Two handed strategy for peace efforts

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 8, 2009
      Thank you for intense and helpful discussion about what the Pyramid of
      Peace http://www.pyramidofpeace.net meant for us and what we might like
      to do in the future. Thank you especially to Peter Ongele and Samwel
      Kongere for your thoughtful letters.

      I appreciate that we're inclined towards different approaches, but we've
      all worked together most impressively. So I'm sharing my thoughts how I
      want to proceed and how we might make the most of different approaches.

      In Chicago, my grandmother and I lived in a neighborhood into which
      gangs were establishing themselves. I organized a block club. The
      neighbors were all afraid of one house that was a "crack house" with
      dozens of youths who allegedly sold and used crack cocaine. I said that
      we should have our next block club meeting there. I ended up going
      there with one of my neighbors, and the mother of the house,
      interestingly enough, agreed. On the day of the meeting, none of the
      neighbors came, except for me, and all of the youth were gone, too. It
      was just me, the mother, the grandmother and a few young girls and their
      babies. And I explained my "two handed" strategy. That on the one
      hand, our block club should do everything to reach out and help their
      family. And on the other hand, we should methodically, step by step,
      through the city's legal system work to shut them down so they would
      lose their house. They were amazed that we might do both at the same
      time. It's completely disarming. It also strengthens the hand of the
      people inside the house who might bring some order.

      In that spirit, I would like us to pursue our different approaches each
      in their best way.

      One approach is the "volunteer fire department" approach. I encouraged
      that last year and I would like to do more of that. The goal is to
      provide independent peacemakers with as much authority as they might
      possibly exercise.

      Another approach might be called a "talking circles" approach. The goal
      is to include everybody and hear every point of view until everyone is
      heard, and build a space for consensus, which might blossom into peace
      centers.

      The two approaches can be very supportive of each other. I would like
      to see a system where "talking circles" foster friendships and
      solidarity, decide on long term priorities, work as the treasury and
      collect and dedicate funds, and foster what is orderly. The "voluntary
      fire departments" would work in the gaps, engage enemies, and address
      what is chaotic.

      Janet Feldman, Pamela McLean, Kennedy Owino and others have written
      about both approaches. I tried to support both approaches last year
      with my draft of a "Constitution for Humanity"
      http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?Constitution
      where the Stewardship Councils were for a "talking circles" approach and
      the Command Structure was for a "volunteer fire department" approach and
      also there were Cultural Congresses for fostering cultures, tribe by
      tribe, ancient and modern.

      Dennis Kimambo is very supportive and comfortable with my approach and
      leadership. I propose that he and I work at Fighting Peacefully to
      develop further the "volunteer fire department" approach, but also that
      we support a team for a "talking circles" approach. For example, Janet
      and Kennedy and Pamela might work together on peace centers. Rachel
      Wambui Kungu, as a peacemaker, might help bridge both of our
      approaches. Rachel and I and Pamela and Samwel and others could hammer
      out the implications in London.

      I have already written a proposal to host a Grundtvig workshop in Lithuania
      http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?Grundtvig
      that centers around the "volunteer fire department" that I'm familiar
      with. I plan to write a proposal to the leader of a Palestinian mobile
      phone company to fund work to organize and coach Palestinians, Israelis
      and others to practice working together online to support peace efforts
      around the world, such as in Zimbabwe. I would appreciate and support
      parallel efforts that foster "talking circles", such as "pads for peace".

      I also expect this week to write a letter to Kofi Annan, which will
      benefit greatly from our input so far and in coming days. I will write
      as my own person and not be shy to acknowledge my own work, which is
      also to cherish all of our work. I had the opportunity at the Open
      Davos Forum to ask of him one question for all to hear. He knows
      plenty about the world's problems, but I offered a new solution, which
      he agreed to support by forwarding my letter. My solution is that when
      people like us, who have such meek resources, apply our moral sense to
      respond to an emergency, and when "persons" like global corporations,
      who have such vast resources, neglect to act because they have no moral
      sense, then ultimately those corporations should be willing to pay what
      it would have cost them if they would have done what they should have.
      I find it is helpful to offer this solution because it appreciates the
      moral strength and material weakness of those who responded, and also
      offers to include those of material strength and moral weakness who
      might yet act and thereby grow. For this purpose, I will insist that we
      take a low-key approach, because we are public, but have no need for
      extra publicity, nor do we offer any. Indeed, as peacemakers we reached
      out to include violent people, and they and we are vulnerable because we
      embrace each other. Any corporate leaders that appreciate my logic, and
      contribute towards our replenishment, will not gain publicity, and will
      not simply do the right thing, but will also show by their contribution
      towards the past that they we might call on each other in the future.
      Kofi Annan worked closely with the Kenya business community, and I will
      ask their help to find global corporations that might appreciate my
      logic. We responded to a global problem, a potential genocide or civil
      war, that called for leadership from around the world, not just the
      region, and we should be replenished accordingly. I will ask for
      myself, but also express my hope that this just be a first step towards
      a general principle of replenishment for those who might accept that.
      My own estimates are that it would be fair if I receive $35,000 (of
      which $10,000 I gave away, $15,000 for my work at a corporate rate,
      $10,000 for the use of our online system), and just for the sake of
      scale, my opinion is that $100,000 for the Pyramid of Peace online team
      and $150,000 for the on-the-ground team would be fair replenishment, and
      I estimate $5,000,000 for all of Kenya, a very small amount of money.
      It would be quite surprising to get any contributions, but I think that
      these ideas might some day have great impact. They have enormous value
      in preparing and assuring in our world's uncertain future that
      individuals are ready and willing to respond to emergencies in every way
      they can. Just as soldiers receive land and pensions and health care,
      and armies are replenished with weapons, so might we be replenished. I
      am a rare individual who might apply my moral integrity and spend my
      moral capital towards such a profound solution.

