Thomas Kalka: Language Commons, Public Private Property

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 26, 2008
      Thomas Kalka, thomas.kalka AT googlemail.com
      Thank you for your ever thoughtful projects, which I share with several
      groups at our Minciu Sodas lab. http://www.ms.lt/news.php
      Who might be interested? and what next steps might we take?
      Andrius Kulikauskas
      ---------------------------------

      Andrius,

      currently I'm working on two projects, which I would like to share with
      you, to share it with appropriate people.

      With greetings from Potsdam,
      Thomas Kalka

      Language Commons

      I would like to create tools, which allow people
      to get a feeling of the different languages spoken on earth.
      One of these tools could be a multi-language book for children,
      which is translated and recorded in any language spoken on earth.
      Translations and recordings will be free available on the internet.

      For a privately run project this is a too big task, so I decided to try to
      create such a tool publicly on the internet, possibly in cooperation
      with other schools around the world, which could collectively use this
      work for similar purposes.

      Most of the people I asked for support like the idea, so
      I do have confidence, that this project will work out well.

      This demands a public domain book, or a copyrighted book
      with freely usable text.

      I am especially looking for books fitting these expectations:
      a) they should be quite short, with a lot of artwork and only little text
      b) it should tell a story which is universally interesting to children
      c) the artwork should tell a big amount of the story

      An ideal sample, I feel, is "The very hungry caterpillar"  by Eric Carle.
      Unfortunately this is a top selling cartoon book for children.
      I have asked permission to use its text, obviously without success.

      Current tasks I am working on
      - invite people to join as translators / speakers
      - invite people to find/create/lisence an appropriate book

      http://languagecommons.org

      Public Private Property

      PPP is investigating the social patterns
      which evolve, when physical goods get supported
      by a convinient infrastructure making them as easy
      publicly view- and searchable as we get used to
      handle virtual goods.

      One of the main problems evolving towards a
      peer economy is the problem of transitivity:
      using money you can "cooperate" with strangers,
      having a common protocoll for transaction.

      PPP is investigating to discover protocolls, which
      make transactions between strangers as easy as using
      money.

      == Our goals ==
      * make it easy to publish physical goods to the web
      * make it easy to find physical goods
      * make it easy to use physical goods as commons not knowing each other
      * support the growth of community through co-using things

      We can not offer solutions to this questions, but
      maybe we can tell stories, to nourish your imagination.

      === Publish ===

      You once registered in a social site (like http://ppid.it).
      You created a personal profile.
      You are supported with ppid-stickers.

      If you want to publish a physical good, you take your mobile
      phone, start the ppp-app, make a picture of the ean barcode of the good, make
      a picture of one of the ppid-stickers and you are done.

      This could get even easier, if RFID gets commonly used.

      === Find ===

      You are already used to find physical goods on the internet.
      Anybody wanting to sell something tries to be easily found.
      But he does not support his competitor to be eaqually easilly
      found.  With PPP goods this is different: there is no competition,
      so the cooperative effort of individuals to publish and make findable
      will be free of this artificial scarcity.

      === CoUse ===

      The owner of a property and the user agree to a
      licence agreement, which can be conveniently combined
      of several PPP-Modules. We are already used to this:
      the Creative-Commons Licenses are made like this.

      Possible interesting Modules are:
      * Transitivity: a user can co-license the usage to a next user,
      diminishing the work to handle the good (it does not have to be brought
      back to the owner). This allows for example physical media like DVDs, CDs
      and Books to travel freely.

      * Keep It In Order: the user agrees to return the good in good order,
      beeing responsible for a repair, if he damages it. To ensure this, the
      user may be asked to join a repair assurance: an association of people,
      managing a community fund, to pay for repairs.

      This kind of sharing of physical goods has already started:
      Networks like Hospitality-Club or Couchsurfing share usage of their
      private rooms, to allow money-less accomodation around the planet.

      === Support Community ===

      The usage of PPP-goods is traceable.
      Goods create pathes of usage, which like minded people can follow, to
      start common endeavours.

      If someone in your neighborhood is using similar tools as you do, she or
      he is a interresting person to talk to, if you have questions or ideas.

      This might be one of the driving forces behind the success of
      [[LibraryThing]]: to get to know people with similar or interesting minds.

      == how to go on ==

      PPP is beeing created with the confidence, that evolution into supportive
      structures und culture has to take place in small steps, which individuals
      can decide to do individually, not depending on bigger structures to
      change.

      If you want to join the free software moovement, you just do it,
      individually, by writing free software, publishing your already written
      software with a free license, or support one of the many projects.

      To investigate into PPP join our discussion
      on http://groups.google.com/group/ppid
      and start publishing things.

      http://publicprivateproperty.org
    • Samwel Kongere
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 26, 2008
        Great Andrius,
        I am putting this information into my private Folders
        to study it.
        I have been searching for ideas to help children and
        be empowered, which i organize twice a year to bring
        children together. In every April and November at the
        health centre organize'
        children's club day' an initiative with health
        personel.
        I was also introduced to creative Commons in 2006
        January at Africa Source II by Heather Turner from
        South Africa.
        I will study this note carefully. Happy new year to
        all!.
        Samwel.

