RE: {?POURRIEL-SPAM?} [learningfromeachother] Pam looking ahead for 2009 and Notes for a Worknets Charter

  • Ron Canuel
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 18, 2009
      RE: {?POURRIEL-SPAM?} [learningfromeachother] Pam looking ahead for 2009 and Notes for a Worknets Charter

      Hello,
      Thank you for the invitation and look forward to hearing and sharing viewpoints on education and in particular, the role that ICT can play.  In our School District, we remain one of the very few public school districts in North America that has maintained a 1:1 wireless laptop deployment for all of our students from Grades 3-11.  We began our initiative in 2003 and have acquired over six years of pertinent experience, especially in the domain of change and ICT effective integration.
      In the province of Quebec, a socio-constructivist approach has been implemented in all primary and secondary schools.  We remain an island surrounded by simple standards based education systems.
      The result of our Enhanced Learning Strategy (ELS) with laptops has been profound and significant. Our academic results are up, our student motivation is up, our dropout rates are down, our community involvement is up and increasing.  We are, however, a kept secret since our government refuses to acknowledge the work of our teachers and students, for fear that our success spreads to other districts.  The notion of "Local Design" and "Governance" is very prevalent, which sadly makes leadership in education a less-than-sought commodity.
      I look forward to future exchanges and invite the group members to our website www:etsb.qc.ca
      Sincerely,

      Ron Canuel
      Director General
      Eastern Townships School Board

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 19, 2009
        Ron et al,
        I met Andrius at an OLPC conference at MIT. I am very interested in developing a
        complete set of games and activities in Scratch with strong
        mathematical/Scientefic content for K-8 (I was meeting with Scratch people at
        MIT to discuss the same.). I would be willing to bring this to your School
        District. I have developed already some 20 games and activities in Scratch and
        have formed small network of developers and teachers working on this goal. I
        also speak French and could work with your district to develop multilingual
        activities.
        Best Regards
        Behrouz Aghevli
        DrSuper in Scratch
        P.S. If you have not heard from scratch this is a short intro I wrote up to
        present at a Regional National Conference of Teachers of Mathematics (and got
        rejected;=<)

        Scratch your way to using, adapting and creating powerful tools for teaching and
        learning mathematics.

        Scratch is a free and simple programming language from MIT Media Lab enabling
        teachers & students to create their own interactive web math activities,
        animations, games, etc. Virtual versions of the most popular manipulative
        programs: are already created in Scratch and can be used, enhanced by your
        class.

        Encourage and excite the educator & teachers to become members of the Scratch
        community as users and developers.
        Show how easily the activities created in Scratch can be used or enhanced.
        Demonstrate how easily educators, teachers and students with no programming
        background can become Scratch developers.
        Show Scratch Forum as an ideal community for developing and sharing web based
        math & science activities & games.
        Provide a history of programming languages for development of math activities
        and games on the web and to demonstrate what distinguishes Scratch from
        all the rest.

        "Ron Canuel"
        <canuelr@...
        Sent by: <learningfromeachother@yahoogroups.com
        learningfromeachoth >, <minciu_sodas_en@yahoogroups.com>,
        er@yahoogroups.com "Learningfromeachother@yahoogroups.com
        "
        <learningfromeachother@yahoogroups.com
        01/18/2009 09:01 PM >
        cc
        <holistichelping@yahoogroups.com>,
        Please respond to <globalvillages@yahoogroups.com>,
        learningfromeachoth <livingbytruth@yahoogroups.com>
        er@yahoogroups.com Subject
> [...]

