Pam looking ahead for 2009 and Notes for a Worknets Charter

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 18, 2009
      Hi Andrius and everyone.

      First, my apologies to you if I am seeming to neglect our shared interests at present. Please continue to have patience with me. David Mutua, congratulations to you and your wife on your  traditional marriage! Ken I am sorry we have not managed to continue our interrupted Skype chat, Fola I am still thinking how we best collaborate, Fred, I hope you are feeling better after your accident, Dan I am excited about what you are doing with teachers, Graham and Samwel, we have a lot of catching up to do, the list should go on - instead I will just say, everyone, I wish you well for 2009 and look forward to learning and collaborating effectivley together.

      I am starting 2009 by reflecting on what I have been doing over the past 8 years. I am considering my priorities in response to what I have learned. I am re-organising my physical spaces and virtual spaces so that I can live, work, learn, connect and collaborate more effectively.

      I hope that as my re-organisation continues and starts bearing  visible fruit it will benefit everyone I connect with.

      I (and others "who share my physical spaces") are already seeing the benefit, regarding better use of the physical spaces I use. I hope similar benefits will become real online as well, before too long.

      I did some online tidying up before Christmas, by starting to collect up various pieces of information on my blog http://learnbydoinguk.blogspot.com/ . If you have time to explore the list of links http://learnbydoinguk.blogspot.com/2008/12/useful-links.html, on the RHS of the front page, you will get an opportunity to check out information about some of the people, places and projects that I was connecting with at the end of last year.  This blog archive collection is a  first step towards collecting information in one place ready to feed into a proper online presence (and content management system) for Dadamac/me. I hope to gradually bring together various  initiatives, information sources, contacts, ideas, ongoing project work, etc, in a way that serves various needs - useful for me, and the Dadamac team, and also easy to share with others. I hope it will bring together various things - the things from the past (things that I have left scattered around the Internet over the years), the things I am involved with now, and the things I am hoping to be involved in in future.

      There is still much to do, before my online friends and contacts will see any useful results. However I have been thinking about this online re-organisation for a long time, and now I am being helped to do it in practice, so I hope to have something useful to show well before the end of 2009. Meanwhile, I may continue to be less in eveidence online than I used to be.

      Andrius - Ref your email Notes for a Worknets Charter

      These  notes are very helpful - my first mpression is that your definintion of an independent thinker is very similar to the way I might describe a self directer learner.

      Personally I would find it useful - for discussion purposes  - if the points were numbered for easy reference
      Hmm -  as this a discussion the points may change so the numbering system might not last.
      Maybe if they were at least clustered under numbered headings.....

      First impressions:
       Regarding Worknets I'm very happy with:
      Your Practical Rules.
      How people benefit
      By the time you get to the end of
      The growth of the independent thinker. I feel I need to consider more carefully all that you mean.
      And once you get into:
      Layers of a culture for independent thinkers. Levels of unity for "we" and so on,

       I feel I need more time to read the rest, and think, and respond,  and I don't know how long it will be until I can do that. For now I am trying to keep my head down, and concetrate on my re-organisation - physical and virtual  ( and, eek! also get my income tax returns in before the month is over.)

      Warm regards and belated seasons greetings to all my friends and contacts

      From

      Pam

      2009/1/18 Andrius Kulikauskas <ms@...>

      Janet, Hi!

      I look forward to meeting you tomorrow! We'll arrive in Providence at
      9:15 am at the bus station. We're supposed to meet Tiffany at 10:00 but
      maybe she can pick us up earlier? We'll be in touch by phone.

      I want to send out my thoughts on a Worknets Charter for a culture of
      independent thinkers, which might in ten or twenty years have 100,000
      active and 1,000,000 supportive participants. My thought is that I author
      such a charter so as to express my vision and then to evolve that charter
      over the years with our help. Here are the parts...

      What do we mean by a culture of, by and for independent thinkers?
      What is attractive about such a culture?
      This charter supports this culture by defining our expectations.
      We want everybody to use their own best judgment.

      Practical Rules.
      * Venues are Public Domain by default.
      * Money can bring people together, but you can't pay people to care.
      * We want all to succeed. Individuals, not groups.

      How people benefit
      * Moral support
      * More minds
      * Social framework for making one's dreams real
      * Discovering resources for making a living and one's projects
      * Personal growth

      The growth of the independent thinker.
      We allow that everyone is the same, and that everyone grows, so it's
      natural that we are at various levels of maturity.
      We accept each person growing by their own will at their own pace.
      We grow along with each person who grows.
      We support people by fostering their leadership at the stage of growth
      they identify with:
      * Understanding oneself as an independent thinker. What does that mean?
      Learning to think out loud.
      * Learning about oneself by doing projects.
      * Integrating oneself, being well rounded, resolving one's tensions,
      "knowing oneself" by clarifying one's own deepest value. Leading a
      working group.
      * Leading by what we don't know rather than what we know. Investigating.
      * Wishing for others to challenge us to grow. Inviting others likewise.
      Checking one's selfish influence with a vantage point (one's God) that's
      greater than one's self. Fostering a sensitivity to that vantage point.
      * ...learning to grow and live forever...

      Layers of a culture for independent thinkers. Levels of unity for "we".
      * God - who is alone - as an independent thinker. Accepting that our
      universe is supportive of independent thinking.
      * Independent thinkers -
      * Global village centers
      * Self-learner thematic paths
      * Festivals
      * Interest groups
      * Concords

      Where is God relevant or not?
      * Caring about God is ok
      * Loving one's enemy
      * Checking one's self
      * Reaching out to the hard to reach

      Economic principles
      * Working for free and for pay
      * Meeting each other halfway
      * Being careful with the poor
      * Learning to share

      Showing that one is a member
      * Accepting the charter, adding one's comments and clarifications
      * Posting at one's website the Worknets feeds and/or widgets with our Meet
      with us! Shop with us! Network with us! Chat with us! latest news.

      Evolving governance
      * Worknets is open to all cultures, beliefs, movements, acknowledges
      lovely endeavors and seeks to learn and merge where possible although that
      is difficult
      * Worknets is a practical attempt at "the kingdom of heaven" as sketched
      by Jesus
      * Worknets Charter is authored by Andrius Kulikauskas as a practical
      consequence of his quest to know everything and apply that usefully
      * Worknets is initiated and organized by Minciu Sodas, a base for
      independent thinkers which Andrius owns and leads
      * Worknets needs to evolve beyond that as a complete culture with a
      governance structure that includes all as leaders to the fullness of their
      ambition
      * Worknets evolves through our learning in practice how to work together
      on projects, share resources, organize content, help each other grow.
      * Worknets Charter is rewritten yearly or more frequently to embrace this
      evolution.

    • David mutua
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 19, 2009
        Hi Pam and All,
        Thanks for sharing your 2009 focus with us, i am looking forward to a more activity focused year, in a different  e-mail i will introduce our newest partner in Kangundo and our discussions on how to work together on ICT projects in Kangundo.

        Regards

        David N. Mutua
        Programme Director
        Centre for African Learning and Development (CALD) - Kenya
        Returned VSO Volunteer.
        Independent ICT4D and Education Researcher and Practitioner.
        Tel: +254 720 462 559
        E-mail: davenzainga@... or davenzainga@...