Re: Scratch anyone?

  • Kelechi
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 19, 2009
      Hello ,
      This sounds interesting (, I'm really interested in seeing how this
      will work for my kids at Fantsuam Foundation.

      how do I get more information about Scratch

      Cheers.

      Kelechi Micheals
      Fantsuam Foundation
      Kafanchan
      Nigeria
      +234-8020918229

      --- In learningfromeachother@yahoogroups.com, baghevli2@... wrote:

      > Ron et al,
      > I met Andrius at an OLPC conference at MIT. I am very interested in
      developing a
      > complete set of games and activities in Scratch with strong
      > mathematical/Scientefic content for K-8 (I was meeting with Scratch
      people at
      > MIT to discuss the same.). I would be willing to bring this to your
      School
      > District. I have developed already some 20 games and activities in
      Scratch and
      > have formed small network of developers and teachers working on this
      goal. I
      > also speak French and could work with your district to develop
      multilingual
      > activities.
      > Best Regards
      > Behrouz Aghevli
      > DrSuper in Scratch
      > P.S. If you have not heard from scratch this is a short intro I
      wrote up to
      > present at a Regional National Conference of Teachers of Mathematics
      (and got
      > rejected;=<)
      >
      > Scratch your way to using, adapting and creating powerful tools for
      teaching and
      > learning mathematics.
      >
      > Scratch is a free and simple programming language from MIT Media Lab
      enabling
      > teachers & students to create their own interactive web math activities,
      > animations, games, etc. Virtual versions of the most popular
      manipulative
      > programs: are already created in Scratch and can be used, enhanced
      by your
      > class.
      >
      > Encourage and excite the educator & teachers to become members of
      the Scratch
      > community as users and developers.
      > Show how easily the activities created in Scratch can be used or
      enhanced.
      > Demonstrate how easily educators, teachers and students with no
      programming
      > background can become Scratch developers.
      > Show Scratch Forum as an ideal community for developing and
      sharing web based
      > math & science activities & games.
      > Provide a history of programming languages for development of
      math activities
      > and games on the web and to demonstrate what distinguishes
      Scratch from

      <minciu_sodas_en@yahoogroups.com>,
      > er@yahoogroups.com
      "Learningfromeachother@yahoogroups.com
      > "

      <learningfromeachother@yahoogroups.com
      > 01/18/2009 09:01 PM >

      cc

      <holistichelping@yahoogroups.com>,
      <globalvillages@yahoogroups.com>,
      <livingbytruth@yahoogroups.com>
      > er@yahoogroups.com
      Subject
      > RE: {?POURRIEL-SPAM?}

      > [learningfromeachother] Pam
      looking
      > ahead for 2009 and Notes
      for a
      > Worknets Charter

      > Hello,

      > Thank you for the invitation and look forward to hearing and
      sharing viewpoints on
      > education and in particular, the role that ICT can play. In our
      School District,
      > we remain one of the very few public school districts in North
      America that has
      > maintained a 1:1 wireless laptop deployment for all of our students
      from Grades
      > 3-11. We began our initiative in 2003 and have acquired over six
      years of
      > pertinent experience, especially in the domain of change and ICT
      effective
      > integration.

      > In the province of Quebec, a socio-constructivist approach has been
      implemented in
      > all primary and secondary schools. We remain an island surrounded
      by simple
      > standards based education systems.

      > The result of our Enhanced Learning Strategy (ELS) with laptops has
      been profound
      > and significant. Our academic results are up, our student
      motivation is up, our
      > dropout rates are down, our community involvement is up and
      increasing. We are,
      > however, a kept secret since our government refuses to acknowledge
      the work of our
      > teachers and students, for fear that our success spreads to other
      districts. The
      > notion of "Local Design" and "Governance" is very prevalent, which
      sadly makes
      > leadership in education a less-than-sought commodity.

      > I look forward to future exchanges and invite the group members to
      our website
      > www:etsb.qc.ca

      > Sincerely,

      > Ron Canuel

      > Director General

      > Eastern Townships School Board

      > Ron Canuel

      > Director General

      > Eastern Townships School Board

      McLean
      > Sent: Sun 1/18/2009 11:08 AM

      > To: minciu_sodas_en@yahoogroups.com;
      Learningfromeachother@yahoogroups.com
      > Cc: holistichelping@yahoogroups.com;
      globalvillages@yahoogroups.com;
      > livingbytruth@yahoogroups.com

      > Subject: {?POURRIEL-SPAM?} [learningfromeachother] Pam looking
      ahead for 2009 and
      > Notes for a Worknets Charter

      > Hi Andrius and everyone.

      > First, my apologies to you if I am seeming to neglect our shared
      interests
      > at present. Please continue to have patience with me. David Mutua,

      > congratulations to you and your wife on your traditional marriage!
      Ken I am
      > sorry we have not managed to continue our interrupted Skype chat,
      Fola I am
> [...]

      the list
      > should go on - instead I will just say, everyone, I wish you well
      for 2009
      > and look forward to learning and collaborating effectivley
      together.

      > I am starting 2009 by reflecting on what I have been doing over the
      past 8
      > years. I am considering my priorities in response to what I have
      learned. I
      > am re-organising my physical spaces and virtual spaces so that I
      can live,
      > work, learn, connect and collaborate more effectively.

      > I hope that as my re-organisation continues and starts bearing
      visible
      > fruit it will benefit everyone I connect with.

      > I (and others "who share my physical spaces") are already seeing
      the
      > benefit, regarding better use of the physical spaces I use. I hope
      similar
      > benefits will become real online as well, before too long.

      > I did some online tidying up before Christmas, by starting to
      collect up
      > various pieces of information on my blog

      > http://learnbydoinguk.blogspot.com/. If you have time to explore
      the
      > list of links

      > http://learnbydoinguk.blogspot.com/2008/12/useful-links.html, on
      the RHS of
      > the front page, you will get an opportunity to check out
      information about
      > some of the people, places and projects that I was connecting with
      at the
      > end of last year. This blog archive collection is a first step
      towards
      > collecting information in one place ready to feed into a proper
      online
      > presence (and content management system) for Dadamac/me. I hope to
      gradually
      > bring together various initiatives, information sources, contacts,
      ideas,
      > ongoing project work, etc, in a way that serves various needs -
      useful for
      > me, and the Dadamac team, and also easy to share with others. I
      hope it will
      > bring together various things - the things from the past (things
      that I have
      > left scattered around the Internet over the years), the things I am
      involved
      > with now, and the things I am hoping to be involved in in future.

      > There is still much to do, before my online friends and contacts
      will see
      > any useful results. However I have been thinking about this online

      > re-organisation for a long time, and now I am being helped to do it
      in
      > practice, so I hope to have something useful to show well before
      the end of
      > 2009. Meanwhile, I may continue to be less in eveidence online than
      I used
      > to be.

      > Andrius - Ref your email Notes for a Worknets Charter

      > These notes are very helpful - my first mpression is that your
      definintion
      > of an independent thinker is very similar to the way I might
      describe a self
      > directer learner.

      > Personally I would find it useful - for discussion purposes - if
      the points
      > were numbered for easy reference

      > Hmm - as this a discussion the points may change so the numbering
      system
      > might not last.

      > Maybe if they were at least clustered under numbered headings.....

      > First impressions:

      > Regarding Worknets I'm very happy with:

      > Your Practical Rules.

      > How people benefit

      > By the time you get to the end of

      > The growth of the independent thinker. I feel I need to consider
      more
      > carefully all that you mean.

      > And once you get into:

      > Layers of a culture for independent thinkers. Levels of unity for
      "we" and
      > so on,

      > I feel I need more time to read the rest, and think, and respond,
      and I
      > don't know how long it will be until I can do that. For now I am
      trying to
      > keep my head down, and concetrate on my re-organisation - physical
      and
      > virtual ( and, eek! also get my income tax returns in before the
      month is
      > over.)

      > Warm regards and belated seasons greetings to all my friends and
      contacts

      > From

      > Pam

      > 2009/1/18 Andrius Kulikauskas <ms@...>

      > > Janet, Hi!

      > > I look forward to meeting you tomorrow! We'll arrive in
      Providence at
      > > 9:15 am at the bus station. We're supposed to meet Tiffany at
      10:00 but
      > > maybe she can pick us up earlier? We'll be in touch by phone.

      > > I want to send out my thoughts on a Worknets Charter for a
      culture of
      > > independent thinkers, which might in ten or twenty years have
      100,000
      > > active and 1,000,000 supportive participants. My thought is that
      I author
      > > such a charter so as to express my vision and then to evolve that
      charter
      > > over the years with our help. Here are the parts...

      > > What do we mean by a culture of, by and for independent thinkers?

      > > What is attractive about such a culture?

      > > This charter supports this culture by defining our expectations.

      > > We want everybody to use their own best judgment.

      > > Practical Rules.

      > > * Venues are Public Domain by default.

      > > * Money can bring people together, but you can't pay people to
      care.
      > > * We want all to succeed. Individuals, not groups.

      > > How people benefit

      > > * Moral support

      > > * More minds

      > > * Social framework for making one's dreams real

      > > * Discovering resources for making a living and one's projects

      > > * Personal growth

      > > The growth of the independent thinker.

      > > We allow that everyone is the same, and that everyone grows, so
      it's
      > > natural that we are at various levels of maturity.

      > > We accept each person growing by their own will at their own
      pace.
      > > We grow along with each person who grows.

      > > We support people by fostering their leadership at the stage of
      growth
      > > they identify with:

      > > * Understanding oneself as an independent thinker. What does that
      mean?
      > > Learning to think out loud.

      > > * Learning about oneself by doing projects.

      > > * Integrating oneself, being well rounded, resolving one's
      tensions,
      > > "knowing oneself" by clarifying one's own deepest value. Leading
      > > working group.

      > > * Leading by what we don't know rather than what we know.
      Investigating.
      > > * Wishing for others to challenge us to grow. Inviting others
      likewise.
      > > Checking one's selfish influence with a vantage point (one's God)
      that's

    • baghevli2@worldbank.org
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 19, 2009
        Hello, Hello
        Just go to http://scratch.mit.edu and get a userid and download scratch and
        look around there is plenty of help to get started. I will help you get started
        if you need. If you have OLPC laptops it has Scratch in it. If not you should
        look into getting them maybe through World Bank. The Bank has done little but
        they did one project in Mongolia for a 10,000 OLPC laptops fore $1,000,000.
        Best Regards
        Behrouz
        DrSuper in Scratch

        "Kelechi"
        <kibgaconcepts@gmai
        l.com> To
        Sent by: learningfromeachother@yahoogroups.com
        learningfromeachoth cc
        er@yahoogroups.com
        Subject
        [learningfromeachother] Re: Scratch
        01/19/2009 02:19 PM anyone?

        Please respond to
        learningfromeachoth
        er@yahoogroups.com

> [...]

        manipulative
        > programs: are already created in Scratch and can be used, enhanced
        by your
        > class.
        >
        > Encourage and excite the educator & teachers to become members of
        the Scratch
        > community as users and developers.
        > Show how easily the activities created in Scratch can be used or
        enhanced.
        > Demonstrate how easily educators, teachers and students with no
        programming
        > background can become Scratch developers.
        > Show Scratch Forum as an ideal community for developing and
        sharing web based
        > math & science activities & games.
        > Provide a history of programming languages for development of
        math activities
        > and games on the web and to demonstrate what distinguishes

        Subject
        > RE: {?POURRIEL-SPAM?}

        > [learningfromeachother] Pam
        looking
        > ahead for 2009 and Notes
        for a
        > Worknets Charter

        > Hello,

        > Thank you for the invitation and look forward to hearing and
        sharing viewpoints on
        > education and in particular, the role that ICT can play. In our
        School District,
        > we remain one of the very few public school districts in North
        America that has
        > maintained a 1:1 wireless laptop deployment for all of our students
        from Grades
        > 3-11. We began our initiative in 2003 and have acquired over six
        years of
        > pertinent experience, especially in the domain of change and ICT
        effective
        > integration.

        > In the province of Quebec, a socio-constructivist approach has been
        implemented in
        > all primary and secondary schools. We remain an island surrounded
        by simple
        > standards based education systems.

        > The result of our Enhanced Learning Strategy (ELS) with laptops has
        been profound
        > and significant. Our academic results are up, our student
        motivation is up, our
        > dropout rates are down, our community involvement is up and
        increasing. We are,
        > however, a kept secret since our government refuses to acknowledge
        the work of our
        > teachers and students, for fear that our success spreads to other
        districts. The
        > notion of "Local Design" and "Governance" is very prevalent, which
        sadly makes
        > leadership in education a less-than-sought commodity.

        > I look forward to future exchanges and invite the group members to
        our website
        > www:etsb.qc.ca

