How to engage online communities regarding Mornflake?

    Message 1 of 2 , May 6 3:18 AM
      Joanne, Leon and all,

      I'm starting some trials to engage Minciu Sodas participants who lead
      other online communities. I'm figuring out (with our help) what is the
      most natural way to promote those communities and their member's
      endeavors; to promote Mornflake and the online video contest; to promote
      Minciu Sodas interest in building up websites such as
      http://www.myfoodstory.info and http://www.shopwithus.org that encourage
      online communities to help each other; and to promote the interests of
      Minciu Sodas team members who are reaching out on behalf of Mornflake.

      What is most natural that we can do for Mornflake is:
      * Promote the Mornflake name (by using it in the title of forum threads
      we create, so that it appear in the title bar of relevant pages)
      * Promote the Mornflake link http://www.mornflake.com
      * Mention "Mornflake cereal" and their "online video contest".
      * Encourage community leaders to help us engage other communities likewise.

      The end result will be hundreds and perhaps thousands of links to
      Mornflake and their video contest will appear high on search engine
      results and be found by potential participants.

      Joanne, will there be an obvious link to the online video contest from
      their website http://www.mornflake.com ? I think it's much better
      (simpler, natural) for us to point to their website rather than the
      contest website. There are several reasons:
      * We'll be putting up hundreds of links and they will have lasting
      significance if they point to http://www.mornflake.com but will be
      stale for years to come if they point to the contest website.
      * We're more authentic and respectful to those we engage if we put the
      company first above and beyond the contest.
      * It will be shorter and so less awkward.

      The protocol is unfolding like this:

      * I sign up for a community. As part of my profile I write about myself
      and also include a link and explanation about my work to promote
      Mornflake cereal http://www.mornflake.com and their online video contest.
      * I promote a community participant's food related efforts by including
      their story in our website My Food Story http://www.myfoodstory.info
      * I promote a community participant's work related efforts by
      recommending them through our website ShopWithUs http://www.shopwithus.org
      * I publicly engage a leader of the community, explain what I'm doing
      and ask what's the best way I might pursue that through their community.
      * If they are not supportive, then I stop; if they are supportive, then
      I continue.

      Joanne, Leon, is it true that you're looking for supportive online
      communities that you'd like to work with more closely? (And that there
      is a small prize fund or budget for that?)

      I include my activity at Global Swadeshi which Vinay Gupta started.

      I note that I'm just trying this out so please let's wait until we work
      out this protocol before trying it out. I'm starting with our friends
      and then will gradually learn to engage strangers in this way.

      Andrius Kulikauskas, Minciu Sodas, http://www.ms.lt, ms@..., +370 699
      30003

      http://www.globalswadeshi.net/profile/VinayGupta

      Hi Vinay, As you know, my lab Minciu Sodas http://www.ms.lt is working
      to promote an online video contest for Mornflake cereal
      http://www.mornflake.com http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?MornflakeResearch

      As part of that, I'm trying to show the value of creating a "Mornflake
      online community news network" that encourages online community
      participants to promote each other's endeavors.

      In particular, I'm promoting through our website MyFoodStory
      http://www.myfoodstory.info such as promoting Lahrana's post, see:
      http://www.myfoodstory.info/view.php?pagepath=New2144 and through our
      website ShopWithUs (for rotating ads throughout our sites) such as your
      post on flu masks: http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?FluPandemic/Masks
      which appears at http://www.shopwithus.org and is rotated through our
      websites.

      Vinay, what's the best way at Global Swadeshi to engage people and reach
      out to other communities as well? Should I start a forum thread? Thank
      you, Andrius

      Message 2 of 2 , May 11 8:56 AM
        Hi Leon, Joanne,

        Thank you for your encouragement. It's also great to know that Mornflake
        is interested in long term relationships with UK online communities.

        This evening I'm chatting with Sasha Mrkailo, Dennis Kimambo, Thomas
        Chepaitis and all who might help us engage UK online communities. We'll
        practice how to do that. We need more people, and I can pay 5 GBP per
        community for Minciu Sodas participants who can help. This week we need
        to engage 100 communities.

        The competition website looks nice.

        Some next steps that I'm taking:
        * Training our leaders how to engage communities, add stories to My Food
        Story http://www.myfoodstory.info and entries to Shop With Us
        http://www.shopwithus.org
        * Identifiying which communities to focus on and dividing them up.
        * Improving My Food Story so that it is focused more on giving voice to
        individuals and supporting their endeavors.
        * Setting up a page for us to monitor "mornflake" tags at Flickr and
        elsewhere and respond as appropriate.
        * Cleaning up our directory data.
        * Sending Joanne an updated list of the communities we collected.
        * Adding more communities in key areas, especially as Joanne might direct.
        * Making use of data from Alexa to understand the size of communities.
        * Making a map of communities (perhaps focusing on people through their
        food stories) and their relationships as we engage them.

        I want to deliver our deliverables this week (a directory of 500
        communities and results from engaging 100 of them) and I look forward to
        continuing, for free and/or for pay, to build My Food Story
        http://www.myfoodstory.info based on our efforts. Leon, Joanne, I'm very
        glad for your encouragement!

        I'm also thinking about general ideas about how a company and people
        might engage each other for good; and in my mind, I'm writing the "case
        study" as agreed about how I'm organizing our work.

        +370 699 30003