Worknets Charter

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 21, 2009
      Sunday, Barbara Horst and I visited Janet Feldman in Barrington, Rhode
      Island. Janet and I made good progress on how we might work together for
      a successful Charter and culture. I share my understanding, upon further
      reflection. I invite Janet and all to add your thoughts! This will be a
      long discussion.

      My aim is to organize a culture of, by and for independent thinkers. The
      purpose of this culture is to embrace and nurture individuals as such, so
      they might thrive free of any groups. My intent is to foster a culture
      where individuals are always primary, and groups are always secondary with
      regard to individuals. This means that individuals can participate in
      this culture without "joining" but simply as individuals who identify with
      the same existential situation. We can organize ourselves by making
      explicit our existential situation. We should be careful as organizers
      because we can easily slip to champion the group instead of the
      individual.

      Janet and I sorted out that different people care about such a culture to
      different degrees, and so we should be sure that they have an appropriate
      degree of impact.
      * At one extreme, I am dedicated to jumpstarting such a culture. In this
      sense, it is "my project". My role is to make explicit, as much as I can,
      with input from others, What is the existential situation at the core of
      our culture? I think this is the reason why I should author the Worknets
      charter, because I identify so much with this existential situation and I
      champion it.
      * At the other extreme are people who have a personal interest in this
      culture, who identify with it, want to participate in it and contribute to
      it. They can choose to accept the charter and also they should be able to
      add their clarifications where they might disagree or where they'd like to
      add more to it.
      * Yet most important for the ultimate success of our culture and charter
      are the people who care about this culture not just for themselves, but
      for others as well, who they work with and nurture. Janet and I agreed
      that there should be a special role for active leaders of working groups
      (like Janet, Pamela, Franz, Edward, Samwel, ...). These are people who
      are investing in our culture, offering their leadership by openly growing,
      and nurturing others at venues they host. They are leaders who appreciate
      as moderators that our participants are at various degrees of awareness as
      independent thinkers. They also appreciate, in practice, the relationship
      between the value of a group as a venue, but also their responsibility as
      the leader for their group. They have many practical concerns that the
      Charter should acknowledge, and they should be able to work out policies,
      as relevant. Ultimately, Worknets is a network of such active leaders,
      each of whom stands alone as a center for activity, and all of whom work
      together because they share this culture as independent thinkers.

      I want to focus on clarifying our expectations coming from the existential
      situation of independent thinkers. I wish to be open to all manner of
      input regarding that, but I want to integrate and express that myself, as
      best I can. I am very interested that our active group leaders might be
      in charge of working out the practical policies. Here there influence is
      essential and my interest is to support their decision-making.

      Thank you, Janet, for helping me appreciate these distinctions. They
      certainly help me share more authority as we grow our culture.

      What do we think?

      I will keep writing and sharing drafts of the Worknets charter. I look
      forward to our thoughts. I would like to meet in London to discuss there.
      Then we might agree to a first 2009 version of the charter.

      http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?Charter

      AndriusKulikauskas January 18, 2009 16:22 CET I want to send out my
      thoughts on a Worknets Charter for a culture of independent thinkers,
      which might in ten or twenty years have 100,000 active and 1,000,000
      supportive participants. My thought is that I author such a charter so as
      to express my vision and then to evolve that charter over the years with
      our help. Here are the parts...

      Preamble

      What do we mean by a culture of, by and for independent thinkers?

      What is attractive about such a culture?

      This charter supports this culture by defining our expectations.

      We want everybody to use their own best judgment.

      Practical Rules

      * Venues are Public Domain by default.
      * Money can bring people together, but you can't pay people to care.
      * We want all individuals to succeed. Groups are not substitute for
      individuals.

      How people benefit

      * Moral support
      * More minds
      * Social framework for making one's dreams real
      * Discovering resources for making a living and one's projects
      * Personal growth

      The growth of the independent thinker.

      We allow that everyone is the same, and that everyone grows, so it's
      natural that we are at various levels of maturity.

      We accept each person growing by their own will at their own pace.

      We grow along with each person who grows.

      Everybody has a capacity for independent thinking, but not everbody has to
      exercise that, and we all have the same rights as human beings regardless.

      Everybody thinks, but not everybody cares about thinking.

      We support people by fostering their leadership at the stage of growth
      they identify with:

      * Understanding oneself as an independent thinker. What does that
      mean? Learning to think out loud.
      * Learning about oneself by doing projects.
      * Integrating oneself, being well rounded, resolving one's tensions,
      "knowing oneself" by clarifying one's own deepest value. Leading a
      working group. Linking of social and individual.
      * Leading by what we don't know rather than what we know. Investigating.
      * Wishing for others to challenge us to grow. Inviting others
      likewise. Checking one's selfish influence with a vantage point (one's
      God) that's greater than one's self. Fostering a sensitivity to that
      vantage point.
      * ...learning to grow and live forever...

      Where is God relevant or not?

      * Caring about God is ok
      * Loving one's enemy
      * Checking one's self
      * Reaching out to the hard to reach

      Layers of a culture for independent thinkers.
      Levels of unity for "we".
      * God - who is alone - as an independent thinker. Accepting that our
      universe is supportive of independent thinking.
      * Independent thinkers -
      * Global village centers
      * Self-learner thematic paths
      * Festivals
      * Interest groups
      * Concords

      Economic principles

      * Working for free and for pay
      * Meeting each other halfway
      * Being careful with the poor
      * Learning to share

      Showing that one is a member

      * Accepting the charter means that one will abide the "practical
      rules" and clarify where one has differences with the vision so far
      * Accepting the charter, adding one's comments and clarifications
      * Posting at one's website the Worknets feeds and/or widgets with our
      Meet with us! Shop with us! Network with us! Chat with us! latest
      news.
      * Being active through these channels
      * Sharing one's deepest value, investigatory question, etc.

      Evolving governance

      * Worknets is open to all cultures, beliefs, movements, acknowledges
      lovely endeavors and seeks to learn and merge where possible although
      that is difficult
      * Worknets is a practical attempt at "the kingdom of heaven" as
      sketched by Jesus
      * Worknets Charter is authored by Andrius Kulikauskas as a practical
      consequence of his quest to know everything and apply that usefully
      * Worknets - a healthy organization has a wider movement
      * Worknets is initiated and organized by Minciu Sodas, a base for
      independent thinkers which Andrius owns and leads
      * Worknets needs to evolve beyond that as a complete culture with a
      governance structure that includes all as leaders to the fullness of
      their ambition
      * Worknets evolves through our learning in practice how to work
      together on projects, share resources, organize content, help each
      other grow.
      * Worknets Charter is rewritten yearly or more frequently to embrace
      this evolution.