Re: [learningfromeachother] Scratch anyone?

  • baghevli2@worldbank.org
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 20, 2009
      Fred,
      Go to http://scratch.mit.edu or go directly to DrSuper Games and activities at
      http://scratch.mit.edu/users/DrSuper. There are over 600 math activities at all
      levels see http://scratch.mit.edu/galleries/view/6423 (I have just added my
      activities to this gallery. In all there are more than 300,000 projects mostly
      done by kids arount 10-14.
      Regards
      Behrouz
      DrSuper in Scratch

      kayiwa fred
      <fdkayiwa@...
      Sent by: learningfromeachother@yahoogroups.com
      learningfromeachoth cc
      er@yahoogroups.com globalvillages@yahoogroups.com,
      holistichelping@yahoogroups.com,
      learningfromeachother@yahoogroups.com,
      01/20/2009 12:31 AM livingbytruth@yahoogroups.com,
      minciu_sodas_en@yahoogroups.com
      Subject
      Please respond to Re: [learningfromeachother] Scratch
      learningfromeachoth anyone?
      er@yahoogroups.com

      Thanks  Ron for joining us here<br>earlier Andrius taught us the phonic games and the
      kids i lead were interested <br>i wonder how your games look like and how scratch people
      rgb(16, 16, 255); margin-left: 5px; padding-left: 5px;"><br>From: baghevli2@...
      <baghevli2@...><br>Subject: [learningfromeachother] Scratch anyone?<br>To:
      learningfromeachother@yahoogroups.com<br>Cc: globalvillages@yahoogroups.com,
      holistichelping@yahoogroups.com, learningfromeachother@yahoogroups.com,
      livingbytruth@yahoogroups.com, minciu_sodas_en@yahoogroups.com<br>Date: Monday, January

      <!--~-|**|PrettyHtmlStartT|**|-~-->
      left;">
      <!--~-|**|PrettyHtmlEndT|**|-~-->

