RE: {?POURRIEL-SPAM?} [learningfromeachother] Pam looking ahead for 2009 and Notes for a Worknets Charter

  • Ron Canuel
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 18, 2009
      RE: {?POURRIEL-SPAM?} [learningfromeachother] Pam looking ahead for 2009 and Notes for a Worknets Charter

      Ron Canuel
      Director General
      Eastern Townships School Board

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 18, 2009
        RE: {?POURRIEL-SPAM?} [learningfromeachother] Pam looking ahead for 2009 and Notes for a Worknets Charter

        Hello,
        Thank you for the invitation and look forward to hearing and sharing viewpoints on education and in particular, the role that ICT can play.  In our School District, we remain one of the very few public school districts in North America that has maintained a 1:1 wireless laptop deployment for all of our students from Grades 3-11.  We began our initiative in 2003 and have acquired over six years of pertinent experience, especially in the domain of change and ICT effective integration.
        In the province of Quebec, a socio-constructivist approach has been implemented in all primary and secondary schools.  We remain an island surrounded by simple standards based education systems.
        The result of our Enhanced Learning Strategy (ELS) with laptops has been profound and significant. Our academic results are up, our student motivation is up, our dropout rates are down, our community involvement is up and increasing.  We are, however, a kept secret since our government refuses to acknowledge the work of our teachers and students, for fear that our success spreads to other districts.  The notion of "Local Design" and "Governance" is very prevalent, which sadly makes leadership in education a less-than-sought commodity.
        I look forward to future exchanges and invite the group members to our website www:etsb.qc.ca
        Sincerely,

      • baghevli2@worldbank.org
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 19, 2009
          Ron et al,
          I met Andrius at an OLPC conference at MIT. I am very interested in developing a
          complete set of games and activities in Scratch with strong
          mathematical/Scientefic content for K-8 (I was meeting with Scratch people at
          MIT to discuss the same.). I would be willing to bring this to your School
          District. I have developed already some 20 games and activities in Scratch and
          have formed small network of developers and teachers working on this goal. I
          also speak French and could work with your district to develop multilingual
          activities.
          Best Regards
          Behrouz Aghevli
          DrSuper in Scratch
          P.S. If you have not heard from scratch this is a short intro I wrote up to
          present at a Regional National Conference of Teachers of Mathematics (and got
          rejected;=<)

          Scratch your way to using, adapting and creating powerful tools for teaching and
          learning mathematics.

          Scratch is a free and simple programming language from MIT Media Lab enabling
          teachers & students to create their own interactive web math activities,
          animations, games, etc. Virtual versions of the most popular manipulative
          programs: are already created in Scratch and can be used, enhanced by your
          class.

          Encourage and excite the educator & teachers to become members of the Scratch
          community as users and developers.
          Show how easily the activities created in Scratch can be used or enhanced.
          Demonstrate how easily educators, teachers and students with no programming
          background can become Scratch developers.
          Show Scratch Forum as an ideal community for developing and sharing web based
          math & science activities & games.
          Provide a history of programming languages for development of math activities
          and games on the web and to demonstrate what distinguishes Scratch from
          all the rest.

          "Ron Canuel"
          <canuelr@...
          Sent by: <learningfromeachother@yahoogroups.com
          learningfromeachoth >, <minciu_sodas_en@yahoogroups.com>,
          er@yahoogroups.com "Learningfromeachother@yahoogroups.com
          "
          <learningfromeachother@yahoogroups.com
          01/18/2009 09:01 PM >
          cc
          <holistichelping@yahoogroups.com>,
          Please respond to <globalvillages@yahoogroups.com>,
          learningfromeachoth <livingbytruth@yahoogroups.com>
          er@yahoogroups.com Subject
> [...]

