Directory of UK online communities for Mornflake

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 15, 2009
      I'm happy to report that Leon Benjamin has approved my proposal. My lab
      Minciu Sodas is starting work immediately to create a directory, in the
      Public Domain, of online communities whose participants are primarily or
      frequently from the United Kingdom. The Law Firm will use this
      directory to understand what communities might encourage participation
      in a Mornflake cereal video contest http://www.mornflake.com

      We're starting to work on this at our wiki:
      http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?UKOnlineCommunities
      I invite us to start adding to that page!

      We need to find existing directories. Edward Cherlin points us to Wiser
      Earth (thanks!):
      http://www.wiserearth.org/all/search?q=UK&commit=
      We might help such directories get more entries.

      We can also make a list of impressive UK social networkers as they are
      the hubs that link and form networks.

      We will be earning 5,000 GBP for one month's work of which I will keep
      half (2,500 GBP) and distribute half for our team (2,500 GBP). I am
      looking for 5 team leaders who will receive money in advance (typically
      250 GBP) and will need to take responsibility for some of the work and
      lead and motivate others. Please speak up if you are interested and let
      me also know what kinds of online communities you'd like to reach out
      to. That leaves about 1,250 GBP which I imagine is best distributed to
      those who help us meet our targets which is 500 entries in our directory
      (we can give 1 GBP for each) and 100 communities that we sign up for and
      engage (we can give 5 GBP for each).

      Online communities that we can engage include all kinds, for example:
      TimeBanks
      Parent Teacher Associations
      Food groups
      Ecovillage groups
      Videomakers and artists
      Activists
      Business networking
      Sports Organizations and Fans
      Music Fans
      Wikis
      Churches

      We need to decide on a discussion group where we should focus our work.
      It could be Samwel's Mendenyo, Dennis's Community Work, Rachel's
      Voiceful, Pamela's Learning From Each Other, Steve's Social Agriculture
      or others. Please suggest.

      Samwel Kongere has agreed to participate actively.

      Dennis Kimambo wants to work full-time.

      Pamela McLean and Tomas Cepaitis are also interested.

      Andrius, have a nice group of english mastiffes
      http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/EnglishMastiff/ Thomas

      PeterOngele: Hi Andrius, I'll participate on this study, hope you would
      help me on how to go about it particularly in the face book and Tags.
      I've a number of friends all over the world, I hope it would be great
      study for I also want to learn through this.

      KevinParcell, April 14, 2009, LivingByTruth working group. Andrius, I'm
      interested in this project. My SunMoney proposal to Google is founded on
      the proposition that real communities would be willing to submit videos,
      effectively becoming online communities, thus I have a compelling
      interest that's closely related to Leon's question and so would benefit
      from understanding Mornflake's specific effort to identify likely
      participants. I'm a skilled project director, with a BFA in directing
      performance. Otherwise my http://sunmoney.org site is my resume, which
      includes the "Songs In the Night" video. That video is the surviving
      piece of the Un-scared Project to support the Kucinich candidacy, for
      which I recruited the help of more than 1000 people through the Kucinich
      site. That site was structured like the MySpace site, and the video
      project was begun about five weeks after I joined the site, after
      creating a network of friends, and completed about five weeks later. By
      the way, Google says it received more than 150,000 responses to its
      request for ideas that help people and so doesn't know when it will
      complete the list of 100 finalists. I guess ten million dollars is still
      real money. Likewise, Mornflake's competition should successfully
      identify the groups most affected by viral advertising of this sort if
      it offers real money supplemented with the promise of exposure. By
      working through existing online communities, they borrow networking
      architecture familiar to interested individuals and so facilitate easy
      organization of projects. Good, short vids created within these
      communities will also circulate widely within these same groups. If it
      were my competition, I might create categories, such as humor, family,
      etc, to multiply the opportunities to win and perhaps multiply the
      appeal and exposure. Regards,

      Please write at our groups and at the wiki!

      +370 699 30003
      Vilnius, Lithuania
    • Thomas Chepaitis
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 15, 2009