        > lovely endeavors and seeks to learn and merge where possible although that
        > is difficult
        > * Worknets is a practical attempt at "the kingdom of heaven" as sketched
        > by Jesus
        > * Worknets Charter is authored by Andrius Kulikauskas as a practical
        > consequence of his quest to know everything and apply that usefully
        > * Worknets is initiated and organized by Minciu Sodas, a base for
        > independent thinkers which Andrius owns and leads
        > * Worknets needs to evolve beyond that as a complete culture with a
        > governance structure that includes all as leaders to the fullness of their
        > ambition
        > * Worknets evolves through our learning in practice how to work together
        > on projects, share resources, organize content, help each other grow.
        > * Worknets Charter is rewritten yearly or more frequently to embrace this

      • Kelechi
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 19, 2009
          Hello ,
          This sounds interesting (, I'm really interested in seeing how this
          will work for my kids at Fantsuam Foundation.

          how do I get more information about Scratch

          Cheers.

          Kelechi Micheals
          Fantsuam Foundation
          Kafanchan
          Nigeria
          +234-8020918229

          --- In learningfromeachother@yahoogroups.com, baghevli2@... wrote:

> [...]
          manipulative
          > programs: are already created in Scratch and can be used, enhanced
          by your
          > class.
          >
          > Encourage and excite the educator & teachers to become members of
          the Scratch
          > community as users and developers.
          > Show how easily the activities created in Scratch can be used or
          enhanced.
          > Demonstrate how easily educators, teachers and students with no
          programming
          > background can become Scratch developers.
          > Show Scratch Forum as an ideal community for developing and
          sharing web based
          > math & science activities & games.
          > Provide a history of programming languages for development of
          math activities
          > and games on the web and to demonstrate what distinguishes

          Subject
          > RE: {?POURRIEL-SPAM?}

          > [learningfromeachother] Pam
          looking
          > ahead for 2009 and Notes
          for a
          > Worknets Charter

          > Hello,

          > Thank you for the invitation and look forward to hearing and
          sharing viewpoints on
          > education and in particular, the role that ICT can play. In our
          School District,
          > we remain one of the very few public school districts in North
          America that has
          > maintained a 1:1 wireless laptop deployment for all of our students
          from Grades
          > 3-11. We began our initiative in 2003 and have acquired over six
          years of
          > pertinent experience, especially in the domain of change and ICT
          effective
          > integration.

          > In the province of Quebec, a socio-constructivist approach has been
          implemented in
          > all primary and secondary schools. We remain an island surrounded
          by simple
          > standards based education systems.

          > The result of our Enhanced Learning Strategy (ELS) with laptops has
          been profound
          > and significant. Our academic results are up, our student
          motivation is up, our
          > dropout rates are down, our community involvement is up and
          increasing. We are,
          > however, a kept secret since our government refuses to acknowledge
          the work of our
          > teachers and students, for fear that our success spreads to other
          districts. The
          > notion of "Local Design" and "Governance" is very prevalent, which
          sadly makes
          > leadership in education a less-than-sought commodity.

          > I look forward to future exchanges and invite the group members to
          our website
          > www:etsb.qc.ca

          > Sincerely,

          > Ron Canuel

          > Director General

          > Eastern Townships School Board

          > Ron Canuel

          > Director General

          > Eastern Townships School Board

          McLean

        • baghevli2@worldbank.org
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 19, 2009
            Hello, Hello
            Just go to http://scratch.mit.edu and get a userid and download scratch and
            look around there is plenty of help to get started. I will help you get started
            if you need. If you have OLPC laptops it has Scratch in it. If not you should
            look into getting them maybe through World Bank. The Bank has done little but
            they did one project in Mongolia for a 10,000 OLPC laptops fore $1,000,000.
            Best Regards
            Behrouz
            DrSuper in Scratch

            "Kelechi"
            <kibgaconcepts@gmai
            l.com> To
            Sent by: learningfromeachother@yahoogroups.com
            learningfromeachoth cc
            er@yahoogroups.com
            Subject
            [learningfromeachother] Re: Scratch
            01/19/2009 02:19 PM anyone?

