Re: ICT's Girl child Education

  • Dan Otedo
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 8, 2009

      Education of girls is essential in the drive by nations to achieve the Millennium Development Goals .Although the education policy of most African countries do not discriminate against girls and women, there is a serious gender disparity in enrolment and transition form one level to the next, especially in rural Africa.

      Many girls hardly get the right/relevant type of education that would make them overcome the social, cultural and health challenges .Hardly does the education system help them realize their full potential and prepare them on the path of being active global citizens .How then should Africa tackle these challenges to girl child education?

      Like in many parts of Africa, the challenges to girl-child in Kenya are varied. While some might lead to drop out; others affect the quality of learning, leaving most girls with education that is hardly useful in a very fast paced and complex society

      Of vital importance is building the capacity of female teachers and education officers with the skills and aptitude to make them comfortable tackling real challenges to the education of girls. Teachers interact with many students on daily basis and spend a total of nine months (9) a year with the pupils, thus the need to be adequately endowed with information.

      The 21st century teacher needs to provide the learners with innovative learning experiences. Staying stay ahead in Digital literacy which equips them with appropriate productivity skills and adoption of digital lifestyles will foster the right attitude to support and sustain changes in service delivery and governance.

      Information communication technology (ICT) not only holds the keys to revolutionize pedagogical methods and expand and access to quality education but also has the key to unlock the doors to a myriad of social problems and the embracing of result based management of education systems

      We have in the past pilot tested this at the Suba Youth Resource Centre by training 230 marginalized youthful women and 40 male youths in Suba district on digital literacy, entrepreneurship and life skills ICT’s .The results are marvelous.89% of the trainees, some who had dropped out of school and opted for marriage have gone on to pursue further studies ,enroll for certificate /diploma education in colleges  as they have a sense of rejuvenation in purpose  and adoption of new values in their lives .

      Dan Andrew Otedo.
      Program Officer,
      The African Center for Women,Informations
      Communications Technology(ACWICT)
      Tel :(+254)-020-3862907/107
      cell phone :+254720366094.
      e-mail: dotedo@...

      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 12, 2009
        Dear Peter and Pam,
        I cant how many books i gave Dan, Rachel, Sam and Ken but can remember giving Dan 10 yunus CD's, 5 each for Kenya and Tanzania team and gave Fred 5 CD's and 2 books for Uganda. Maria confirmed that the Tanzania team didnt need books because she had ordered some for them.

        I only have my copy after sharing others with the GRASSUP Kenya and Teachers Talking groups BUT can give more CD's I still have 10.

        Thanks

        David N. Mutua
        Programme Director
        Centre for African Learning and Development (CALD) - Kenya
        Returned VSO Volunteer.
        Independent ICT4D and Education Researcher and Practitioner.
        Tel: +254 720 462 559
        E-mail: davenzainga@... or davenzainga@...