        === message truncated ===

      • Edward Cherlin
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 5, 2009
          On Fri, Dec 26, 2008 at 1:01 PM, Andrius Kulikauskas <ms@...> wrote:
          > Thomas Kalka, thomas.kalka AT googlemail.com
          > Thank you for your ever thoughtful projects, which I share with several
          > groups at our Minciu Sodas lab. http://www.ms.lt/news.php
          > Who might be interested? and what next steps might we take?
          > Andrius Kulikauskas
          > ---------------------------------
          >
          > Andrius,
          >
          > currently I'm working on two projects, which I would like to share with
          > you, to share it with appropriate people.
          >
          > With greetings from Potsdam,
          > Thomas Kalka
          >

          > Language Commons
          >
          > I would like to create tools, which allow people
          > to get a feeling of the different languages spoken on earth.

          See also http://www.i18nguy.com/unicode-example.html, which emphasizes
          the variety of writing systems used around the world by providing the
          names of famous people as we know them in English, and as they would
          write them in their own countries. (I am a contributor.)

          > One of these tools could be a multi-language book for children,
          > which is translated and recorded in any language spoken on earth.
          > Translations and recordings will be free available on the internet.
          >
          > For a privately run project this is a too big task, so I decided to try to
          > create such a tool publicly on the Internet, possibly in cooperation
          > with other schools around the world, which could collectively use this
          > work for similar purposes.

          I suggest that you look at language support for One Laptop Per Child
          at http://dev.laptop.org/translate

          Languages
          Afrikaans, Amharic, Arabic, Armenian, Aymara, Bahasa Indonesia, Bahasa
          Melayu, Basque, Bengali, Bengali (India), Bislama, Bulgarian, Catalan,
          Chinese (China), Chinese (Hong Kong), Chinese (Taiwan), Croatian,
          Czech, Danish, Dari, Dutch, Dzongkha, English, English (South
          African), English (US), Estonian, Filipino, Finnish, French, French
          (Canada), Friulian, Fula, Galician, Georgian, German, Greek, Gujarati,
          Hausa, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Icelandic, Igbo, Italian, Japanese,
          Kannada, Khmer, Kinyarwanda, Korean, Kreyol, Macedonian, Malayalam,
          Maltese, Marathi, Marovo, Mongolian, Nauruan, Nepali, Norwegian,
          Norwegian Bokmål, Papiamento, Papua New Guinea Pidgin (Tok Pisin),
          Pashto, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Portuguese (Brazil), Punjabi,
          Quechua, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Sindhi, Sinhala, Slovak,
          Slovenian, Solomon Islands Pidgin, Sotho, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish,
          Tamil, Telugu, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Urdu, Uyghur, Vietnamese,
          Walloon, Wolof, Yoruba

          We have translators for each of these languages. This site handles
          software localization, but Earth Treasury is starting a multilingual
          digital textbook project, which you would be welcome to join. Our plan
          is to rethink the nature of teaching on the basis of powerful software
          provided on the OLPC XO, and on powerful ideas, as described in
          Mindstorms: Children, Computers, and Powerful Ideas, Seymour Papert.
          http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Creating_textbooks

          Connecting schools around the world is part of the OLPC and Earth
          Treasury missions. I will suggest to teachers that taking part in such
          a project would be good homework for language students everywhere.

          > Most of the people I asked for support like the idea, so
          > I do have confidence, that this project will work out well.
          >
          > This demands a public domain book, or a copyrighted book
          > with freely usable text.

          Creative Commons ccLearn is a partner in the textbook project. FLOSS
          Manuals is also a partner. They GPL their books. Earth Treasury is
          open to CC or GPL licensing. We prefer licenses that guarantee the
          right of reuse of protected materials, and access to source code or
          other original forms of content.

          > I am especially looking for books fitting these expectations:
          > a) they should be quite short, with a lot of artwork and only little text
          > b) it should tell a story which is universally interesting to children
          > c) the artwork should tell a big amount of the story

          See the OLPC XO Library, containing several children's books in
          English, Spanish, Farsi, and other languages, for which we have the
          necessary permissions. http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Library

          > An ideal sample, I feel, is "The very hungry caterpillar" by Eric Carle.
          > Unfortunately this is a top selling cartoon book for children.
          > I have asked permission to use its text, obviously without success.
          >
          > Current tasks I am working on
          > - invite people to join as translators / speakers
          > - invite people to find/create/lisence an appropriate book
          >
          > http://languagecommons.org
          >

          > Public Private Property
          >
          > PPP is investigating the social patterns
          > which evolve, when physical goods get supported
          > by a convenient infrastructure making them as easy
          > publicly view- and searchable as we get used to
          > handle virtual goods.