            Please respond to
            learningfromeachoth
            er@yahoogroups.com

> [...]

            manipulative
            > programs: are already created in Scratch and can be used, enhanced
            by your
            > class.
            >
            > Encourage and excite the educator & teachers to become members of
            the Scratch
            > community as users and developers.
            > Show how easily the activities created in Scratch can be used or
            enhanced.
            > Demonstrate how easily educators, teachers and students with no
            programming
            > background can become Scratch developers.
            > Show Scratch Forum as an ideal community for developing and
            sharing web based
            > math & science activities & games.
            > Provide a history of programming languages for development of
            math activities
            > and games on the web and to demonstrate what distinguishes

            Subject
            > RE: {?POURRIEL-SPAM?}

            > [learningfromeachother] Pam
            looking
            > ahead for 2009 and Notes
            for a
            > Worknets Charter

            > Hello,

            > Thank you for the invitation and look forward to hearing and
            sharing viewpoints on
            > education and in particular, the role that ICT can play. In our
            School District,
            > we remain one of the very few public school districts in North
            America that has
            > maintained a 1:1 wireless laptop deployment for all of our students
            from Grades
            > 3-11. We began our initiative in 2003 and have acquired over six
            years of
            > pertinent experience, especially in the domain of change and ICT
            effective
            > integration.

            > In the province of Quebec, a socio-constructivist approach has been
            implemented in
            > all primary and secondary schools. We remain an island surrounded
            by simple
            > standards based education systems.

            > The result of our Enhanced Learning Strategy (ELS) with laptops has
            been profound
            > and significant. Our academic results are up, our student
            motivation is up, our
            > dropout rates are down, our community involvement is up and
            increasing. We are,
            > however, a kept secret since our government refuses to acknowledge
            the work of our
            > teachers and students, for fear that our success spreads to other
            districts. The
            > notion of "Local Design" and "Governance" is very prevalent, which
            sadly makes
            > leadership in education a less-than-sought commodity.

            > I look forward to future exchanges and invite the group members to
            our website
            > www:etsb.qc.ca

            > Sincerely,

            > Ron Canuel

            > Director General

            > Eastern Townships School Board

            > Ron Canuel

            > Director General

            > Eastern Townships School Board

          • kayiwa fred
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 19, 2009

              <!--~-|**|PrettyHtmlStartT|**|-~-->
              <!--~-|**|PrettyHtmlEndT|**|-~-->

