Re: [holistichelping] Two handed strategy for peace efforts

  • Janet Feldman
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 8, 2009
      Dear All,

      I have not seen a letter from Sam on this subject...did I miss it? Please
      repost, Sam or someone, so I can read it.

      Andrius and everyone, I appreciate what you have written, and can see the
      value of it. But I am also not of a mind to want to split things up into
      different categories. I also do not want to work only with certain people
      and not with others, so that is a question: can Dennis, for example--with
      whom I have had a lengthy prior friendship and working relationship, and
      with whom I would like to work here--engage with both "hands".

      I would like to see him posting publicly about his own views and interests
      and desires as to approaches on this subject. As I said to you both times
      you have visited, and at other times when we have spoken about this, one of
      things about last year that was the most frustrating and difficult for me is
      that I did not get to work with people who--in one way or the other--I
      brought into our circles myself, in the way that I find most satisfying and
      compelling. That includes Dennis and also Rachel.

      The whole premise of "holistic" thinking and helping is that there is a
      linkage between what might be called "opposites": hence talk and action,
      thought and feeling, structure and process are all connected in some way,
      like Yin and Yang, different yet inseparable.

      The two-handed strategy does illustrate that it is possible and even
      desirable to have two (or more) approaches going at the same time. However,
      there is also an intrinsic connectedness between the two that goes beyond
      the complementary. I do not know how that will be fostered adequately in the
      approach you outline, Andrius.

      I myself am not just about talking and "order", I am about chaos and action.
      I do not want to preside over only one hand, the one where talking and order
      and the long-term are predominant. I want to be involved with the action, I
      want to embrace the chaos, I want to be involved with "engaging the
      enemy"--as you put it--which sometimes actually turns out to be ourselves,
      or even our closest friends. This is what my deepest value is, this is what
      I have been trained for academically, this is what my life is about, and why
      I have focused here so much on the "holistic".

      I want the same for every one of us. It is one of the biggest challenges for
      all of us, as individuals and groups, to be about both. That is where
      inclusiveness and integration come in, that is where we find growth and
      engage the whole of what is means to be human.

      You have written this, Andrius: "I plan to write a proposal to the leader
      of a Palestinian mobile phone company to fund work to organize and coach
      Palestinians, Israelis and others to practice working together online to
      support peace efforts around the world, such as in Zimbabwe".

      I spent a great deal of time in graduate school not only studying conflict
      and its resolution, but this particular conflict, and ways in which it might
      be addressed. I also spent time with Israelis and Palestinians, working to
      address peace-related issues, and have a longstanding personal connection to
      Israel, where I have friends and also a part of my identity.

      I would love to work on a proposal with you, I would love to extend the
      online work we did with the Pyramid of Peace into work with Israelis and
      Palestinians, into work in Zimbabwe. And to work with our members and
      friends on that. Not in different circles and spheres, but together. There
      is no reason why the "volunteer fire department" cannot work in tandem with
      the "talking circles", in one and the same project or activity.

      I feel very frustrated right now, because I feel like I am being boxed into
      one approach, one activity. I want to promote peace centers, yes--so I would
      love to work with Pam-- but my life and work have been about being a bridge,
      so I want to do that with Rachel. I want to be part of the frontline
      endeavors, the "fire department", and work with you, Andrius, and Dennis.

      You have also said this today: "My solution is that when people like us,
      who have such meek resources, apply our moral sense to respond to an
      emergency, and when "persons" like global corporations, who have such vast
      resources, neglect to act because they have no moral sense, then ultimately
      those corporations should be willing to pay what it would have cost them if
      they would have done what they should have. I find it is helpful to offer
      this solution because it appreciates the moral strength and material
      weakness of those who responded, and also offers to include those of
      material strength and moral weakness who might yet act and thereby grow."

      I absolutely and totally disagree with you: this paints such a
      cut-and-dried picture of right and wrong, what--and who--is morally strong
      or weak. You must remember that corps are made up of people: as entities,
      sometimes it does seem like they have no soul, but on the other hand, human
      beings who create and run and work for these companies do.

      Sometimes it is helpful to remind them of that moral center, and I think it
      is alright to appeal to that moral center (ie it is the "right" thing from a
      human standpoint to support efforts to help IDPs who are struggling and in
      need), but to portray us as morally strong and them as morally weak is too
      holier-than-thou, it is too "either/or". The world is more complex than
      that, and our own efforts--let alone each of us as individual beings--are
      more complex than that.

      I have strong questions about the ethics of this approach, just as I have
      strong questions about the ethics of what happened last year, when you
      appointed yourself a "commander". Peace is not just an end, it is also a
      means, it is a process and intrinsic to every step we take and move we make.

      Andrius and all, your letter is helpful in some respects and I do see some
      merits in the two-handed strategy you are proposing. Yet it is also very
      disheartening to me, I have to confess.

      What I would propose would be quite different: it would involve talking and
      action both, approaching funding sources in a way that enlists them as part
      of the solution, not part of the problem. I would also like to see an
      "organic" process develop, whereby all of us together talk about action, and
      then act, where whatever structures and strategies we employ evolve from our
      talking and working together.

      Yesterday I felt excited and hopeful. Today I have very mixed feelings. So I
      am not sure what else to say or how to evolve this conversation. I will
      leave it for now and return when I have had more time to reflect.

      Thanks and greatest blessings to all, Janet