Synergy team for Mornflake research of UK online communities

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 17, 2009
      Edward,

      I am grateful for your help and leadership with our online research. I
      will speak tomorrow evening with Leon Benjamin and I will also write
      more about the data we'll be collecting. We actually do use Worknets in
      some ways successfully as a database and I can adapt it further I think
      for our needs. I will now have time for that, tonight I just opened my
      first art show!
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/50525222@N00/

      I spoke today with Pamela McLean and she is quite busy. I would also
      like to speak by phone with Kevin Parcell (alternatively, Kevin, might
      we chat some time at our chat room http://www.worknets.org/chat/ ? and
      it would be good to have a team chat soon.)

      Edward, my feeling is that you might lead our "synergy team" with the
      goal of making sure that all of our work, our research, our networking
      has long term value for our lab's participants and their endeavors. And
      I'm thinking that I'd like Dennis Kimambo, Sasha Mrkailo, Tomas Cepaitis
      and Samwel Kongere to lead our four teams that will focus on collecting
      the information and engaging the communities. Edward and I would
      support the teams. Each team leader will receive 250 GBP.

      I'd like to have a "synergy team" whose members (I think of Pamela
      McLean, Kevin Parcell, Graham Knight, Vinay Gupta, Marcin Jakubowski,
      Franz Nahrada, Janet Feldman... ) define their endeavors in ways that we
      can support them but also engage other communities to support them.
      Your endeavors are a "currency" that make our outreach efforts
      meaningful and allow us to have a strong enough relationship that can
      carry other "signals" like our Moreflake research and promotion. That
      is my strategy, to show that corporate work + our own endeavors = the
      resources and content for genuine outreach that can serve us, those we
      reach out to, and our clients who give us work. A strong relationship
      means that the online community leaders understand that, for example,
      Mornflake provides resources for us to reach out with but we have our
      own reasons for outreach that legitimize that, so we all benefit. A
      sound relationship can carry multiple signals.

      Kevin, Pamela, Graham, Vinay, and all, please let us know what is the
      "word" (the endeavors, the questions, the values) that we might promote
      on your behalf as we develop relationships on behalf of Mornflake?

      Thank you to Josephat Ndibalema, William Wambura, James Njunge, Rachel
      Wambui Kungu for your interest to work. I am happy to include you,
      typically I am planning 100 USD for part-time work for one month for
      your help. I invite all to speak up and join us! I appreciate your help!

      +370 699 30003
      Vilnius, Lithuania

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 18, 2009
        Vinay Gupta wrote:
        > Can you give me two or three concrete statements on what you might
        > want in terms of support from us?
        >
        > Vinay
        -----------------

        Andrius

        I would feel privileged to be part of that team. I'll think about the
        "word" from me and how I might contribute at this stage.

        Kevin [Parcell]

        ------------------

        Hi Vinay, Kevin and all,

        My wish for our Mornflake research Strategy Team is that they be our
        source of contagious enthusiasm. I want to leverage your natural
        enthusiasm for whatever you are championing (such as Sun Money,
        Hexayurt, DIY Solar, Peace Tiles, Attachab ecovillage, etc.). By
        supporting your endeavors, I think we lay the groundwork for Mornflake
        cereal to benefit from the online networks we resonate with. Minciu
        Sodas's work (for Leon Benjamin of the London advertising agency The
        Law Firm) is simply to create a directory of UK online communities that
        would help identify the best ones for promoting a Mornflake online video
        contest. Leon and I believe that we can get the best response if we
        focus first on what people are truly, personally passionate about.
        Those who would respond to Sun Money, Hexayurt, Attachab ecovillage and
        other endeavors are those who who might be supportive of Leon Benjamin,
        The Law Firm, and Mornflake as well, as supporters of our outreach
        work. They aren't asking for much, just to encourage the creation of
        videos which mention Mornflake in whatever context and see which, if
        any, might spread virally, and all are welcome to benefit from the
        videos as well.