        > Sincerely,

        > Ron Canuel

        > Director General

        > Eastern Townships School Board

        > Ron Canuel

        > Director General

        > Eastern Townships School Board

      • kayiwa fred
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 19, 2009

          <!--~-|**|PrettyHtmlStartT|**|-~-->
          <!--~-|**|PrettyHtmlEndT|**|-~-->

          I met Andrius at an OLPC conference at MIT. I am very interested in developing a<br>
          complete set of games and activities in Scratch with strong<br>
          mathematical/ Scientefic content for K-8 (I was meeting with Scratch people at<br>
          MIT to discuss the same.). I would be willing to bring this to your School<br>
          District. I have developed already some 20 games and activities in Scratch and<br>
          have formed small network of developers and teachers working on this goal. I<br>
          also speak French and could work with your district to develop multilingual<br>
          activities.<br>
          Best Regards<br>
          Behrouz Aghevli<br>
          DrSuper in Scratch<br>
          P.S. If you have not heard from scratch this is a short intro I wrote up to<br>
          present at a Regional National Conference of Teachers of Mathematics (and got<br>
          rejected;=<)<br>
          Scratch your way to using, adapting and creating powerful tools for teaching and<br>
          learning mathematics.<br>
          Scratch is a free and simple programming language from MIT Media Lab enabling<br>
          teachers & students to create their own interactive web math activities,<br>
          animations, games, etc. Virtual versions of the most popular manipulative<br>
          programs: are already created in Scratch and can be used, enhanced by your<br>
          class.<br>
          Encourage and excite the educator & teachers to become members of the Scratch<br>
          community as users and developers.<br>
          Show how easily the activities created in Scratch can be used or enhanced.<br>
          Demonstrate how easily educators, teachers and students with no programming<br>
          background can become Scratch developers.<br>
          Show Scratch Forum as an ideal community for developing and sharing web based<br>
          math & science activities & games.<br>
          Provide a history of programming languages for development of math activities<br>
          and games on the web and to demonstrate what distinguishes Scratch from<br>
          all the rest.<br>
          "Ron Canuel" <br>
          <<a rel="nofollow" ymailto="mailto:canuelr%40etsb.qc.ca" target="_blank" href="/mc/compose?to=canuelr%40etsb.qc.ca">canuelr@etsb. qc.ca</a> <br>
          > To <br>
          Sent by: <<a rel="nofollow" ymailto="mailto:learningfromeachother%40yahoogroups.com" target="_blank" href="/mc/compose?to=learningfromeachother%40yahoogroups.com">learningfromeachoth er@yahoogroups. com</a> <br>
          learningfromeachoth >, <<a rel="nofollow" ymailto="mailto:minciu_sodas_en%40yahoogroups.com" target="_blank" href="/mc/compose?to=minciu_sodas_en%40yahoogroups.com">minciu_sodas_ en@yahoogroups. com</a>>, <br>
          <a rel="nofollow" ymailto="mailto:er%40yahoogroups.com" target="_blank" href="/mc/compose?to=er%40yahoogroups.com">er@yahoogroups. com</a> "<a rel="nofollow" ymailto="mailto:Learningfromeachother%40yahoogroups.com" target="_blank" href="/mc/compose?to=Learningfromeachother%40yahoogroups.com">Learningfromeachoth er@yahoogroups. com</a> <br>
          " <br>
          <<a rel="nofollow" ymailto="mailto:learningfromeachother%40yahoogroups.com" target="_blank" href="/mc/compose?to=learningfromeachother%40yahoogroups.com">learningfromeachoth er@yahoogroups. com</a> <br>
          01/18/2009 09:01 PM > <br>
          cc <br>
          <<a rel="nofollow" ymailto="mailto:holistichelping%40yahoogroups.com" target="_blank" href="/mc/compose?to=holistichelping%40yahoogroups.com">holistichelping@ yahoogroups. com</a>>, <br>
          Please respond to <<a rel="nofollow" ymailto="mailto:globalvillages%40yahoogroups.com" target="_blank" href="/mc/compose?to=globalvillages%40yahoogroups.com">globalvillages@ yahoogroups. com</a>>, <br>
          learningfromeachoth <<a rel="nofollow" ymailto="mailto:livingbytruth%40yahoogroups.com" target="_blank" href="/mc/compose?to=livingbytruth%40yahoogroups.com">livingbytruth@ yahoogroups. com</a>> <br>
          <a rel="nofollow" ymailto="mailto:er%40yahoogroups.com" target="_blank" href="/mc/compose?to=er%40yahoogroups.com">er@yahoogroups. com</a> Subject <br>
          RE: {?POURRIEL-SPAM? } <br>
          [learningfromeachot her] Pam looking <br>
          ahead for 2009 and Notes for a <br>
          Worknets Charter <br>
          Hello, <br>
          Thank you for the invitation and look forward to hearing and sharing viewpoints on <br>
          education and in particular, the role that ICT can play. In our School District, <br>
          we remain one of the very few public school districts in North America that has <br>
          maintained a 1:1 wireless laptop deployment for all of our students from Grades <br>
          3-11. We began our initiative in 2003 and have acquired over six years of <br>
          pertinent experience, especially in the domain of change and ICT effective <br>
          integration. <br>
          In the province of Quebec, a socio-constructivis t approach has been implemented in <br>
          all primary and secondary schools. We remain an island surrounded by simple <br>
          standards based education systems. <br>
          The result of our Enhanced Learning Strategy (ELS) with laptops has been profound <br>
          and significant. Our academic results are up, our student motivation is up, our <br>
          dropout rates are down, our community involvement is up and increasing. We are, <br>
          however, a kept secret since our government refuses to acknowledge the work of our <br>
          teachers and students, for fear that our success spreads to other districts. The <br>
          notion of "Local Design" and "Governance" is very prevalent, which sadly makes <br>
          leadership in education a less-than-sought commodity. <br>
          I look forward to future exchanges and invite the group members to our website <br>
          www:etsb.qc. ca <br>
          Sincerely, <br>
          Ron Canuel <br>
          Director General <br>
          Eastern Townships School Board <br>
          -----Original Message----- <br>
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 20, 2009
            Fred,
            Go to http://scratch.mit.edu or go directly to DrSuper Games and activities at
            http://scratch.mit.edu/users/DrSuper. There are over 600 math activities at all
            levels see http://scratch.mit.edu/galleries/view/6423 (I have just added my
            activities to this gallery. In all there are more than 300,000 projects mostly
            done by kids arount 10-14.
            Regards
            Behrouz
            DrSuper in Scratch

