Re: [learningfromeachother] Sustainability is a poor teacher!!!

  • Samwel Kongere
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2, 2009

      You are very right at your suggestion, when i was in Ghana Winneba University  June 2008: a presenter from the western world said "people talk of, where is your sustainability" Like what is your sustainability strategy?, to them donors, it must appear in your proposal to get funding on paper but not at community grass-root level! The problem is still the same, famine, diseases, poor infrastructure, etc.Where is the good papers of accountability and transparency?

      Surely Sustainability is a poor teacher!

      Peter Burgess <peterbNYC@...> wrote:
      Dear Samwell

      The subject caught my attention ... "Sustainability is a poor teacher!!!"

      I learned something the same when I was growing up ... something along
      the lines that it was not a disgrace to fail, but a disgrace not to
      try. Trying and failing is a critical part of learning ... especially
      as a child, but so also during ones whole life.

      I think it is fair to say that there is much less trying when life is
      comfortable and the status quo is just fine.

      I think it is also fair to say that as a global society we have done
      poorly relative to what should have been possible ... and this is
      something that I find very disappointing. Part of this is because too
      much of what goes on fails ... but nobody knows about it, nobody cares
      or perhaps little can be done about it.

      People talk about accountability and transparency, but as a practical
      matter nobody actually practices accountability and transparency. Many
      things are measured ... sports particularly ... corporate profit ...
      macroeconomic performance (like GNP, employment, etc) and wealth at
      the personal and family level ... but NOT socio-economic performance
      at the community level. Without measurement ... anything goes.

      When there are measures, failure is easy to recognize ... and the
      reasons can be looked into. When a problem is identified it can be

      Malaria burden ... when measured by the amounts now being spent ought
      to be rapidly declining ... but is it? And if it is ... or is not ...
      what are the causes of the changes, if any. Why don't we measure this
      at the community level? What malaria interventions have there been?
      What did these cost (and other details)? What changes have there been
      in the burden of malaria? All this can come from a simple time series.

      This is part of two initiatives that I am working on: (1) Community
      Analytics and (2) Intelligent Malaria Management (IMM) formerly
      Integrated Malaria Management! Together they can come together so that
      there are better results in the community, better allocation of
      available resources and everyone and every institution in the malaria
      industry being held accountable.

      At what point will it be possible for communities to do "intelligent
      malaria management" in a sustainable way? Clearly there are benefits
      in a community from better health ... but does this translate into
      more economic product ... and does this produce enough to make malaria
      interventions affordable? While there is a lot of money flowing from
      Government sources and philanthropy into the malaria industry ... this
      is not an effective solution because it leaves out the community level
      and worse, it is not a sustainable solution. The community must be
      able to afford what it needs ... and know enough to know what it

      Best wishes all

      Peter Burgess
      The Transparency and Accountability Network: Tr-Ac-Net in New York
      Community Analytics (CA)
      Integrated Malaria Management Consortium (IMMC)
      917 432 1191 or 212 772 6918 peterbnyc@...

      <*> Your email settings:
      Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to: