Re: Minciu Sodas $100 Projects

  • Kennedy Owino
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 5, 2008
      Greetings Andrius , Fred and all,

      Thank you Andrius for your great holistic approaches to the network of independent thinkers and those involved with shaping communities through creative practice and positive participation.
      I am sorry to be late in giving in my response on the $100 Projects, i hope you understand it is not by design.

      Fred, i am inspired by your great initiative, I would wish to join synergies with you towards the same vision we uphold of empowering the street child.
      Please link up with Mr Charles O.Barrack , the chairman and founder of Sports Talent Promotion in Africa (www.sportstalentafrica.com) an organisation based in Kenya.
      Your great work of promoting Youth football in Uganda may capture his attention or be of interest to his Organisation and perhaps initiate some collaboration.

      Andrius, I will take  time to write briefly  about my interests and ideas in regard to the $100 project.
      The  Graham knight solar powered chargers is of real and particular interest to me.
      However, i have not researched enough to know if it may be a viable prospect here in Kibera slums.
      I would like to finish what i started, or what i have been involved with in the forum in the past and was left hanging.
      I would like to stick on my focuss and passion that determines my dream and deepest value.
      I have an idea that i am willing to pursue once i mobilise all the resources necessary and identify willing partners for it.
      I will write the specifics in a detailed posting later.
      My initial concept is creating an open source community of Artists working for Peace.
      I have a unique and interesting vision for doing this and there is a potential for the project to take National, Regional and/or even Global propotions.
      It has a specific core component that needs to be built and advanced to Peace based Artistic activities around it with a long term focuss on a Peace Center for Artists.

      My prototype project is to work with the group of Artists in Ghetto Arts Collectives (G.A.C)ghettoartscollective.webs.com/articles.htmin crafting a giant monumental Peace of Artwork.
      A life sized sculpture constructed with hundreds of used plastic bottles will be displayed in a public space, drawing attention to the importance of environmental protection.
      Under the guidance of Ghetto Arts Collectives Artists and a professional sculptor, groups of young street Youths (particularly Girls), street children and the Artists for Peace partners will work together to bring this large-scale event to fruition.

      The Artists will mobilize and identify Street Children especially girls to help in finishing the work.
      The monument in one way will depict a silent prayer and a message of Peace.
      It will serve to educate the Public about the futility of war and great meaning of Peace.
      Also it will be sending a message on the need to conserve our environment- Eco Peace.
      The design is of an open hand supporting a tree, and two doves.
      standing tall, about three meters high.

      The vision of The Peace Project is to create a culture of peace, balance, and harmony—a culture that allows all to participate in building a global community embracing social, economic, religious and environmental peace, awareness, tolerance, and sustainability.

      It will emphasize on Peace on Earth, Peace in our Hearts, Peace in our homes and Peace in our environments.

      Once the "Artist partnership Peace Tree" monument is complete (planted), it will pull Performing Artists (Acrobats, Dancers and drummists) who will launch it by doing Peace choreographed performances and prayers under it.
      My idea beyond this, is to create awareness and access to Organisations, and follow promptly with a sustainable project where Street Children will be crafting huge monumental/ life sized logo figures for companies and Organisations.
      This i hope will form the basis of ongoing Recycled Arts and Crafts works in the course of the future.
      Also Ghetto Arts Collectives will find opportunities to trade their crafts, paintings and Peace Mandallas made of painted canvas and recycled compact disks.

      Art and peace can both build bridges, create alliances, change perceptions, touch the soul and allow revolving networks. The process of creating peace is an Art – be a part!

      Artists for Peace Project is targerting people’s consciousness which are always different

      and fun!

      I hope this great initiative will open avenue to end violence, hatred,  and terrorism from this world

      Peace in my Heart, Arts is my love,

      Ken Owino

      Nafsi Africa Acrobats

      From: Andrius Kulikauskas <ms@...>
      Subject: [socialagriculture] Minciu Sodas $100 Projects
      To: onereachinganother@ yahoogroups. com, socialagriculture@ yahoogroups. com
      Cc: mendenyo@yahoogroup s.com, fightingpeacefully@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Tuesday, December 2, 2008, 7:56 AM

      I'm inspired with all the wonderful activity at our Minciu Sodas
      laboratory's many groups. http://www.ms. lt/news.php I've been working
      full-time teaching math at the American University in Bosnia and
      Herzegovina http://www.aubih. ba I'd like to invest some of the money I'm
      earning to strengthen our networks and open opportunities.

