Buddy-style teaching guides - Post Office 'Internet Buddy Guide'

  • ricardoolpc
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 20, 2009

      Dear Pam

      I was looking at the BBC News site the other day, and they had a story and video about young people teaching older people (the "Digitally Excluded") how to get started with computers and the internet.  The story is called "How to teach a Technophobe".

      For those people with broadband, the video is very useful, showing a girl teaching an older woman about computers...

      They use an excellent new 'Internet Buddy Guide', published for free by the UK Post Office on their website as a downloadable PDF file. It has pictures, text and step-by-step instructions for someone to act in the role of 'buddy' and teach someone the absolute basics of computers and the internet, in the same teaching style a friend would.

      It's written for the student and buddy (teacher) to read together.

      There only seems to be a direct download link, not a web-page. So, please right-click this link, 'save' to hard disk and open it...

      ftp://ftp.royalmail.com/Downloads/public/ctf/po/Internet_Buddy_Guide_final.pdf

      I'd be interested in your comments. The guide could be useful for the Self Directed Learners group, Teachers Talking, and various other ICT education projects in Africa.

      It's very clear and well-written, and could serve as a guide/example for writing similar 'buddy teaching' guides on other subjects, such as using digital cameras. The style just captures/formalises what you would teach a friend, in a clear step-by-step way.

      Ricardo

      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 27, 2009
        Hi Ricardo (and Dadamac team) and Everyone

        ~ Ricardo and Everyone:
        Sorry it has taken me so long to check these teaching resources and get back to you - (and apologies to others I still owe emails to - including Thomas - Thomas, rest assured that I have not deleted the photos).

        The resources you link to in your email Ricardo are excellent.

        I think these resources will be useful to anyone who wants to help share Internet skills with other people. Maybe some people will be able to down load the files and copy them for others to see offline. I hope the video is not too bandwidth hungry. (I have not checked copyright issues. My guess is that it is for free circulation as long as no-one makes money from it. Perhaps someone can check.) I will copy this email to the Dadamac team in Nigeria.

        The resources have double value. One - the information content is good (regarding what is explained and also how it is explained). Two - the hints and demonstrations on how to teach the content (as a buddy) are excellent and should be very helpful, especially for people accustomed to a more formal, rote learning approach.

        ~Dadamac team members who teach ICT related topics (and Nikki) and Ricardo-
        I think the video and course notes could be a very valuable addition to various courses at the Knowledge Resource Centre. Please see Ricardo's email below,  and then next week I will try to get the resources he mentions included on the agenda for our weekly online discussion.

        Many thanks Ricardo.

        Pam