          > lovely endeavors and seeks to learn and merge where possible although that
          > is difficult
          > * Worknets is a practical attempt at "the kingdom of heaven" as sketched
          > by Jesus
          > * Worknets Charter is authored by Andrius Kulikauskas as a practical
          > consequence of his quest to know everything and apply that usefully
          > * Worknets is initiated and organized by Minciu Sodas, a base for
          > independent thinkers which Andrius owns and leads
          > * Worknets needs to evolve beyond that as a complete culture with a
          > governance structure that includes all as leaders to the fullness of their
          > ambition
          > * Worknets evolves through our learning in practice how to work together
          > on projects, share resources, organize content, help each other grow.
          > * Worknets Charter is rewritten yearly or more frequently to embrace this

        • Kelechi
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 19, 2009
            Hello ,
            This sounds interesting (, I'm really interested in seeing how this
            will work for my kids at Fantsuam Foundation.

            how do I get more information about Scratch

            Cheers.

            Kelechi Micheals
            Fantsuam Foundation
            Kafanchan
            Nigeria
            +234-8020918229

            --- In learningfromeachother@yahoogroups.com, baghevli2@... wrote:

> [...]
            manipulative
            > programs: are already created in Scratch and can be used, enhanced
            by your
            > class.
            >
            > Encourage and excite the educator & teachers to become members of
            the Scratch
            > community as users and developers.
            > Show how easily the activities created in Scratch can be used or
            enhanced.
            > Demonstrate how easily educators, teachers and students with no
            programming
            > background can become Scratch developers.
            > Show Scratch Forum as an ideal community for developing and
            sharing web based
            > math & science activities & games.
            > Provide a history of programming languages for development of
            math activities
            > and games on the web and to demonstrate what distinguishes

            Subject
            > RE: {?POURRIEL-SPAM?}

            > [learningfromeachother] Pam
            looking
            > ahead for 2009 and Notes
            for a
            > Worknets Charter

            > Hello,

            > Thank you for the invitation and look forward to hearing and
            sharing viewpoints on
            > education and in particular, the role that ICT can play. In our
            School District,
            > we remain one of the very few public school districts in North
            America that has
            > maintained a 1:1 wireless laptop deployment for all of our students
            from Grades
            > 3-11. We began our initiative in 2003 and have acquired over six
            years of
            > pertinent experience, especially in the domain of change and ICT
            effective
            > integration.

            > In the province of Quebec, a socio-constructivist approach has been
            implemented in
            > all primary and secondary schools. We remain an island surrounded
            by simple
            > standards based education systems.

            > The result of our Enhanced Learning Strategy (ELS) with laptops has
            been profound
            > and significant. Our academic results are up, our student
            motivation is up, our
            > dropout rates are down, our community involvement is up and
            increasing. We are,
            > however, a kept secret since our government refuses to acknowledge
            the work of our
            > teachers and students, for fear that our success spreads to other
            districts. The
            > notion of "Local Design" and "Governance" is very prevalent, which
            sadly makes
            > leadership in education a less-than-sought commodity.

            > I look forward to future exchanges and invite the group members to
            our website
            > www:etsb.qc.ca

            > Sincerely,

            > Ron Canuel

            > Director General

            > Eastern Townships School Board

            > Ron Canuel

            > Director General

            > Eastern Townships School Board

            McLean

          • baghevli2@worldbank.org
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 19, 2009
              Hello, Hello
              Just go to http://scratch.mit.edu and get a userid and download scratch and
              look around there is plenty of help to get started. I will help you get started
              if you need. If you have OLPC laptops it has Scratch in it. If not you should
              look into getting them maybe through World Bank. The Bank has done little but
              they did one project in Mongolia for a 10,000 OLPC laptops fore $1,000,000.
              Best Regards
              Behrouz
              DrSuper in Scratch

              "Kelechi"
              <kibgaconcepts@gmai
              l.com> To
              Sent by: learningfromeachother@yahoogroups.com
              learningfromeachoth cc
              er@yahoogroups.com
              Subject
              [learningfromeachother] Re: Scratch
              01/19/2009 02:19 PM anyone?