      I met Andrius at an OLPC conference at MIT. I am very interested in developing a<br>
      complete set of games and activities in Scratch with strong<br>
      mathematical/ Scientefic content for K-8 (I was meeting with Scratch people at<br>
      MIT to discuss the same.). I would be willing to bring this to your School<br>
      District. I have developed already some 20 games and activities in Scratch and<br>
      have formed small network of developers and teachers working on this goal. I<br>
      also speak French and could work with your district to develop multilingual<br>
      activities.<br>
      Best Regards<br>
      Behrouz Aghevli<br>
      DrSuper in Scratch<br>
      P.S. If you have not heard from scratch this is a short intro I wrote up to<br>
      present at a Regional National Conference of Teachers of Mathematics (and got<br>
      rejected;=<)<br>
      Scratch your way to using, adapting and creating powerful tools for teaching and<br>
      learning mathematics.<br>
      Scratch is a free and simple programming language from MIT Media Lab enabling<br>
      teachers & students to create their own interactive web math activities,<br>
      animations, games, etc. Virtual versions of the most popular manipulative<br>
      programs: are already created in Scratch and can be used, enhanced by your<br>
      class.<br>
      Encourage and excite the educator & teachers to become members of the Scratch<br>
      community as users and developers.<br>
      Show how easily the activities created in Scratch can be used or enhanced.<br>
      Demonstrate how easily educators, teachers and students with no programming<br>
      background can become Scratch developers.<br>
      Show Scratch Forum as an ideal community for developing and sharing web based<br>
      math & science activities & games.<br>
      Provide a history of programming languages for development of math activities<br>
      and games on the web and to demonstrate what distinguishes Scratch from<br>
      all the rest.<br>
      "Ron Canuel" <br>
      <<a rel="nofollow" ymailto="mailto:canuelr%40etsb.qc.ca" target="_blank"
      href="/mc/compose?to=canuelr%40etsb.qc.ca">canuelr@etsb. qc.ca</a> <br>
      > To <br>
      Sent by: <<a rel="nofollow" ymailto="mailto:learningfromeachother%40yahoogroups.com"
      target="_blank"
      href="/mc/compose?to=learningfromeachother%40yahoogroups.com">learningfromeachoth
      er@yahoogroups. com</a> <br>
      learningfromeachoth >, <<a rel="nofollow" ymailto="
      mailto:minciu_sodas_en%40yahoogroups.com" target="_blank"
      href="/mc/compose?to=minciu_sodas_en%40yahoogroups.com">minciu_sodas_ en@yahoogroups.
      com</a>>, <br>
      <a rel="nofollow" ymailto="mailto:er%40yahoogroups.com" target="_blank"
      href="/mc/compose?to=er%40yahoogroups.com">er@yahoogroups. com</a> "<a rel="nofollow"
      ymailto="mailto:Learningfromeachother%40yahoogroups.com" target="_blank"
      href="/mc/compose?to=Learningfromeachother%40yahoogroups.com">Learningfromeachoth
      er@yahoogroups. com</a> <br>
      " <br>
      <<a rel="nofollow" ymailto="mailto:learningfromeachother%40yahoogroups.com"
      target="_blank"
      href="/mc/compose?to=learningfromeachother%40yahoogroups.com">learningfromeachoth
      er@yahoogroups. com</a> <br>
      01/18/2009 09:01 PM > <br>
      cc <br>
      <<a rel="nofollow" ymailto="mailto:holistichelping%40yahoogroups.com" target="_blank"
      href="/mc/compose?to=holistichelping%40yahoogroups.com">holistichelping@ yahoogroups.
      com</a>>, <br>
      Please respond to <<a rel="nofollow" ymailto="mailto:globalvillages%40yahoogroups.com"
      target="_blank" href="/mc/compose?to=globalvillages%40yahoogroups.com">globalvillages@
      yahoogroups. com</a>>, <br>
      learningfromeachoth <<a rel="nofollow" ymailto="mailto:livingbytruth%40yahoogroups.com"
      target="_blank" href="/mc/compose?to=livingbytruth%40yahoogroups.com">livingbytruth@
      yahoogroups. com</a>> <br>
      <a rel="nofollow" ymailto="mailto:er%40yahoogroups.com" target="_blank"
      href="/mc/compose?to=er%40yahoogroups.com">er@yahoogroups. com</a> Subject <br>
      RE: {?POURRIEL-SPAM? } <br>
      [learningfromeachot her] Pam looking <br>
      ahead for 2009 and Notes for a <br>
      Worknets Charter <br>
      Hello, <br>
      Thank you for the invitation and look forward to hearing and sharing viewpoints on <br>
      education and in particular, the role that ICT can play. In our School District, <br>
      we remain one of the very few public school districts in North America that has <br>
      maintained a 1:1 wireless laptop deployment for all of our students from Grades <br>
      3-11. We began our initiative in 2003 and have acquired over six years of <br>
      pertinent experience, especially in the domain of change and ICT effective <br>
      integration. <br>
      In the province of Quebec, a socio-constructivis t approach has been implemented in <br>
      all primary and secondary schools. We remain an island surrounded by simple <br>
      standards based education systems. <br>
      The result of our Enhanced Learning Strategy (ELS) with laptops has been profound <br>