        Concretely, I ask Strategy Team members to:
        * Write, What are you passionate about? (Such as: Hexayurt or Open
        Source Textbooks or Edmonton Reconciliation Centre)
        * And why? (What are your values behind your passion? What is your
        belief or reasoning? What do you stand for?)
        * What challenges, if any, are you facing?
        * How can people around the world support you?
        * What online venues are best for working with you?
        * In particular, in what ways might UK online community members help you
        or others like you?
        * What links would you like with UK online communities?
        I ask that:
        * You encourage us to post your answers and you do so likewise at your
        sites.
        * You respond kindly to those we link with you and include them in your
        work where you can.
        * You make an effort to be sympathetic to and supportive of all of the
        endeavors the Strategy Team represents.
        * You accept and acknowledge the help that we might offer for your
        endeavors (such as online assistants from Africa or Easter Europe) and
        help us devise useful ($100) projects that they might do for you.
        * You consider and suggest how videos of your work might help advance
        your own work.
        * You share with us and all, in the Public Domain, such videos and video
        material.
        * You encourage us to produce and promote videos related to your endeavors.
        * You encourage us to promote these videos as part of our outreach to UK
        online communities.
        * Throughout your online work this next month, you let people know that
        you're participating in and supporting this Mornflake outreach effort,
        that you are benefiting and that others can, too.
        * This next month, you mention Mornflake in as much of your online work
        as you can.

        We'll keep writing, but I hope you see that we (and Mornflake) can all
        benefit by promoting and supporting you, your values and your
        endeavors. I'm asking you to be "true fans" of yourself, and by
        extension, of others like you, and of your supporters, including Minciu
        Sodas and Mornflake cereal http://www.mornflake.com

        Does that help?

        +370 699 30003
        Vilnius, Lithuania
      • Janet Feldman
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 18, 2009
          Dear Andrius, Leon, Kevin, and All,

          When you first posted about this opportunity, Andrius, I thought we were
          going to do research about online communities (and perhaps physical ones
          too) to whom Mornflake could pitch its products, much as we did for the
          Chocolate project. In fact, the subject line indicates just that.

          What you have described below sounds much more like we are pitching the
          product itself, and that makes me extremely concerned. I think one of our
          strengths is research, but "commercialization" of same is another matter
          entirely.

          "We" are such a diverse group of people and organizations, though many of us
          do care about similar things: helping one another, health of the
          environment, sustainable development, peace, personal and interpersonal
          growth, poverty amelioration/eradication, human rights.

          I'm sure many of us support the organic movement, and "go organic" ourselves
          in our personal shopping. I'm therefore enthusiastic about us doing research
          for a company that has had an organic focus for over 400 years!

          However, making videos ourselves to promote this product--and mentioning
          Mornflake in much of our social-networking work during this next month--is a
          very different matter. How many of us have even eaten Mornflakes? If Nafsi
          helps to promote Mornflakes, will Mornflakes (the company) donate some of
          the cereal so they can taste it, before they promote it? Will they donate an
          ongoing supply to Nafsi, or to markets in Kenya?

          These are serious questions, as are Kevin's concerns, and I think we are
          making a huge leap into something that honestly requires much more
          discussion. Again, "research" about possible markets for Mornflake is one
          thing: we have done this before with the Chocolate project and the
          MyFoodStory project. But actual promotion of a product is an entirely
          different matter.

          I do not mean to throw a damper on anyone's enthusiasm, and I'm delighted
          that we are working with Leon! Also, funds are badly needed by many of us,
          and that is another important aspect to consider. However, there are other
          values to weigh in the mix of all this, and other considerations.

          This is something that we may need to address in the Worknets context,
          because there are links here to "cultures" and "sub-cultures". There are
          times when there will be synergies between Minciu Sodas as a for-profit
          business, for example, and the nonprofit work that many of us do. However,
          there are times when those may come into conflict in some way. This may be
          one of those times. What do "we" as a collective do then?