      Thank you, Kennedy, Peter, Kenneth and all for reaching out to Kenya's
      Internally Displaced Persons. You are aware of the great need for
      help. I think it's fair to distinguish between global and regional
      challenges. Kenya's post-election turmoil was a challenge that clearly
      required global leadership wherever it may come. Kenya's IDP challenge
      I believe requires regional leadership. They are questions of a
      different nature. Last year the distinction was very clear, but time
      passes and so I remind us, and I also acknowledge the difference in our
      perspectives, yours in Kenya and mine from far away.

      I grew up comfortably, like most people in California, but I knew that
      my parents and grandparents didn't. My grandfather was executed during
      World War II and many of my grandparent's relatives were exiled to
      Siberia. My parents as children lived through five years of war and
      five years in refugee camps in Germany until finally they came to
      America in 1950.

      I share my imagination of such camps. If you put Dennis Kimambo,
      Kennedy Owino or Rachel Wambui Kungu in a camp for five years, then you
      will end up with hundreds of people active in community theatre,
      acrobatics, peacemaking and well prepared for life. Lithuanian refugee
      camps were crowded and poor but people had free time and they made good
      use of it, there was a flourishing of culture and learning because there
      was a national resolve to work towards independence which was, in fact,
      achieved 40 years later. Other people might turn to black marketeering,
      thievery, drugs and gangs.

      So the IDP camps may be an opportunity. I ask our Kenyans for
      leadership on a larger vision, but also, small projects. Yes, we can
      help a person. But it's a chance for a "talking circle" to bring
      together people of different tribes and circumstances to help that
      person or people. We might also help elders of various tribes foster
      their tribal cultures so that they are healthy and vibrant, so that
      people in the camps spend their time well and that tribes play a
      positive role.

      Replenishment for last year's emergency response and seeking funds for
      this year's priorities do not have to be linked. This money from
      different sources for different purposes. They work alongside each
      other like the two hands.

      Thank you for heartfelt letters and I look forward to more!

    • Janet Feldman
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 8, 2009
        Dear All,

        I have not seen a letter from Sam on this subject...did I miss it? Please
        repost, Sam or someone, so I can read it.

        Andrius and everyone, I appreciate what you have written, and can see the
        value of it. But I am also not of a mind to want to split things up into
        different categories. I also do not want to work only with certain people
        and not with others, so that is a question: can Dennis, for example--with
        whom I have had a lengthy prior friendship and working relationship, and
        with whom I would like to work here--engage with both "hands".

        I would like to see him posting publicly about his own views and interests
        and desires as to approaches on this subject. As I said to you both times
        you have visited, and at other times when we have spoken about this, one of
        things about last year that was the most frustrating and difficult for me is
        that I did not get to work with people who--in one way or the other--I
        brought into our circles myself, in the way that I find most satisfying and
        compelling. That includes Dennis and also Rachel.

        The whole premise of "holistic" thinking and helping is that there is a
        linkage between what might be called "opposites": hence talk and action,
        thought and feeling, structure and process are all connected in some way,
        like Yin and Yang, different yet inseparable.

        The two-handed strategy does illustrate that it is possible and even
        desirable to have two (or more) approaches going at the same time. However,
        there is also an intrinsic connectedness between the two that goes beyond
        the complementary. I do not know how that will be fostered adequately in the
        approach you outline, Andrius.