              Please respond to
              learningfromeachoth
              er@yahoogroups.com

> [...]

              manipulative
              > programs: are already created in Scratch and can be used, enhanced
              by your
              > class.
              >
              > Encourage and excite the educator & teachers to become members of
              the Scratch
              > community as users and developers.
              > Show how easily the activities created in Scratch can be used or
              enhanced.
              > Demonstrate how easily educators, teachers and students with no
              programming
              > background can become Scratch developers.
              > Show Scratch Forum as an ideal community for developing and
              sharing web based
              > math & science activities & games.
              > Provide a history of programming languages for development of
              math activities
              > and games on the web and to demonstrate what distinguishes

              Subject
              > RE: {?POURRIEL-SPAM?}

              > [learningfromeachother] Pam
              looking
              > ahead for 2009 and Notes
              for a
              > Worknets Charter

              > Hello,

              > Thank you for the invitation and look forward to hearing and
              sharing viewpoints on
              > education and in particular, the role that ICT can play. In our
              School District,
              > we remain one of the very few public school districts in North
              America that has
              > maintained a 1:1 wireless laptop deployment for all of our students
              from Grades
              > 3-11. We began our initiative in 2003 and have acquired over six
              years of
              > pertinent experience, especially in the domain of change and ICT
              effective
              > integration.

              > In the province of Quebec, a socio-constructivist approach has been
              implemented in
              > all primary and secondary schools. We remain an island surrounded
              by simple
              > standards based education systems.

              > The result of our Enhanced Learning Strategy (ELS) with laptops has
              been profound
              > and significant. Our academic results are up, our student
              motivation is up, our
              > dropout rates are down, our community involvement is up and
              increasing. We are,
              > however, a kept secret since our government refuses to acknowledge
              the work of our
              > teachers and students, for fear that our success spreads to other
              districts. The
              > notion of "Local Design" and "Governance" is very prevalent, which
              sadly makes
              > leadership in education a less-than-sought commodity.

              > I look forward to future exchanges and invite the group members to
              our website
              > www:etsb.qc.ca

              > Sincerely,

              > Ron Canuel

              > Director General

              > Eastern Townships School Board

              > Ron Canuel

              > Director General

              > Eastern Townships School Board

            • kayiwa fred
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 19, 2009

                <!--~-|**|PrettyHtmlStartT|**|-~-->
                <!--~-|**|PrettyHtmlEndT|**|-~-->