            kayiwa fred
            <fdkayiwa@...
            er@yahoogroups.com globalvillages@yahoogroups.com,
            01/20/2009 12:31 AM livingbytruth@yahoogroups.com,
            minciu_sodas_en@yahoogroups.com
            Subject
            Please respond to Re: [learningfromeachother] Scratch
            learningfromeachoth anyone?
            er@yahoogroups.com

            Thanks  Ron for joining us here<br>earlier Andrius taught us the phonic games and the
            kids i lead were interested <br>i wonder how your games look like and how scratch people
            rgb(16, 16, 255); margin-left: 5px; padding-left: 5px;"><br>From: baghevli2@...
            <baghevli2@...><br>Subject: [learningfromeachother] Scratch anyone?<br>To:
            learningfromeachother@yahoogroups.com<br>Cc: globalvillages@yahoogroups.com,
            holistichelping@yahoogroups.com, learningfromeachother@yahoogroups.com,
            livingbytruth@yahoogroups.com, minciu_sodas_en@yahoogroups.com<br>Date: Monday, January

            <!--~-|**|PrettyHtmlStartT|**|-~-->
            left;">

            From: <a rel="nofollow" ymailto="mailto:learningfromeachother%40yahoogroups.com"
            target="_blank"
            href="/mc/compose?to=learningfromeachother%40yahoogroups.com">learningfromeachoth
            er@yahoogroups. com</a> on behalf of Pamela McLean <br>
            Sent: Sun 1/18/2009 11:08 AM <br>
            To: <a rel="nofollow" ymailto="mailto:minciu_sodas_en%40yahoogroups.com" target="_blank"
            href="/mc/compose?to=minciu_sodas_en%40yahoogroups.com">minciu_sodas_ en@yahoogroups.
            com</a>; <a rel="nofollow" ymailto="mailto:Learningfromeachother%40yahoogroups.com"
            target="_blank"
            href="/mc/compose?to=Learningfromeachother%40yahoogroups.com">Learningfromeachoth
            er@yahoogroups. com</a> <br>
            Cc: <a rel="nofollow" ymailto="mailto:holistichelping%40yahoogroups.com" target="_blank"
            href="/mc/compose?to=holistichelping%40yahoogroups.com">holistichelping@ yahoogroups.
            com</a>; <a rel="nofollow" ymailto="mailto:globalvillages%40yahoogroups.com"
[...]
            From <br>
> [...]
            > is difficult <br>
            > * Worknets is a practical attempt at "the kingdom of heaven" as sketched <br>
            > by Jesus <br>
            > * Worknets Charter is authored by Andrius Kulikauskas as a practical <br>
            > consequence of his quest to know everything and apply that usefully <br>
            > * Worknets is initiated and organized by Minciu Sodas, a base for <br>
            > independent thinkers which Andrius owns and leads <br>
            > * Worknets needs to evolve beyond that as a complete culture with a <br>
            > governance structure that includes all as leaders to the fullness of their <br>
            > ambition <br>
            > * Worknets evolves through our learning in practice how to work together <br>
            > on projects, share resources, organize content, help each other grow. <br>
            > * Worknets Charter is rewritten yearly or more frequently to embrace this <br>

            <!--~-|**|PrettyHtmlStart|**|-~-->
            <!--~-|**|PrettyHtmlEnd|**|-~-->

            <!--~-|**|PrettyHtmlStart|**|-~-->

            <!--