          If I have misunderstood where you (Andrius, Andrius and Leon) are coming
          from or what you are asking of us here, my apologies. But if I have
          understood correctly--that some of us are being asked not just to do
          research but to promote a product--then I believe that requires more
          consideration and discussion.

          With all best wishes and blessings, Janet

> [...]
          > material.
          > * You encourage us to produce and promote videos related to your
          > endeavors.
          > * You encourage us to promote these videos as part of our outreach to UK
          > online communities.
          > * Throughout your online work this next month, you let people know that
          > you're participating in and supporting this Mornflake outreach effort,
          > that you are benefiting and that others can, too.
          > * This next month, you mention Mornflake in as much of your online work
          > as you can.
          >
          > We'll keep writing, but I hope you see that we (and Mornflake) can all
          > benefit by promoting and supporting you, your values and your
          > endeavors. I'm asking you to be "true fans" of yourself, and by
          > extension, of others like you, and of your supporters, including Minciu

          16:38:00
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 18, 2009
            So, right now, you're building up an index of people who are publicly
            committed to *things* - causes of whatever kind. Could you explain the
            "leveraging credibility" bit a little more? Vinay

            -------------------------

            Vinay, Janet,

            Thank you for your letters, which I share above and below.

            It is complicated... I am trying to create a "parallel universe" of
            souls (with self-directed motiavtions) in a soulless world (where it's
            all about money). I will try to explain this work as a story with
            characters.

            Mornflake is a breakfast cereal company that traces its roots to miller
            William Lea in 1675 in Cheshire and is owned by his descendents.
            http://www.mornflake.com/about/history.html
            The company mills lots of oats for generic brands, but it's not well
            known. The leadership (perhaps John Lea) decided to make their brand
            known through the UK.

            "The Mornflake brand of premium value for money oat-based cereals is
            relaunched [January 2009] with a series of innovative new products, and
            a new logo and packaging identity across the entire range.... have
            initially committed a seven-figure investment to the range and brand
            development and a major communications campaign comprising press ads, on
            pack promotions and a consumer PR programme. ... "At Mornflake we have
            chosen for many generations to concentrate on milling the finest
            product, rather than just marketing snappy consumer propositions. I
            suppose this means that we have to a certain extent ‘hidden our light
            under a bushel'. But we've come to the conclusion that in 2009 we should
            express what we do a little more dynamically. British consumers are
            focussing on value and honest, healthy food options and we think that
            people will want to hear more about what we do."
            http://www.talkingretail.com/products/product-news/11912-mornflake-oat-based-cereals-relaunched.html

            Mornflake hired The Law Firm, an advertising agency in London owned by
            Andy Law. Leon Benjamin works there as Head of Digital Strategy. They
            developed a strategy to hold an online contest to encourage the creation
            of online videos promoting Mornflake. The winner would be the video that
            received the most hits at Facebook. The hope is among the thousands of
            videos created there would be one or more that would be "viral" in its
            popularity, reaching perhaps millions of people. It's not to sell
            product, but simply to make Mornflake known.

            Leon Benjamin is the author of "Winning by Sharing" and a fan of Minciu
            Sodas. In London, he met twice with us and mentioned to me that he might
            have a research project for me. We spoke on Monday. He wanted me to
            create a directory of UK online communities with information that would
            let them know which ones might be the best venues for finding
            participants for the video contest. In principle, I could do this myself.

            Given that Leon understands and appreciates Minciu Sodas, we quickly
            thought through many possibilities.
            * The research could be done by Minciu Sodas, not just me.
            * Our directory can be in the Public Domain.
            * We can understand which communities are receptive by having our team
            members sign up and ask their leaders.
            * People would be much more interested in making videos about their own
            concerns; and such videos have a greater chance of going viral; and for
            the purpose of making Mornflake's name known, so long as the Mornflake
            name appears, they may be as good or better than promotional videos.
            * In order to have viral videos, it would be good to motivate
            communities, not just selfish individuals; communities often have a
            harder time getting resources than individuals; many creative people
            might be more driven if part of the winnings went to their community.