                I met Andrius at an OLPC conference at MIT. I am very interested in developing a<br>
                complete set of games and activities in Scratch with strong<br>
                mathematical/ Scientefic content for K-8 (I was meeting with Scratch people at<br>
                MIT to discuss the same.). I would be willing to bring this to your School<br>
                District. I have developed already some 20 games and activities in Scratch and<br>
                have formed small network of developers and teachers working on this goal. I<br>
                also speak French and could work with your district to develop multilingual<br>
                activities.<br>
                Best Regards<br>
                Behrouz Aghevli<br>
                DrSuper in Scratch<br>
                P.S. If you have not heard from scratch this is a short intro I wrote up to<br>
                present at a Regional National Conference of Teachers of Mathematics (and got<br>
                rejected;=<)<br>
                Scratch your way to using, adapting and creating powerful tools for teaching and<br>
                learning mathematics.<br>
                Scratch is a free and simple programming language from MIT Media Lab enabling<br>
                teachers & students to create their own interactive web math activities,<br>
                animations, games, etc. Virtual versions of the most popular manipulative<br>
                programs: are already created in Scratch and can be used, enhanced by your<br>
                class.<br>
                Encourage and excite the educator & teachers to become members of the Scratch<br>
                community as users and developers.<br>
                Show how easily the activities created in Scratch can be used or enhanced.<br>
                Demonstrate how easily educators, teachers and students with no programming<br>
                background can become Scratch developers.<br>
                Show Scratch Forum as an ideal community for developing and sharing web based<br>
                math & science activities & games.<br>
                Provide a history of programming languages for development of math activities<br>
                and games on the web and to demonstrate what distinguishes Scratch from<br>
                all the rest.<br>
                "Ron Canuel" <br>
                <<a rel="nofollow" ymailto="mailto:canuelr%40etsb.qc.ca" target="_blank" href="/mc/compose?to=canuelr%40etsb.qc.ca">canuelr@etsb. qc.ca</a> <br>
                > To <br>
                Sent by: <<a rel="nofollow" ymailto="mailto:learningfromeachother%40yahoogroups.com" target="_blank" href="/mc/compose?to=learningfromeachother%40yahoogroups.com">learningfromeachoth er@yahoogroups. com</a> <br>
                learningfromeachoth >, <<a rel="nofollow" ymailto="mailto:minciu_sodas_en%40yahoogroups.com" target="_blank" href="/mc/compose?to=minciu_sodas_en%40yahoogroups.com">minciu_sodas_ en@yahoogroups. com</a>>, <br>
                <a rel="nofollow" ymailto="mailto:er%40yahoogroups.com" target="_blank" href="/mc/compose?to=er%40yahoogroups.com">er@yahoogroups. com</a> "<a rel="nofollow" ymailto="mailto:Learningfromeachother%40yahoogroups.com" target="_blank" href="/mc/compose?to=Learningfromeachother%40yahoogroups.com">Learningfromeachoth er@yahoogroups. com</a> <br>
                " <br>
                <<a rel="nofollow" ymailto="mailto:learningfromeachother%40yahoogroups.com" target="_blank" href="/mc/compose?to=learningfromeachother%40yahoogroups.com">learningfromeachoth er@yahoogroups. com</a> <br>
                01/18/2009 09:01 PM > <br>
                cc <br>
                <<a rel="nofollow" ymailto="mailto:holistichelping%40yahoogroups.com" target="_blank" href="/mc/compose?to=holistichelping%40yahoogroups.com">holistichelping@ yahoogroups. com</a>>, <br>
                Please respond to <<a rel="nofollow" ymailto="mailto:globalvillages%40yahoogroups.com" target="_blank" href="/mc/compose?to=globalvillages%40yahoogroups.com">globalvillages@ yahoogroups. com</a>>, <br>
                learningfromeachoth <<a rel="nofollow" ymailto="mailto:livingbytruth%40yahoogroups.com" target="_blank" href="/mc/compose?to=livingbytruth%40yahoogroups.com">livingbytruth@ yahoogroups. com</a>> <br>
                <a rel="nofollow" ymailto="mailto:er%40yahoogroups.com" target="_blank" href="/mc/compose?to=er%40yahoogroups.com">er@yahoogroups. com</a> Subject <br>
                RE: {?POURRIEL-SPAM? } <br>
                [learningfromeachot her] Pam looking <br>
                ahead for 2009 and Notes for a <br>
                Worknets Charter <br>
                Hello, <br>
                Thank you for the invitation and look forward to hearing and sharing viewpoints on <br>
                education and in particular, the role that ICT can play. In our School District, <br>
                we remain one of the very few public school districts in North America that has <br>
                maintained a 1:1 wireless laptop deployment for all of our students from Grades <br>
                3-11. We began our initiative in 2003 and have acquired over six years of <br>
                pertinent experience, especially in the domain of change and ICT effective <br>
                integration. <br>
                In the province of Quebec, a socio-constructivis t approach has been implemented in <br>
                all primary and secondary schools. We remain an island surrounded by simple <br>
                standards based education systems. <br>
                The result of our Enhanced Learning Strategy (ELS) with laptops has been profound <br>
                and significant. Our academic results are up, our student motivation is up, our <br>
                dropout rates are down, our community involvement is up and increasing. We are, <br>
                however, a kept secret since our government refuses to acknowledge the work of our <br>
                teachers and students, for fear that our success spreads to other districts. The <br>
                notion of "Local Design" and "Governance" is very prevalent, which sadly makes <br>
                leadership in education a less-than-sought commodity. <br>
                I look forward to future exchanges and invite the group members to our website <br>
                www:etsb.qc. ca <br>
                Sincerely, <br>
                Ron Canuel <br>
                Director General <br>
                Eastern Townships School Board <br>
                -----Original Message----- <br>
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 20, 2009
                  Fred,
                  Go to http://scratch.mit.edu or go directly to DrSuper Games and activities at
                  http://scratch.mit.edu/users/DrSuper. There are over 600 math activities at all
                  levels see http://scratch.mit.edu/galleries/view/6423 (I have just added my
                  activities to this gallery. In all there are more than 300,000 projects mostly
                  done by kids arount 10-14.
                  Regards
                  Behrouz
                  DrSuper in Scratch

