New Worknets page - SneakernetTrialInKenya

  • ricardoolpc
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 8, 2009

      Dear Andrius, Ken Owino and all

      I've just added a new page to Worknets, describing the Sneakernet Trial project that Ken Owino and I are doing in Kenya, in conjunction with the users, Samwel, Ken Chelimo, Tom Ochuka, David Mutua, etc.

      Please see this page...

      http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?SneakernetTrialInKenya

       It has an overview of the project and contains a download link for a PDF file the "Sneakernet Trial in Kenya - Operating Procedure", describing the project. It contains a map of Kenya, with the towns and routes marked on it.

      We will be using a star-shaped Sneakernet network, centred on Nairobi. Each town will connect to the rest of the network, by sending a flash drive once a week to/from Nairobi. In this way, each town only needs 1 flash drive to 'connect to the network'  and communicate with all the other towns. We will test the system using large video files, that would be expensive to send in any other way (such as by GPRS phone, where you would have to pay a lot per megabyte).

      The project will run for 3 months initially, but it's cheap to run (just postage costs), so there's no reason why it can't carry on. People can build many other services on top of the Sneakernet file transport layer, such as video-sharing, photo-sharing, distributing freeware/eBooks/newsletters/training-material, etc.

      After the trial, the final Sneakernet Operating Procedure will be published and people can change and adapt it for Sneakernet services in other places.

      Ricardo