A visit to Deaf Impact School by Samwel Kongere

  • Samwel Kongere
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 16, 2009
      Hello Janet, Ricardo, Pamela, Andrius and all,

      I think and know it is past Valentine but i took this Valentine this year to visit Tom Ochuka and the deaf Impact School at Ahero. I am sending across my findings in this mail and the rest of the information I will keep for our planning for the consortium in July 1-3rd 2009 in Kisumu.
      So fast and sympathetic I met Ruth who does not know sign language and she is 15 years, she is new to the center for two days and Prisca & Austine who are 7 years are training her to communicate in sign language and play. I took some personal notes which i am going to sustain until I get some clarifications from Tom Ochuka. I have photos which I can not send in this forum but will send privately to Janet and Ricardo due to the assistance they had voluntarily gave to the school before. Ruth is here but older than the other children, she enjoying playing and learning sign language.
      Joseph A teacher and trainer (deaf) is wedding Mary Ann (deaf) from Kitale on 23rd May 2009.The Wedding ceremony will be at Ahero in A place we will communicate, it is going to be Avery wonderful/important wedding even the hearing (people)  cannot afford!, surely God is loving and caring for the other challenged people. Joseph can use a mobile phone, sending SMS but Juliana who is a teacher (deaf) is having no phone, have marital problems?

      Another child Janet is enjoying to be together after being transfered from a hearing school to deaf Impact. I found then doing Time Reading (maths). The parents are to pay KES: 500.00 monthly to help the teachers but they do not pay. This is not good for maintaining and sustaining the Teachers, Tom and other management issues. Some logistics  are to be addressed by the executive Association, administrators and initiators.
      Deaf Impact School is hosted by AIC (Africa Inland Church). There is land donated by community member but funds to construct this is not available. The church does not have any proper security and most of the materials, food, feeding and playing equipment is stolen.

      I am going to take an estimate from a constructor, see way of starting to help. Other reasons for this pathetic situation is due to Malaria and forms of treatment.
      I have too much to say but will keep the rest until i consult with Tom Ochuka and Kenneth Chelimo.

      I am going to communicate the plan and budget as soon as possible on our Focus of Sustainable Local Responsible Tourism and Agriculture. The Theme and approach for this is underway.
      Samwel.

      Janet Feldman <kaippg@...> wrote:
      My Dearest Friend Barbara, Jared, and All,

      I am so profoundly honored and touched by this beautiful letter, and by your own marvelous and inspiring spirit. This idea of making a donation a day, and dedicating that to someone linked to an organization and a people near and dear to your heart, is an excellent and invaluable one, worthy of emulation by us all.

      Such generosity and kindness are a treasure, and we are deeply grateful to you for sharing it. This "simple act" you describe can have the most far-reaching consequences for good in the world.

      It is so true that small amounts can make a huge difference, and anyone can do it. That is very encouraging in these times when people do not have much in the way of material goods:  they need to know that they can still give something, most importantly the gift of their caring and concern for others.

      Please keep reporting to us about who you are honoring, and how things are going. I will also be in contact with you and Jared about CEPACET soon, and I so much look forward to working together!

      We will love to have you here among us in a continuing way!!  You bring light, joy, hope, and soul to our work and to our lives. We need that, and you, to help ensure that what we do, say, create, share--and how we approach and frame it all--will have a connection to something transcendent, something beyond ourselves.

      For as much as we are trying to develop ourselves as individuals, and "thinkers", we also need the inner balance and ballast of "feeling", and of a connection to something larger than ourselves (what we often call the "divine"). That is a "holistic" view of health, development, and growth, both personal and collective.

      I cherish and have been so uplifted by your words, your presence, your "essence", and your love. It is an immense privilege to be so loved, and I too love you dearly. I am so lucky to have you for a friend: there truly could be no greater gift, and prize!

      I can only say again--"thank you", from the bottom of my heart--and I hope and pray that there will be many more years (and lifetimes) to "do" and to "be" together!!

      My love and blessings always to you, and to all! Janet