      and significant. Our academic results are up, our student motivation is up, our <br>
      dropout rates are down, our community involvement is up and increasing. We are, <br>
      however, a kept secret since our government refuses to acknowledge the work of our <br>
      teachers and students, for fear that our success spreads to other districts. The <br>
      notion of "Local Design" and "Governance" is very prevalent, which sadly makes <br>
      leadership in education a less-than-sought commodity. <br>
      I look forward to future exchanges and invite the group members to our website <br>
      www:etsb.qc. ca <br>
      Sincerely, <br>
      Ron Canuel <br>
      Director General <br>
      Eastern Townships School Board <br>
      -----Original Message----- <br>
      From: <a rel="nofollow" ymailto="mailto:learningfromeachother%40yahoogroups.com"
      target="_blank"
      href="/mc/compose?to=learningfromeachother%40yahoogroups.com">learningfromeachoth
      er@yahoogroups. com</a> on behalf of Pamela McLean <br>
      Sent: Sun 1/18/2009 11:08 AM <br>
      To: <a rel="nofollow" ymailto="mailto:minciu_sodas_en%40yahoogroups.com" target="_blank"
      href="/mc/compose?to=minciu_sodas_en%40yahoogroups.com">minciu_sodas_ en@yahoogroups.
      com</a>; <a rel="nofollow" ymailto="mailto:Learningfromeachother%40yahoogroups.com"
      target="_blank"
      href="/mc/compose?to=Learningfromeachother%40yahoogroups.com">Learningfromeachoth
      er@yahoogroups. com</a> <br>
      Cc: <a rel="nofollow" ymailto="mailto:holistichelping%40yahoogroups.com" target="_blank"
      href="/mc/compose?to=holistichelping%40yahoogroups.com">holistichelping@ yahoogroups.
      com</a>; <a rel="nofollow" ymailto="mailto:globalvillages%40yahoogroups.com"
      target="_blank" href="/mc/compose?to=globalvillages%40yahoogroups.com">globalvillages@
      yahoogroups. com</a>; <br>
      <a rel="nofollow" ymailto="mailto:livingbytruth%40yahoogroups.com" target="_blank"
      href="/mc/compose?to=livingbytruth%40yahoogroups.com">livingbytruth@ yahoogroups. com</a>
      Subject: {?POURRIEL-SPAM? } [learningfromeachot her] Pam looking ahead for 2009 and <br>
      Notes for a Worknets Charter <br>
      Hi Andrius and everyone. <br>
      First, my apologies to you if I am seeming to neglect our shared interests <br>
      at present. Please continue to have patience with me. David Mutua, <br>
      congratulations to you and your wife on your traditional marriage! Ken I am <br>
      sorry we have not managed to continue our interrupted Skype chat, Fola I am <br>
      still thinking how we best collaborate, Fred, I hope you are feeling better <br>
      after your accident, Dan I am excited about what you are doing with <br>
      teachers, Graham and Samwel, we have a lot of catching up to do, the list <br>
      should go on - instead I will just say, everyone, I wish you well for 2009 <br>
      and look forward to learning and collaborating effectivley together. <br>
      I am starting 2009 by reflecting on what I have been doing over the past 8 <br>
      years. I am considering my priorities in response to what I have learned. I <br>
      am re-organising my physical spaces and virtual spaces so that I can live, <br>
      work, learn, connect and collaborate more effectively. <br>
      I hope that as my re-organisation continues and starts bearing visible <br>
      fruit it will benefit everyone I connect with. <br>
      I (and others "who share my physical spaces") are already seeing the <br>
      benefit, regarding better use of the physical spaces I use. I hope similar <br>
      benefits will become real online as well, before too long. <br>
      I did some online tidying up before Christmas, by starting to collect up <br>
      various pieces of information on my blog <br>
      <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="http://learnbydoinguk.blogspot.com/.">
      http://learnbydoing uk.blogspot. com/.</a> If you have time to explore the <br>
      list of links <br>
      <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="
      http://learnbydoinguk.blogspot.com/2008/12/useful-links.html,">http://learnbydoing
      uk.blogspot. com/2008/ 12/useful- links.html,</a> on the RHS of <br>
      the front page, you will get an opportunity to check out information about <br>
      some of the people, places and projects that I was connecting with at the <br>
      end of last year. This blog archive collection is a first step towards <br>
      collecting information in one place ready to feed into a proper online <br>
      presence (and content management system) for Dadamac/me. I hope to gradually <br>
      bring together various initiatives, information sources, contacts, ideas, <br>
      ongoing project work, etc, in a way that serves various needs - useful for <br>
      me, and the Dadamac team, and also easy to share with others. I hope it will <br>
      bring together various things - the things from the past (things that I have <br>
      left scattered around the Internet over the years), the things I am involved <br>
      with now, and the things I am hoping to be involved in in future. <br>
