Re: Thank you for your prayers

  • kayiwa fred
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 12, 2009
      Hello, Friends
      Am glad that Today i visted The Doctor and he told me that i dont Need a scan
      although i still felt some headche pain
      However he gave me strong medicine
      and he gave me the medical bill epenses wihch totals to 200.000Ugx About 115$
      which i ahave to pay the hospital in short period
      and am happy that i can now walk, talk well, vist the kids in our academy although i need to rest for a full day or 2[ but i have to look for food]

      Am also happy that God has been there for me that the would in my head is getting covered and healing.

      Howver i dont like the heat lol
      yet here its too hot now no rain, and this makes me feel headche
      but i have to drink too much[not liquor] in order to keep my health up

      From: Janet Feldman <kaippg@earthlink. net>
      To: holistichelping@ yahoogroups. com, nafsiafrikasaana@ yahoogroups. com
      Cc: globalvillages@ yahoogroups. com, earthtreasury@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Sunday, January 11, 2009, 8:11 AM

      Dear Andrius, Ken, Zenonas, and All,

      This sounds like a very exciting project, and I'd love to include ActALIVE
      (www.actalive. org) in it at some point!!

      I have some "intuitive" feedback in the form of suggestions, that is also in
      part based on what I've seen funded, and my own experiences with fundraising
      for KAIPPG. It might be advisable to talk with David Sasaki about your ideas
      too, to see if--for example--personal stipends can be part of a proposal.

      Most if not all of the proposals funded have the strongest component "in
      situ", in the community or communities of those being funded. How would this
      project you envision be disseminated widely in the two communities? I don't
      mean via website and blogging, but in other ways, as so many people--in
      Kenya, at least--cannot access the Internet much. So, how will people
      without much or any ICTs-related access be able to learn, share, and
      participate?

      Blogs that could somehow be translated into audio (podcasts et al) and
      disseminated via radio, mobile phone, and other so-called mass-accessible
      technologies would be good to consider. Since Nafsi has such a strong visual
      component to its work, how will that best be disseminated widely (within
      Kibera/Nairobi and Kenya, as well as in Lithuania)?

      The video bridges are an excellent idea: I wonder if and how that could
      happen within the communities served by Nafsi and the Eiciunai Youth
      Organization?

      Also (and you mentioned this to me in my recent mail abt Actwid K), perhaps
      one or two focal points for the exchanges would be best for now. And what
      would those be? What do these orgs have in common, what are their own
      strengths or missions, and how can these be combined? What can they learn
      from each other, what challenges can they address mutually that will help
      their individual communities, and hopefully both communities?

      Again, this is partly about interaction org to org--and strengthening
      individual and mutual capacities-- but it should also be geared towards how
      to disseminate what they are learning, as quickly as possible, to their
      communities.

      My own suggestion would be to make any personal stipends the very lowest
      amount of money you seek. Not that Ken and Zenonas do not deserve a stipend,
      or even need a stipend to do this work. But that--relative to such a small
      amount of funding--the "outreach" aspects related to communities might not
      be funded adequately.

      If you ask for $5000 for one year, and devote $4000-$4500 of that to
      strengthening the capacities of each and both orgs (to do work in their own
      communities, and to engage in cultural interchange, with the idea of
      applying whatever learning emerges within their own communities as
      well)--this to include the video-bridges, equipment, and
      outreach/knowledge- dissemination to the communities (via radio, blogging,
      podcasts, et al)--and designate $500 to $1000 at the most ($500 each) for
      personal stipends, that might address the "Rising Voices" mission in a more
      effective way.

      In fact, it might be better to find some funding for personal stipends from
      somewhere else completely, or at least supplemental to the minimum amount
      you would put into the grant ($250 each for the two leaders).

      Having said that, other grants might allow you to address all of these
      points in the way you have outlined below. So what I am saying really
      applies to this particular grant, though personal stipends remain a tricky
      issue in most cases. I believe there are some Rockefeller and/or Ford grants
      that specifically focus on individuals for funding.

      I think a joint proposal written by the two orgs might be the best approach
      for this too (two "grassroots" groups), though certainly MS can be listed as
      a partner, since that will be the truth of the matter, and partnerships can
      only strenghten the proposal and the success of the project.

      Thanks to all and best of luck! I look forward to working on these ideas and
      projects too, esp linked to ActALIVE! Janet