      Please consider participating in $100 projects. We have shown many times
      how a small amount of money (typically, $100) can sponsor a project that
      makes a step forward in our thinking and working together. I can support
      some example projects and I hope more of us might, too. I don't have time
      to manage or run individual projects and so that is where we need your
      help! Here are some examples that I have in mind:

      * Graham Knight http://biodesign. webeden.co. uk is promoting the use in
      Africa of solar powered battery rechargers for mobile phones. I sponsored
      a $100 project in which Peter Ongele in Kenya demonstrated that indeed,
      this technology works. So now we might do a further $100 project to
      explore business possibilities. Kennedy Owino, Samwel Kongere, Tom
      Ochuka, Wendi Loshe Bernadette, Peter Ongele, perhaps one or more of you
      (or others?) might be interested?

      * Peter Ongele is interested to survey the effectiveness of the use or
      misuse of bednets to prevent malaria. He's already done some initial
      work. http://tech. groups.yahoo. com/group/ learnhowtolearn/ message/359
      Peter Burgess has written several supportive letters. Are you working
      together? Perhaps I might sponsor a small project? Peter, what might you
      achieve with $100?

      * Benoit Couture wants to start a reconciliation center in Edmonton for
      nurturing his and other families
      http://worknets. ning.com/ group/edmontonre conciliationcent re
      Perhaps Fred Kayiwa could do some social networking to help find others in
      Edmonton who might be interested?

      * Franz Nahrada wants to promote Gleb Turin's global villages work in the
      Archangelsk province of Russia. Tomas Cepaitis, Foreign Minister of
      Uzhupis, could translate between Russian, English and also involve people
      in Russia, Lithuania and other countries.

      * Fred Kayiwa is starting to build websites for NGOs such as Uganda Youth
      Football. He needs help to learn how to build web pages. Others are also
      interested to learn. Perhaps Kiyavilo Msekwa or somebody else might tutor
      our participants? perhaps at our chat room?

      * Edward Cherlin has invited us to give ideas for a Sugar Labs proposal.
      I suggest, for example, that children might use Sugar and the OLPC to help
      adults get their stories and wisdom out, especially the differently abled.
      http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/earthtreas ury/message/ 134 This would be
      great for our Includer project http://www.includer .org which could use
      Sugar on old computers and other devices.

      * Charles Williams is helping David Ellison-Bey participate more actively
      online. As he suggested, I could dedicate some money for a new printer
      for David, but especially if they might work together. I would like to do
      video bridges with them. David has a laptop and a projector.
      http://tech. groups.yahoo. com/group/ socialagricultur e/message/ 1077

      * Freddie A. Green of the House of Culture in Chicago wants help with his
      websites and to link them up with our Minciu Sodas laboratory. I would be
      glad to sponsor $100 towards Charles services for Freddie, especially if
      they might strengthen our network together.
      http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/onereachin ganother/ message/246

      * Marcin Jakubowski has a great blog. Perhaps somebody in Africa might
      help promote his innovations and see who might be interested to try one or
      more of them out? This could be a good example of spreading content

      * It would be great if somebody might work with Ricardo to survey all of
      our African participants to learn what kind of Internet access and
      computers they have, and what kind of Includer would be useful for them.

      * We could do a project with Masimba Biriwiasha to support his book and
      library program. I would like to work with a math teacher and ultimately
      publish my algebra notes there to see if they might be useful there.

      * Sasha Mrkailo has agreed to work a bit for me to look for EU funding for
      projects with the university here in Bosnia, which might include our chat
      room, peacemaking, math education, statistics education and a global
      villages index.

      And many more projects:
      * Kennedy Owino and others care about the differently abled.
      * Cathy Stubington shared with us a fantastic project for making sanitary

      We also need much help with programming at our websites, including
      teaching people how to program. These are not big solutions (I've had
      disastrous experiences with Drupal and other content management systems)
      but little $100 projects, for example, to link Twitter with our chat room,
      or to access the NING system to know who is logged in and let other
      programs use that information. I would very much like to work with Todd
      Kelsey, Alex Rollin and others and thank you for the important discussion
      at Global Villages
      http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/globalvill ages/message/ 3785

      Each project should involve at least a pair of people, typically:
      * one or more people on-the-ground, typically in a developing country
      * one or more people online who care
      Each of these people should share with us:
      * what is a small, real step that they would like to achieve with this
      * a question that they don't know the answer to, but this project might
      help answer
      * their relevant values, why is this project important to them?
      That helps us work together in a deep way.
      Finally, how does your project strengthen our network? This could include:
      * business opportunities for yourself or me or others at our lab
      * new relationships for working together both for free and for pay
      * infrastructure online or on-the-ground for our lab and network
      * examples that showcase what we could achieve if we had funding

      I will send the money at the start of the project. No deliverables are
      needed, just your good will to work together and achieve what you think
      most important.

      I can support quite a few projects. And then we can find more supporters.
      What we really need is YOU! either doing a project or guiding it so that
      it is meaningful to more of us around the world.

      http://www.ms. lt
      skype: minciusodas