              I met Andrius at an OLPC conference at MIT. I am very interested in developing a<br>
              complete set of games and activities in Scratch with strong<br>
              mathematical/ Scientefic content for K-8 (I was meeting with Scratch people at<br>
              MIT to discuss the same.). I would be willing to bring this to your School<br>
              District. I have developed already some 20 games and activities in Scratch and<br>
              have formed small network of developers and teachers working on this goal. I<br>
              also speak French and could work with your district to develop multilingual<br>
              activities.<br>
              Best Regards<br>
              Behrouz Aghevli<br>
              DrSuper in Scratch<br>
              P.S. If you have not heard from scratch this is a short intro I wrote up to<br>
              present at a Regional National Conference of Teachers of Mathematics (and got<br>
              rejected;=<)<br>
              Scratch your way to using, adapting and creating powerful tools for teaching and<br>
              learning mathematics.<br>
              Scratch is a free and simple programming language from MIT Media Lab enabling<br>
              teachers & students to create their own interactive web math activities,<br>
              animations, games, etc. Virtual versions of the most popular manipulative<br>
              programs: are already created in Scratch and can be used, enhanced by your<br>
              class.<br>
              Encourage and excite the educator & teachers to become members of the Scratch<br>
              community as users and developers.<br>
              Show how easily the activities created in Scratch can be used or enhanced.<br>
              Demonstrate how easily educators, teachers and students with no programming<br>
              background can become Scratch developers.<br>
              Show Scratch Forum as an ideal community for developing and sharing web based<br>
              math & science activities & games.<br>
              Provide a history of programming languages for development of math activities<br>
              and games on the web and to demonstrate what distinguishes Scratch from<br>
              all the rest.<br>
              "Ron Canuel" <br>
              <<a rel="nofollow" ymailto="mailto:canuelr%40etsb.qc.ca" target="_blank" href="/mc/compose?to=canuelr%40etsb.qc.ca">canuelr@etsb. qc.ca</a> <br>
              > To <br>
              Sent by: <<a rel="nofollow" ymailto="mailto:learningfromeachother%40yahoogroups.com" target="_blank" href="/mc/compose?to=learningfromeachother%40yahoogroups.com">learningfromeachoth er@yahoogroups. com</a> <br>
              learningfromeachoth >, <<a rel="nofollow" ymailto="mailto:minciu_sodas_en%40yahoogroups.com" target="_blank" href="/mc/compose?to=minciu_sodas_en%40yahoogroups.com">minciu_sodas_ en@yahoogroups. com</a>>, <br>
              <a rel="nofollow" ymailto="mailto:er%40yahoogroups.com" target="_blank" href="/mc/compose?to=er%40yahoogroups.com">er@yahoogroups. com</a> "<a rel="nofollow" ymailto="mailto:Learningfromeachother%40yahoogroups.com" target="_blank" href="/mc/compose?to=Learningfromeachother%40yahoogroups.com">Learningfromeachoth er@yahoogroups. com</a> <br>
              " <br>
              <<a rel="nofollow" ymailto="mailto:learningfromeachother%40yahoogroups.com" target="_blank" href="/mc/compose?to=learningfromeachother%40yahoogroups.com">learningfromeachoth er@yahoogroups. com</a> <br>
              01/18/2009 09:01 PM > <br>
              cc <br>
              <<a rel="nofollow" ymailto="mailto:holistichelping%40yahoogroups.com" target="_blank" href="/mc/compose?to=holistichelping%40yahoogroups.com">holistichelping@ yahoogroups. com</a>>, <br>
              Please respond to <<a rel="nofollow" ymailto="mailto:globalvillages%40yahoogroups.com" target="_blank" href="/mc/compose?to=globalvillages%40yahoogroups.com">globalvillages@ yahoogroups. com</a>>, <br>
              learningfromeachoth <<a rel="nofollow" ymailto="mailto:livingbytruth%40yahoogroups.com" target="_blank" href="/mc/compose?to=livingbytruth%40yahoogroups.com">livingbytruth@ yahoogroups. com</a>> <br>
              <a rel="nofollow" ymailto="mailto:er%40yahoogroups.com" target="_blank" href="/mc/compose?to=er%40yahoogroups.com">er@yahoogroups. com</a> Subject <br>
              RE: {?POURRIEL-SPAM? } <br>
              [learningfromeachot her] Pam looking <br>
              ahead for 2009 and Notes for a <br>
              Worknets Charter <br>
              Hello, <br>
              Thank you for the invitation and look forward to hearing and sharing viewpoints on <br>
              education and in particular, the role that ICT can play. In our School District, <br>
              we remain one of the very few public school districts in North America that has <br>
              maintained a 1:1 wireless laptop deployment for all of our students from Grades <br>
              3-11. We began our initiative in 2003 and have acquired over six years of <br>
              pertinent experience, especially in the domain of change and ICT effective <br>
              integration. <br>
              In the province of Quebec, a socio-constructivis t approach has been implemented in <br>
              all primary and secondary schools. We remain an island surrounded by simple <br>
              standards based education systems. <br>
              The result of our Enhanced Learning Strategy (ELS) with laptops has been profound <br>
              and significant. Our academic results are up, our student motivation is up, our <br>
              dropout rates are down, our community involvement is up and increasing. We are, <br>
              however, a kept secret since our government refuses to acknowledge the work of our <br>
              teachers and students, for fear that our success spreads to other districts. The <br>
              notion of "Local Design" and "Governance" is very prevalent, which sadly makes <br>
              leadership in education a less-than-sought commodity. <br>
              I look forward to future exchanges and invite the group members to our website <br>
              www:etsb.qc. ca <br>
              Sincerely, <br>
              Ron Canuel <br>
              Director General <br>
              Eastern Townships School Board <br>
              -----Original Message----- <br>
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 20, 2009
                Fred,
                Go to http://scratch.mit.edu or go directly to DrSuper Games and activities at
                http://scratch.mit.edu/users/DrSuper. There are over 600 math activities at all
                levels see http://scratch.mit.edu/galleries/view/6423 (I have just added my
                activities to this gallery. In all there are more than 300,000 projects mostly
                done by kids arount 10-14.
                Regards
                Behrouz
                DrSuper in Scratch

