Solar Mosquito Repellant

  • Kennedy Owino
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 26, 2009
      Hi Great Thinkers,

      I am just revisiting one of the discussions that has been of major interest.
      Malaria has been and still is the World's leading killer.
      We have been rubbing minds and exploring on how different technologies and traditional ways could be employed to contain Malaria.
      We have also been through discussions and experiments on innovative Solar gadgets by Graham.

      I came across a hook type solar mosquito repellant with a compass- a duty free gadget sold in British airways planes.
      I don't know how much it would retail in the ordinary local markets.
      My Fiancee bought it for us at an equivallent Ksh 1500.
      I have experimented it's effectiveness in the past one week and i must admit my findings are worth sharing.
      The gadget is more suitable for not only campers, holiday makers, hikers, outdoor sports but also the poor slum and village communities.
      It is so mobile and can be placed on a table in the living room, a window in the bedroom, a wall in the rest rooms or carried along anywhere anyone walks.
      The main function of this gadget is to repel mosquitoes (which as everyone knows are a nuisance to us all) by using the newest sound wave technology.
      According to scientific research, the female mosquitoes normally bites during their spawning period, at this time they do not like being approached by male mosquitoes.
      So the repellent produces the same frequency of the male mosquito (around 5KHZ-9KHZ) to repel the female mosquito away.

      This gadget works by generating sound wave which imitates the sound of a male mosquito to deter spawning female mosquitoes. it has been proven that a breeding female will bite humans and animals. By nature, female mosquitoe will attempt to avoid the male.
      By using this principle (Sound wave technology), it guarantees no harm to any human, animal,or any environmental pollution.
      A slight mild audible sound may be heard  if you are close enough to the device.
      This means it is working correctly.
      No battery is needed as it operates by Solar power.
      It has a compass-to assist people (students or travellers) to identify the directions in outdoors.
      It can be easily hooked on a coat, bag or anything that one is carrying.
      We have seen in our studies that where as a mosquto net would be best in preventing malaria, mosquitoes would still bite anytime before one gets inside his/her net covered bed to sleep.
      This device would therefore be of benefit because it works anytime during the day or night.
      Other than the bed net, the malaria prone communities should equally be sensitized on other measures of containing mosquitoes as clearing bushes,  clean environment, clearing or spraying stagnant ponds and water places with insecticides, using mosquito repellant jellies which can be made from neem tree or pepper or burning pepper in an open fire -a popular traditional way of producing pepper scented environment that kills insects.

      I confirmed from the local drug stores here and i realised that the anti-malarial drugs are outrageously / exorbitant priced.
      A visiting tourist has to part with Ksh 2,500 per month for  cheap generic anti- malarial medication.
      There has been an increase of people from poor communities using mosquito nets as  fishing nets, the recent case was reported during the floods that hit Bundalagi constituency in Kenyan Western province.
      In regard to the above concerns,i reckon the solar mosquito repellant would be practically appropriate and more useful.
      Perhaps Peter Ongele, Sam Kongere, Graham or Fred Kayiwa  would find it a matter of interest to include/experiment on the gadget's concept as they have been doing with the Solar Mobile Chargers, research and malaria community advocacy programmes.
      Maria or William, Josephat, Kims and their Tanzania counterparts would think of including this in their Solar and Mobile repair projects.
      We would also brainstorm on the same concept to come up with a cheap locally made prototype that would later be developed into a gadget that the slum dwellers and rural communities can easily afford.

      I hope we can all think deep and widely to come up with great ideas worth to bring positive change thus dispelling the myth that poverty, low education, or limited resources is an hindrance towards positive development- Yes we can.

      Ken Owino
      Nafsi Africa Acrobats
      www.nafsiafrica.org
      +254723568251