          I am interested in this, as supported by conventional e-commerce, and
          the sites where anybody can sell, such as eBay, overstock.com,
          shoppin.com, and so on. Earth Treasury intends to create international
          microfinance programs so that any poor people with something
          appropriate to sell from their own cultural base can get IT and
          financial support to sell on the Net.

          I am also interested in economic research on related questions.

          o What is the effect of bringing everybody into existing markets?

          o What is the effect of giving everybody access to the means of
          production of the Information Age?

          o What is the effect of Free/Open Source software in the global economy?

          Most research on the economics of Open Source has focused on the
          production side: Why do people write Open Source software, and are
          there viable business models for Open Source development. The standard
          answer in the Open Source community to the first question is, "To
          scratch their own itches," which means to create software for their
          own use that others may help maintain and improve. The answer to the
          second question is, Yes, there are viable business models in which a
          company creates Open Source software, and makes money in providing
          services such as customization or consulting on how to use it. There
          are also a lot of non-viable proposed business models, so due
          diligence remains a requirement.

          > One of the main problems evolving towards a
          > peer economy is the problem of transitivity:
          > using money you can "cooperate" with strangers,
          > having a common protocol for transaction.
          >
          > PPP is investigating to discover protocols, which
          > make transactions between strangers as easy as using
          > money.

          The Sugar software for the OLPC XO addresses a different part of the
          same problem: how to collaborate effectively in working on the same
          file at the same time. We can do this with writing, drawing, music,
          and games, and we are working out how to do more of it, including
          scientific/engineering/medical data acquisition, mapping, and much
          more.

          > == Our goals ==
          > * make it easy to publish physical goods to the web
          > * make it easy to find physical goods
          > * make it easy to use physical goods as commons not knowing each other
          > * support the growth of community through co-using things
          >
          > We can not offer solutions to this questions, but
          > maybe we can tell stories, to nourish your imagination.

          Where can we tell our stories about this?

          > === Publish ===
          >
          > You once registered in a social site (like http://ppid.it).
          > You created a personal profile.
          > You are supported with ppid-stickers.
          >
          > If you want to publish a physical good, you take your mobile
          > phone, start the ppp-app, make a picture of the ean barcode of the good, make
          > a picture of one of the ppid-stickers and you are done.
          >
          > This could get even easier, if RFID gets commonly used.
          >
          > === Find ===
          >
          > You are already used to find physical goods on the internet.
          > Anybody wanting to sell something tries to be easily found.
          > But he does not support his competitor to be eaqually easilly
          > found. With PPP goods this is different: there is no competition,
          > so the cooperative effort of individuals to publish and make findable
          > will be free of this artificial scarcity.
          >
          > === CoUse ===
          >
          > The owner of a property and the user agree to a
          > licence agreement, which can be conveniently combined
          > of several PPP-Modules. We are already used to this:
          > the Creative-Commons Licenses are made like this.
          >
          > Possible interesting Modules are:
          > * Transitivity: a user can co-license the usage to a next user,
          > diminishing the work to handle the good (it does not have to be brought
          > back to the owner). This allows for example physical media like DVDs, CDs
          > and Books to travel freely.
          >
          > * Keep It In Order: the user agrees to return the good in good order,
          > beeing responsible for a repair, if he damages it. To ensure this, the
          > user may be asked to join a repair assurance: an association of people,
          > managing a community fund, to pay for repairs.
          >
          > This kind of sharing of physical goods has already started:
          > Networks like Hospitality-Club or Couchsurfing share usage of their
          > private rooms, to allow money-less accomodation around the planet.
          >
          > === Support Community ===
          >
          > The usage of PPP-goods is traceable.
          > Goods create paths of usage, which like minded people can follow, to
          > start common endeavours.
          >
          > If someone in your neighborhood is using similar tools as you do, she or
          > he is a interesting person to talk to, if you have questions or ideas.
          >
          > This might be one of the driving forces behind the success of
          > [[LibraryThing]]: to get to know people with similar or interesting minds.

          I use GoodReads.com for this.

          > == how to go on ==
          >
          > PPP is being created with the confidence, that evolution into supportive
          > structures and culture has to take place in small steps, which individuals
          > can decide to do individually, not depending on bigger structures to
          > change.
          >
          > If you want to join the free software movement, you just do it,
          > individually, by writing free software, publishing your already written
          > software with a free license, or support one of the many projects.

          Or testing, or translating, or providing content, or many other possibilities.

          > To investigate into PPP join our discussion
          > on http://groups.google.com/group/ppid
          > and start publishing things.
          >
          > http://publicprivateproperty.org

          And Children are my nation.
        • Ilgar Mirza
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 5, 2009
            Hi Andrius,

            This e-mail little bit mixed, but i understand that You connected with
            One Laptop Per Child project's language support. And i have one
            question about project and may be u can answer.

            In the list of localization languages i cant find Azerbaijani
            language, but our all neighbor countries languages (Armenian,
            Georgian, Russian and Turkish) are included.

            So, it's very Interesting for me, why Azerbaijan is not included into
            this project and what must we do to be part of this project and
            software localization?

            Ilgar Mirza