        I myself am not just about talking and "order", I am about chaos and action.
        I do not want to preside over only one hand, the one where talking and order
        and the long-term are predominant. I want to be involved with the action, I
        want to embrace the chaos, I want to be involved with "engaging the
        enemy"--as you put it--which sometimes actually turns out to be ourselves,
        or even our closest friends. This is what my deepest value is, this is what
        I have been trained for academically, this is what my life is about, and why
        I have focused here so much on the "holistic".

        I want the same for every one of us. It is one of the biggest challenges for
        all of us, as individuals and groups, to be about both. That is where
        inclusiveness and integration come in, that is where we find growth and
        engage the whole of what is means to be human.

        You have written this, Andrius: "I plan to write a proposal to the leader
        of a Palestinian mobile phone company to fund work to organize and coach
        Palestinians, Israelis and others to practice working together online to
        support peace efforts around the world, such as in Zimbabwe".

        I spent a great deal of time in graduate school not only studying conflict
        and its resolution, but this particular conflict, and ways in which it might
        be addressed. I also spent time with Israelis and Palestinians, working to
        address peace-related issues, and have a longstanding personal connection to
        Israel, where I have friends and also a part of my identity.

        I would love to work on a proposal with you, I would love to extend the
        online work we did with the Pyramid of Peace into work with Israelis and
        Palestinians, into work in Zimbabwe. And to work with our members and
        friends on that. Not in different circles and spheres, but together. There
        is no reason why the "volunteer fire department" cannot work in tandem with
        the "talking circles", in one and the same project or activity.

        I feel very frustrated right now, because I feel like I am being boxed into
        one approach, one activity. I want to promote peace centers, yes--so I would
        love to work with Pam-- but my life and work have been about being a bridge,
        so I want to do that with Rachel. I want to be part of the frontline
        endeavors, the "fire department", and work with you, Andrius, and Dennis.

        You have also said this today: "My solution is that when people like us,
        who have such meek resources, apply our moral sense to respond to an
        emergency, and when "persons" like global corporations, who have such vast
        resources, neglect to act because they have no moral sense, then ultimately
        those corporations should be willing to pay what it would have cost them if
        they would have done what they should have. I find it is helpful to offer
        this solution because it appreciates the moral strength and material
        weakness of those who responded, and also offers to include those of
        material strength and moral weakness who might yet act and thereby grow."

        I absolutely and totally disagree with you: this paints such a
        cut-and-dried picture of right and wrong, what--and who--is morally strong
        or weak. You must remember that corps are made up of people: as entities,
        sometimes it does seem like they have no soul, but on the other hand, human
        beings who create and run and work for these companies do.

        Sometimes it is helpful to remind them of that moral center, and I think it
        is alright to appeal to that moral center (ie it is the "right" thing from a
        human standpoint to support efforts to help IDPs who are struggling and in
        need), but to portray us as morally strong and them as morally weak is too
        holier-than-thou, it is too "either/or". The world is more complex than
        that, and our own efforts--let alone each of us as individual beings--are
        more complex than that.

        I have strong questions about the ethics of this approach, just as I have
        strong questions about the ethics of what happened last year, when you
        appointed yourself a "commander". Peace is not just an end, it is also a
        means, it is a process and intrinsic to every step we take and move we make.

        Andrius and all, your letter is helpful in some respects and I do see some
        merits in the two-handed strategy you are proposing. Yet it is also very
        disheartening to me, I have to confess.

        What I would propose would be quite different: it would involve talking and
        action both, approaching funding sources in a way that enlists them as part
        of the solution, not part of the problem. I would also like to see an
        "organic" process develop, whereby all of us together talk about action, and
        then act, where whatever structures and strategies we employ evolve from our
        talking and working together.

        Yesterday I felt excited and hopeful. Today I have very mixed feelings. So I
        am not sure what else to say or how to evolve this conversation. I will
        leave it for now and return when I have had more time to reflect.

        Thanks and greatest blessings to all, Janet

> [...]
        > thievery, drugs and gangs.
        >
        > So the IDP camps may be an opportunity. I ask our Kenyans for
        > leadership on a larger vision, but also, small projects. Yes, we can
        > help a person. But it's a chance for a "talking circle" to bring
        > together people of different tribes and circumstances to help that
        > person or people. We might also help elders of various tribes foster
        > their tribal cultures so that they are healthy and vibrant, so that
        > people in the camps spend their time well and that tribes play a
        > positive role.
        >
        > Replenishment for last year's emergency response and seeking funds for
        > this year's priorities do not have to be linked. This money from
        > different sources for different purposes. They work alongside each
        > other like the two hands.
        >
        > Thank you for heartfelt letters and I look forward to more!

        07:20:00