                  kayiwa fred
                  <fdkayiwa@...
                  er@yahoogroups.com globalvillages@yahoogroups.com,
                  01/20/2009 12:31 AM livingbytruth@yahoogroups.com,
                  minciu_sodas_en@yahoogroups.com
                  Subject
                  Please respond to Re: [learningfromeachother] Scratch
                  learningfromeachoth anyone?
                  er@yahoogroups.com

                  Thanks  Ron for joining us here<br>earlier Andrius taught us the phonic games and the
                  kids i lead were interested <br>i wonder how your games look like and how scratch people
                  rgb(16, 16, 255); margin-left: 5px; padding-left: 5px;"><br>From: baghevli2@...
                  <baghevli2@...><br>Subject: [learningfromeachother] Scratch anyone?<br>To:
                  learningfromeachother@yahoogroups.com<br>Cc: globalvillages@yahoogroups.com,
                  holistichelping@yahoogroups.com, learningfromeachother@yahoogroups.com,
                  livingbytruth@yahoogroups.com, minciu_sodas_en@yahoogroups.com<br>Date: Monday, January

                  <!--~-|**|PrettyHtmlStartT|**|-~-->
                  left;">

                  From: <a rel="nofollow" ymailto="mailto:learningfromeachother%40yahoogroups.com"
                  target="_blank"
                  href="/mc/compose?to=learningfromeachother%40yahoogroups.com">learningfromeachoth
                  er@yahoogroups. com</a> on behalf of Pamela McLean <br>
                  Sent: Sun 1/18/2009 11:08 AM <br>
                  To: <a rel="nofollow" ymailto="mailto:minciu_sodas_en%40yahoogroups.com" target="_blank"
                  href="/mc/compose?to=minciu_sodas_en%40yahoogroups.com">minciu_sodas_ en@yahoogroups.
                  com</a>; <a rel="nofollow" ymailto="mailto:Learningfromeachother%40yahoogroups.com"
                  target="_blank"
                  href="/mc/compose?to=Learningfromeachother%40yahoogroups.com">Learningfromeachoth
                  er@yahoogroups. com</a> <br>
                  Cc: <a rel="nofollow" ymailto="mailto:holistichelping%40yahoogroups.com" target="_blank"
                  href="/mc/compose?to=holistichelping%40yahoogroups.com">holistichelping@ yahoogroups.
                  com</a>; <a rel="nofollow" ymailto="mailto:globalvillages%40yahoogroups.com"
[...]
                  From <br>
> [...]
                  > is difficult <br>
                  > * Worknets is a practical attempt at "the kingdom of heaven" as sketched <br>
                  > by Jesus <br>
                  > * Worknets Charter is authored by Andrius Kulikauskas as a practical <br>
                  > consequence of his quest to know everything and apply that usefully <br>
                  > * Worknets is initiated and organized by Minciu Sodas, a base for <br>
                  > independent thinkers which Andrius owns and leads <br>
                  > * Worknets needs to evolve beyond that as a complete culture with a <br>
                  > governance structure that includes all as leaders to the fullness of their <br>
                  > ambition <br>
                  > * Worknets evolves through our learning in practice how to work together <br>
                  > on projects, share resources, organize content, help each other grow. <br>
                  > * Worknets Charter is rewritten yearly or more frequently to embrace this <br>

                  <!--~-|**|PrettyHtmlStart|**|-~-->
                  <!--~-|**|PrettyHtmlEnd|**|-~-->

                  <!--~-|**|PrettyHtmlStart|**|-~-->

                  <!--