 computers. However, these were older-model desktops,
        which do run more slowly--not a bad thing in some ways, esp given
        developing-country infrastructure challenges (which makes it harder to
        support faster machines)--but would also have caused some frustration in
        terms of certain features and repair costs.

        Graham has mentioned some other issues (dust, high electricity costs), and
        do add repairs to that list. Perhaps in Nakuru it is not as much of an issue
        as in more rural areas of W Kenya, but worth investigating.

        In the end, it seemed a better thing to "buy locally", and perhaps you
        should investigate what you could get within Kenya itself, both desktops and
        laptops. You might get a discount for buying in quantity, and/or find
        places selling used and refurbished equipment. There are certain places that
        might repair what they sell, too. And (this is important) they might take
        them for recycling, when the machines no longer work! Discarded computer
        equipment is becoming an ecological hazard everywhere these days.

        Do you have the shipping cost from CAI yet, and how many computers would
        this be? By the way, for everyone, here is the url of Computer Aid
        International: http://www.computeraid.org/. They have some good articles on
        their site, including a recent study abt the best low-power PCs.

        Thanks for all feedback, and looking forward to helping get REPACTED more
        computers for its vital work! Blessings always, Janet

        > Thank you for alerting us that your community theatre activist
        > organization REPACTED http://www.repacted.org in Kenya has been approved
        > for a shipment of computers from Aid International.
        >
        > How many computers will you receive? How do you plan to use them? How
        > much do you need to pay in all for shipping, inspections, taxes and
        > duties? Is it possible for you to sell some of the computers or to keep
        > them in different locations (such as Nairobi, Kisumu, Eldoret and Rusinga
        > Island)?
        >
        > It might be possible for us to pool our resources. What do you think?
        >
        > Also, thank you for helping us research and engage UK online communities
        > http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?UKOnlineCommunities
        > on behalf of Mornflake http://www.mornflake.com and their online video
        > competition http://www.mornflakecompetition.com I ask Minciu Sodas
        > participants (and others) in Kenya to contact you +254 722 388 275
        > regarding training because we need more help for this paid work.
        >
        > Andrius
        >
        > Andrius Kulikauskas, Minciu Sodas, http://www.ms.lt, ms@...
        >
        >> Hello all
        >>
        >> Hope that all of you are well and pushing on with projects nicely we have
        >> been carrying out our projects nicely and more and more participartion
        >> from the public, in this endevour we had asked for computers from
        >> computer
        >> Aid International and they ahve aprroved the request though we have to
        >> raise the shipping costs i am fowarding it to this mailing list so that
        >> we
        >> can be assisted and if any one is in UK cn check this ou for us also,
        >> this
        >> will really help REPACTED to reach it mission of continued citizen
        >> mediaship and health messages to more young people. If you find it
        >> good and want to donate we will appreciate,
        >>
        >> Kind Regards
        >> Dennis
        >> DENNIS KIMAMBO
        >> +254-722-388-275
        >> PO BOX 17382 20100
        >> Kipchoge Keino Avenue
        >> Nakuru Players Theatre behind Bontana Hotel
        >> NAKURU KENYA
        >> EAST AFRICA
        >> repacted.org

        06:54:00