            So there are three levels to this work:
            * "What we are paid for": to create a directory with 500 online
            communities and engage 100 of them to gauge their potential interest.
            * "What benefits The Law Firm": they want to encourage the creation of
            videos that go viral; so it helps if we can sort out communities that
            might truly be interested; and if we provide good will which they might
            leverage to encourage the communities and their participants to
            contribute their creativity to this contest.
            * "What benefits us": we want to gain not just money but make this
            directory available in the Public Domain to ourselves and others; to
            build relationships with others who might care about us; to focus our
            work especially on those UK online communities that are relevant to our
            endeavors; to develop a win-win-win service where Mornflake, The Law
            Firm, Leon Benjamin, the UK online communities, Minciu Sodas and our
            participants all benefit in this example and to get more such work.

            Leon is supportive, I am motivated and all of this is possible.

            I'm in a situation where the nature of Mornflake is not important to me.
            I need work and I would help just about any company. I don't intend to
            judge them. Instead, the more that I can work as I prefer, the more I
            will apply my creativity to help them.

            Monday I will myself start collecting some data about UK online
            communities, as an example of what we want. Samwel Kongere, Dennis
            Kimambo, Sasha Mrkailo and Tomas Cepaitis will be our team leaders and
            each will be responsible to find at least 125 online communities and
            engage 25 of them. We'll use our Worknets wiki and this coming week I
            will improve it for easy form editing.

            What can we do with this opportunity that is above and beyond just money
            and "deliverables"? That is what I want to know from all of us. That's
            what give this work meaning to me.

            For example, Samwel Kongere (along with Tom Ochuka and Kenneth Chelimo)
            is organizing a conference in Kisumu, Kenya on local sustainability in
            agriculture and tourism. I want us to support their efforts, especially
            by helping them develop and pursue their ideas. As we do our Mornflake
            research, we can look for communities interested in such questions, and
            we can raise these questions as we engage them. This can actually build
            meaningful relationships between us and others. And in that context it
            becomes natural to ask for help to benefit Mornflake who makes this
            outreach possible, but especially because the videos we and others
            create might primarily promote our own interests. It may be enough just
            to mention Mornflake. And our good projects reflect well on Mornflake
            and help make them known.

            The more such endeavors we can support, the more types of online
            communities we can reach out to, the more ways we can engage and
            encourage people. We're creating a self-standing hub of real interest
            and concrete examples that can ripple out to encourage a much wider
            circle of people to participate in the video contest.

            Edward Cherlin will lead our Synergy team that will keep strategizing
            and suggesting where we should put our resources so that we all benefit
            - our participants, the UK online communities and Mornflake.

            What I'm asking for, as I stated in my questions, is sincere leadership
            about our personal priorities that we might organize around. Your
            priorities (Sun Money, Hexayurt, Global Villages, Open Source Textbooks,
            Internet access) can drive our strategy. We can support any endeavors,
            we just need to know which ones. Your genuine interest and your
            inclusion of others is the social credibility that we have when we do
            outreach to other communities. This is what I'm asking our Synergy team,
            is to be credible in your passion and encourage us to leverage that
            credibility as we engage others. You make our network credible and,
            ultimately, that credibility is what I'm offering.

            Knowing your priorities, we also have credibility by helping you in
            small and large ways, but I think it makes sense for us to make some
            sample videos just to show that we understand what that means and we can
            share examples of the possibilities and we can invite and engage others.

            I want to involve as many of us as possible in earning money (which is
            good practice in working together) but also helping each other in other
            ways, for example, providing support for projects including online
            assistants, or steering our resources as makes sense.