      There is still much to do, before my online friends and contacts will see <br>
      any useful results. However I have been thinking about this online <br>
      re-organisation for a long time, and now I am being helped to do it in <br>
      practice, so I hope to have something useful to show well before the end of <br>
      2009. Meanwhile, I may continue to be less in eveidence online than I used <br>
      to be. <br>
      Andrius - Ref your email Notes for a Worknets Charter <br>
      These notes are very helpful - my first mpression is that your definintion <br>
      of an independent thinker is very similar to the way I might describe a self <br>
      directer learner. <br>
      Personally I would find it useful - for discussion purposes - if the points <br>
      were numbered for easy reference <br>
      Hmm - as this a discussion the points may change so the numbering system <br>
      might not last. <br>
      Maybe if they were at least clustered under numbered headings.... . <br>
      First impressions: <br>
      Regarding Worknets I'm very happy with: <br>
      Your Practical Rules. <br>
      How people benefit <br>
      By the time you get to the end of <br>
      The growth of the independent thinker. I feel I need to consider more <br>
      carefully all that you mean. <br>
      And once you get into: <br>
      Layers of a culture for independent thinkers. Levels of unity for "we" and <br>
      so on, <br>
      I feel I need more time to read the rest, and think, and respond, and I <br>
      don't know how long it will be until I can do that. For now I am trying to <br>
      keep my head down, and concetrate on my re-organisation - physical and <br>
      virtual ( and, eek! also get my income tax returns in before the month is <br>
      over.) <br>
      Warm regards and belated seasons greetings to all my friends and contacts <br>
      From <br>
      Pam <br>
      2009/1/18 Andrius Kulikauskas <<a rel="nofollow" ymailto="mailto:ms%40ms.lt"
      target="_blank" href="/mc/compose?to=ms%40ms.lt">ms@...</a>> <br>
> [...]
      > We support people by fostering their leadership at the stage of growth <br>
      > they identify with: <br>
      > * Understanding oneself as an independent thinker. What does that mean? <br>
      > Learning to think out loud. <br>
      > * Learning about oneself by doing projects. <br>
      > * Integrating oneself, being well rounded, resolving one's tensions, <br>
      > "knowing oneself" by clarifying one's own deepest value. Leading a <br>
      > working group. <br>
      > * Leading by what we don't know rather than what we know. Investigating. <br>
      > * Wishing for others to challenge us to grow. Inviting others likewise. <br>
      > Checking one's selfish influence with a vantage point (one's God) that's <br>
      > greater than one's self. Fostering a sensitivity to that vantage point. <br>
      > * ...learning to grow and live forever... <br>
      > Layers of a culture for independent thinkers. Levels of unity for "we". <br>
      > * God - who is alone - as an independent thinker. Accepting that our <br>
      > universe is supportive of independent thinking. <br>
      > * Independent thinkers - <br>
      > * Global village centers <br>
      > * Self-learner thematic paths <br>
      > * Festivals <br>
      > * Interest groups <br>
      > * Concords <br>
      > Where is God relevant or not? <br>
      > * Caring about God is ok <br>
      > * Loving one's enemy <br>
      > * Checking one's self <br>
      > * Reaching out to the hard to reach <br>
      > Economic principles <br>
      > * Working for free and for pay <br>
      > * Meeting each other halfway <br>
      > * Being careful with the poor <br>
      > * Learning to share <br>
      > Showing that one is a member <br>
      > * Accepting the charter, adding one's comments and clarifications <br>
      > * Posting at one's website the Worknets feeds and/or widgets with our Meet <br>
      > with us! Shop with us! Network with us! Chat with us! latest news. <br>
      > Evolving governance <br>
      > * Worknets is open to all cultures, beliefs, movements, acknowledges <br>
      > lovely endeavors and seeks to learn and merge where possible although that <br>
      > is difficult <br>
      > * Worknets is a practical attempt at "the kingdom of heaven" as sketched <br>
      > by Jesus <br>
      > * Worknets Charter is authored by Andrius Kulikauskas as a practical <br>
      > consequence of his quest to know everything and apply that usefully <br>
      > * Worknets is initiated and organized by Minciu Sodas, a base for <br>
      > independent thinkers which Andrius owns and leads <br>
      > * Worknets needs to evolve beyond that as a complete culture with a <br>
      > governance structure that includes all as leaders to the fullness of their <br>
      > ambition <br>
      > * Worknets evolves through our learning in practice how to work together <br>
      > on projects, share resources, organize content, help each other grow. <br>
      > * Worknets Charter is rewritten yearly or more frequently to embrace this <br>

