Re: [learningfromeachother] Re: Solar for energy in Suba District_Western Kenya.

  • Edward Cherlin
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 23, 2009
      I'm interested in this to go with a microfinance initiative for
      renewable power and Internet to support computer education projects. I
      have several questions.

      o Under what conditions does this system work?

      o What does it cost to install per kilowatt?

      o Can you train users to maintain the system?

      o How wide an area can a group of installers cover? What is your present range?

      o What installations have you done?

      One Laptop Per Child XOs draw about 5W on average, and I plan to allow
      10 hours of use a day--school, homework, fun, use by othe family
      members. We clearly need more than 5W capacity per computer, depending
      on weather and other factors, and we need some storage, also. Let us
      say 1kW for 100 XOs, and enough storage for three days--thus 3kWh
      storage. What kinds of battery are available locally?

      The intention is to find economic opportunities for families and
      friends of children with XOs, to loan them startup funds, and to fund
      the electricity and Internet out of fees to the businesses so that we
      can provide them to the schools for free. Suppose we charge 25% annual
      interest (12.5% declining balance, a little more than Grameen). Does
      that cover operating expense and these infrastructure investments? How
      many businesses of what scale would we have to discover and fund?

      Earth Treasury is in discussions with several schools, an orphanage,
      and some agricultural communities in Africa, and we would find many
      more if we can create a solid business plan.

      And Children are my nation.
      http://earthtreasury.net/ (Edward Mokurai Cherlin)