            The end result is a "parallel world" where we engage each other not
            simply through money, but as independent thinkers, whether within our
            network, or other online communities, or The Law Firm or Mornflake. If
            we can work this way, then I think we will impact Mornflake and all we
            touch.

            Does this help?

            +370 699 30003
            Vilnius, Lithuania

          • Edward Cherlin
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 19, 2009
              On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 2:22 PM, Andrius Kulikauskas <ms@...> wrote:
              > Edward,
              >
              > I am grateful for your help and leadership with our online research.

              A pleasure.

              > will speak tomorrow evening with Leon Benjamin and I will also write
              > more about the data we'll be collecting.  We actually do use Worknets in
              > some ways successfully as a database and I can adapt it further I think
              > for our needs.  I will now have time for that, tonight I just opened my
              > first art show!
              > http://www.flickr.com/photos/50525222@N00/
              >
              > Edward, my feeling is that you might lead our "synergy team" with the
              > goal of making sure that all of our work, our research, our networking
              > has long term value for our lab's participants and their endeavors.

              I accept.

              And Children are my nation.
            • Edward Cherlin
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 19, 2009
                On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 6:31 AM, Andrius Kulikauskas <ms@...> wrote:

                > Concretely, I ask Strategy Team members to:
                > * Write, What are you passionate about? (Such as: Hexayurt or Open
                > Source Textbooks or Edmonton Reconciliation Centre)

                I have the Free Digital Textbooks. We need writers for every school
                subject, and some that are not. Also editors, artists,
                programmers...See

                http://www.earthtreasury.org/worknet for the outline of the global plan, and
                http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Creating_textbooks for the education component.

                I will be happy to answer questions.

                > * And why? (What are your values behind your passion? What is your
                > belief or reasoning? What do you stand for?)

                Core value: truth. Vision: the end of poverty and oppression, and
                perhaps war. Mission: Whatever is required to get every child an
                education using a computer, appropriate software, and an Internet
                link. No voice should go unheard.

                > * What challenges, if any, are you facing?

                Apart from technical issues around renewable power, broadband
                Internet, learning materials, and microfinance, we need enough funding
                to reach self-sustaining growth; people to take charge of the
                essential issues, including recruiting NGO and business partners and
                dealing with governments and aid agencies; and a whole lot more in
                that vein.

                > * How can people around the world support you?

                The information is available from my Wiki page at Sugarlabs, and will
                soon be available on the Earth Treasury Web site. Join the Earth
                Treasury mailing list, and tell us what you would like to do and what
                you are good at. Whatever that is, we need it.

                > * What online venues are best for working with you?

                Wikis, mailing lists, Wiser Earth, LinkedIn...It will all be on the Web site.

                > * In particular, in what ways might UK online community members help you
                > or others like you?

                Think Commonwealth, as in Commonwealth of Learning (col.org), and
                appropriate technology, as in the Schumacher Institute (I was living
                in Northumberland when Small is Beautiful came out) and talk to us
                about your networks. If you are an immigrant, talk to us about
                wherever you came from.

                > * What links would you like with UK online communities?

                All of the above.

                > I ask that:
                > * You encourage us to post your answers and you do so likewise at your
                > sites.
                > * You respond kindly to those we link with you and include them in your
                > work where you can.
                > * You make an effort to be sympathetic to and supportive of all of the
                > endeavors the Strategy Team represents.
                > * You accept and acknowledge the help that we might offer for your
                > endeavors (such as online assistants from Africa or Eastern Europe) and
                > help us devise useful ($100) projects that they might do for you.

                I have endless research projects that simply require the ability to
                use a browser and a search engine, and to past data into the
                appropriate page. For example, we need links to every Ministry of
                Education in the world, the 50 state Departments of Education in the
                US, and every curriculum standard from a government or a subject
                matter expert organization such as National Council of Teachers of
                Mathematics. We also need links to every independent education
                movement: Montessori, Sudbury, etc. Even the Creationist
                home-schoolers.