                kayiwa fred
                <fdkayiwa@...
                er@yahoogroups.com globalvillages@yahoogroups.com,
                01/20/2009 12:31 AM livingbytruth@yahoogroups.com,
                minciu_sodas_en@yahoogroups.com
                Subject
                Please respond to Re: [learningfromeachother] Scratch
                learningfromeachoth anyone?
                er@yahoogroups.com

                Thanks  Ron for joining us here<br>earlier Andrius taught us the phonic games and the
                kids i lead were interested <br>i wonder how your games look like and how scratch people
                rgb(16, 16, 255); margin-left: 5px; padding-left: 5px;"><br>From: baghevli2@...
                <baghevli2@...><br>Subject: [learningfromeachother] Scratch anyone?<br>To:
                learningfromeachother@yahoogroups.com<br>Cc: globalvillages@yahoogroups.com,
                holistichelping@yahoogroups.com, learningfromeachother@yahoogroups.com,
                livingbytruth@yahoogroups.com, minciu_sodas_en@yahoogroups.com<br>Date: Monday, January

                <!--~-|**|PrettyHtmlStartT|**|-~-->
                left;">

                From: <a rel="nofollow" ymailto="mailto:learningfromeachother%40yahoogroups.com"
                target="_blank"
                href="/mc/compose?to=learningfromeachother%40yahoogroups.com">learningfromeachoth
                er@yahoogroups. com</a> on behalf of Pamela McLean <br>
                Sent: Sun 1/18/2009 11:08 AM <br>
                To: <a rel="nofollow" ymailto="mailto:minciu_sodas_en%40yahoogroups.com" target="_blank"
                href="/mc/compose?to=minciu_sodas_en%40yahoogroups.com">minciu_sodas_ en@yahoogroups.
                com</a>; <a rel="nofollow" ymailto="mailto:Learningfromeachother%40yahoogroups.com"
                target="_blank"
                href="/mc/compose?to=Learningfromeachother%40yahoogroups.com">Learningfromeachoth
                er@yahoogroups. com</a> <br>
                Cc: <a rel="nofollow" ymailto="mailto:holistichelping%40yahoogroups.com" target="_blank"
                href="/mc/compose?to=holistichelping%40yahoogroups.com">holistichelping@ yahoogroups.
                com</a>; <a rel="nofollow" ymailto="mailto:globalvillages%40yahoogroups.com"
[...]
                From <br>
> [...]
                > is difficult <br>
                > * Worknets is a practical attempt at "the kingdom of heaven" as sketched <br>
                > by Jesus <br>
                > * Worknets Charter is authored by Andrius Kulikauskas as a practical <br>
                > consequence of his quest to know everything and apply that usefully <br>
                > * Worknets is initiated and organized by Minciu Sodas, a base for <br>
                > independent thinkers which Andrius owns and leads <br>
                > * Worknets needs to evolve beyond that as a complete culture with a <br>
                > governance structure that includes all as leaders to the fullness of their <br>
                > ambition <br>
                > * Worknets evolves through our learning in practice how to work together <br>
                > on projects, share resources, organize content, help each other grow. <br>
                > * Worknets Charter is rewritten yearly or more frequently to embrace this <br>

                <!--~-|**|PrettyHtmlStart|**|-~-->
                <!--~-|**|PrettyHtmlEnd|**|-~-->

                <!--~-|**|PrettyHtmlStart|**|-~-->

                <!--