      <!--~-|**|PrettyHtmlStart|**|-~-->
      <!--~-|**|PrettyHtmlEnd|**|-~-->

      <!--~-|**|PrettyHtmlStart|**|-~-->

      <!--
      #yiv339368113 #ygrp-mkp{
      #yiv339368113 #ygrp-mkp hr{
      border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}
      #yiv339368113 #ygrp-mkp #hd{
      #yiv339368113 #ygrp-mkp #ads{
      margin-bottom:10px;}
      #yiv339368113 #ygrp-mkp .ad{
      padding:0 0;}
      #yiv339368113 #ygrp-mkp .ad a{
      color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
      -->

      <!--
      #yiv339368113 #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{
      font-family:Arial;}
      #yiv339368113 #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{
      #yiv339368113 #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
      margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
      -->

      <!--
      #yiv339368113 #ygrp-mlmsg {font-size:13px;font-family:arial, helvetica, clean,
      sans-serif;}
      #yiv339368113 #ygrp-mlmsg table {font-size:inherit;font:100%;}
      #yiv339368113 #ygrp-mlmsg select, #yiv339368113 input, #yiv339368113 textarea {font:99%
      arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif;}
      #yiv339368113 #ygrp-mlmsg pre, #yiv339368113 code {font:115% monospace;}
      #yiv339368113 #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
      #yiv339368113 #ygrp-text{
      font-family:Georgia;
      }
      #yiv339368113 #ygrp-text p{
      margin:0 0 1em 0;}
      #yiv339368113 #ygrp-tpmsgs{
      font-family:Arial;
      clear:both;}
      #yiv339368113 #ygrp-vitnav{
      #yiv339368113 #ygrp-vitnav a{
      padding:0 1px;}
      #yiv339368113 #ygrp-actbar{
      #yiv339368113 #ygrp-actbar .left{
      float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
      #yiv339368113 .bld{font-weight:bold;}
      #yiv339368113 #ygrp-grft{
      #yiv339368113 #ygrp-ft{
      padding:5px 0;
      }
      #yiv339368113 #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
      padding-bottom:10px;}

      #yiv339368113 #ygrp-reco {
      margin-bottom:20px;padding:0px;}
      #yiv339368113 #ygrp-reco #reco-head {
      font-weight:bold;color:#ff7900;}

      #yiv339368113 #reco-grpname{
      font-weight:bold;margin-top:10px;}
      #yiv339368113 #reco-category{
      font-size:77%;}
      #yiv339368113 #reco-desc{
      font-size:77%;}

      #yiv339368113 #ygrp-vital{
      #yiv339368113 #ygrp-vital #vithd{
      #yiv339368113 #ygrp-vital ul{
      padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
      #yiv339368113 #ygrp-vital ul li{
      }
      #yiv339368113 #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
      #yiv339368113 #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
      font-weight:bold;}
      #yiv339368113 #ygrp-vital a{
      text-decoration:none;}

      #yiv339368113 #ygrp-vital a:hover{
      text-decoration:underline;}

      #yiv339368113 #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
      color:#999;font-size:77%;}
      #yiv339368113 #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
      #yiv339368113 #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
      padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
      #yiv339368113 #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
      #yiv339368113 #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
      text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
      #yiv339368113 #ygrp-sponsor #nc{
      #yiv339368113 #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
      padding:8px 0;}
      #yiv339368113 #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
      #yiv339368113 #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
      text-decoration:none;}
      #yiv339368113 #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
      text-decoration:underline;}
      #yiv339368113 #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
      margin:0;}
      #yiv339368113 o{font-size:0;}
      #yiv339368113 .MsoNormal{
      margin:0 0 0 0;}
      #yiv339368113 #ygrp-text tt{
      font-size:120%;}
      #yiv339368113 blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
      #yiv339368113 .replbq{margin:4;}
      -->
      <!--~-|**|PrettyHtmlEnd|**|-~-->