FW: [Fantsuamsdl] browsing made easy

  • folabi sunday
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 7, 2008
      Subject: [Fantsuamsdl] browsing made easy
      Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2008 20:17:35
      From: folabi sunday <folabisunday@...>
      To: pam54321@... <pam54321@...>
      CC: petrous4me@... <petrous4me@...>,laerningfromeachother@yahoogroups.com <laerningfromeachother@yahoogroups.com>,fantsuamsdl@yahoogroups.com <fantsuamsdl@yahoogroups.com>

      it was an interesting story, i met with a company that introduced me to browsing with my phone for 500naira in 24hrs or 3000# every night(10pm-5am) in a month or 10000# for every hour in the month(24/7) using my MTN line. better still it can still be used to browse on the computer and the phone will serve as a modem. i tried out the daily plan of 500naira yesterday and i browse all day on my phone but iam planning to connect it to a desktop and if it also work all day on the system that bring us to limelight at Dadamac and the Ago-Are centre. i have told pastor about this and he asked to give it a trial. iam a happy man now because i can browse all day spending 500naira only. iam even using it to send this mail now. what do you have to say to this
    • riccccardo
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 7, 2008
        hey guys it sounds great  3.3 €/day = 99 € per month . . .

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 7, 2008
          Fola this is very exciting news. I have also posted it on my blog at
           http://learnbydoinguk.blogspot.com/2008/12/folabi-sunday.html so it will be easy to refer to in future.

          I hope one of the techies will be able to answer your query about the phone.

          If we can get the Information Centre at Ago-Are online then it opens up so many great opportunities. We will be able to work together in so many ways.  We could restart various things that originally started in Ago-Are (such as the very first work with teachers). My focus moved to Fantsuam when David Mutua's time with VSO finished and the IITA two year project took over in Ago-Are. It would be great to forge much stronger links between the Fantsuam work and Ago-Are again - just like we had back in 2003/4 when we (Fantsuam Foundation, Oke-Ogun Community Development Network and Lorraine and I in UK) worked together as "Cawdnet" - the pre-cursor of "Dadamac".

          We will work together to get the Info Centre online. It will be our challenge for 2009!

          Well done, for all your efforts so far.

          Pam

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 7, 2008
            On Sun, Dec 7, 2008 at 12:22 PM, folabi sunday <folabisunday@...> wrote:

> [...]

            As a techie, my first thought is that it is too expensive. Somebody is
            making out like a bandit on this business. We pay much less than that
            for broadband, always-on Internet in the US for our entire family. But
            I know that all Internet access in Nigeria is overpriced, and I assume
            from your enthusiasm that the alternatives cost much more.

            I am looking forward to the activation of the new submarine fiber
            optic cables now being laid down both the East and West coasts of
            Africa, and to the new satellites over the oceans to connect Africa
            with Latin America, Asia, and the Middle East, bypassing Europe.

            http://www.ses-newskies.com/futuresatellites.htm

            http://www.balancingact-africa.com/news/back/balancing-act_414.html
            Race to build a West Coast fibre promises to push international
            bandwidth prices to new lows

            Four international fibre projects are racing to complete ahead of each
            other on the west coast of Africa to give some much needed additional
            capacity and price competition to SAT3. The drop in bandwidth prices
            could be spectacular. Russell Southwood looks at the runners in the
            race and asks whether West Africa is ready for the potentially
            market-changing impact of cheap international bandwidth.

            http://www.balancingact-africa.com/news/back/balancing-act_354.html
            Kenya special: market gets ready for cheaper bandwidth
            http://www.balancingact-africa.com/news/back/balancing-act_332.html
            Kenya begins the countdown to cheap international fibre

            Anybody with an interest in news of communications in Africa should
            read Chifu and Russell Southwood.

            Data Processing Association in the US.

            Southwood's Balancing Act newsletter is available for free at
            http://www.balancingact-africa.com/mailing_list/subscribe.php.
            And Children are my nation.