                > * You consider and suggest how videos of your work might help advance
                > your own work.

                There is one linked from my Sugarlabs Wiki page. Christian Einfeldt is
                doing a large video project, the Digial Tipping Point, on the progress
                of Free Software and other community approaches to so-called
                Intellectual Property.

                > * You share with us and all, in the Public Domain, such videos and video
                > material.

                Has The Law Firm agreed to this in the case of videos any of us might
                make for them?

                There is no such legal operation in US law as placing works in the
                Public Domain, which consists only of works created without copyright
                (something that only governments can do) or whose copyright has
                expired.

                Expanding the Public Domain: Part Zero
                Diane Peters, March 11th, 2009

                Creative Commons has spent a lot of time over the past year or so
                strategizing, and worrying, about the current state of the public
                domain and its future...Unfortunately, the law makes it virtually
                impossible to waive the copyright automatically bestowed on
                creators...CC0 (read “CC Zero”) is a universal waiver that may be used
                by anyone wishing to permanently surrender the copyright and database
                rights they may have in a work, thereby placing it as nearly as
                possible into the public domain.

                http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode

                To the greatest extent permitted by, but not in contravention of,
                applicable law, Affirmer hereby overtly, fully, permanently,
                irrevocably and unconditionally waives, abandons, and surrenders all
                of Affirmer's Copyright and Related Rights and associated claims and
                causes of action, whether now known or unknown (including existing as
                well as future claims and causes of action), in the Work (i) in all
                territories worldwide, (ii) for the maximum duration provided by
                applicable law or treaty (including future time extensions), (iii) in
                any current or future medium and for any number of copies, and (iv)
                for any purpose whatsoever, including without limitation commercial,
                advertising or promotional purposes (the "Waiver"). Affirmer makes the
                Waiver for the benefit of each member of the public at large and to
                the detriment of Affirmer's heirs and successors, fully intending that
                such Waiver shall not be subject to revocation, rescission,
                cancellation, termination, or any other legal or equitable action to
                disrupt the quiet enjoyment of the Work by the public as contemplated
                by Affirmer's express Statement of Purpose.

                We can discuss GPL, Creative Commons Sharealike, and Creative Commons
                CC0 (as few rights reserved as legally possible).

                http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode

                Andrius has explained to me that he wants to make the claim of
                releasing documents into the public domain as a moral statement,
                regardless of current law. I am willing to have some materials treated
                in this way, but I insist that my own independent work has a legally
                effective license. I work with organizations that require specific
                licenses for materials they accept. Licensing policy is a factor in
                whom I choose to work with.

                > * You encourage us to produce and promote videos related to your endeavors.
                > * You encourage us to promote these videos as part of our outreach to UK
                > online communities.
                > * Throughout your online work this next month, you let people know that
                > you're participating in and supporting this Mornflake outreach effort,
                > that you are benefiting and that others can, too.
                > * This next month, you mention Mornflake in as much of your online work
                > as you can.
                >
                > We'll keep writing, but I hope you see that we (and Mornflake) can all
                > benefit by promoting and supporting you, your values and your
                > endeavors.  I'm asking you to be "true fans" of yourself, and by
                > extension, of others like you, and of your supporters, including Minciu
                > Sodas and Mornflake cereal http://www.mornflake.com
                >
                > Does that help?
                >
                > Andrius
                >
                > Andrius Kulikauskas
                > Minciu Sodas
                > http://www.ms.lt
                > ms@...
                > +370 699 30003
                > Vilnius, Lithuania

                > Please note our rule: Each letter sent here enters the Public Domain unless it explicitly notes otherwise. In case your legal system does not recognize this claim, you may use these letters under CC0 — "No Rights Reserved". http://creativecommons.org/about/cc0
                >
                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                And Children are my nation.