Re: [learningfromeachother] British Council 'Connecting Classrooms' project

  • tom ochuka
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 17, 2008
      Dear Ricardo and all,
       Aic Nyakana sec school in Ahero works very close to the deafimpact,this is school the comunity begin 2years  ago.
      They need classrooms and other rooms such us lab etc,is theproject benefiting the high scholl also ?
      They are have abig land for this .
      Thanks.
      TOM OCHUKA.

      I came across this project by The British Council, starting in Spring 2009, that aims to link up clusters of 9 schools in the UK and developing countries worldwide, including Nigeria and other parts of Sub-Saharan Africa. Each cluster receives a grant of £15,000 per year for 3 years, to fund projects, including travel. So, it's not a drain on resources. It actually comes with money attached. I wondered whether you knew any schools that might make use of it.
      This page has more detail on how it works.
      It's already been running in some parts of the world for a few years. They are just rolling it out worldwide in 2009.
      Ricardo

    • Edward Cherlin
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 18, 2008
        On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 5:07 AM, ricardoolpc <ricardoolpc@...> wrote:
        > Hi Pam and all
        >
        > I came across this project by The British Council, starting in Spring 2009,
        > that aims to link up clusters of 9 schools in the UK and developing
        > countries worldwide, including Nigeria and other parts of Sub-Saharan
        > Africa.

        Thank you. I have been looking for such organizations.

        > Each cluster receives a grant of £15,000 per year for 3 years, to
        > fund projects, including travel. So, it's not a drain on resources. It
        > actually comes with money attached.

        That isn't enough for OLPC XOs for all of the students, so we will
        have to look for additional sources of funding.

        > I wondered whether you knew any schools
        > that might make use of it.

        No shortage.

        > http://www.britishcouncil.org/learning-connecting-classrooms.htm
        >
        > This page has more detail on how it works.
        >
        > http://www.britishcouncil.org/learning-connecting-classrooms_old.htm
        >
        > It's already been running in some parts of the world for a few years. They
        > are just rolling it out worldwide in 2009.
        >
        > Ricardo
        >

        > Each letter sent to Learning From Each Other enters the PUBLIC DOMAIN unless
        > it explicitly states otherwise http://www.ethicalpublicdomain.org Please be
        > kind to our authors!

        And Children are my nation.
      • ricardoolpc
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 19, 2008
          Hi Ed

          I'd better clarify things a little. The grant isn't just for any
          project, so schools wouldn't be able to spend the grant on computer
          hardware. The British Council has specific aims in mind for
          the 'Connecting Classrooms' project.

          The main page says...

          http://www.britishcouncil.org/learning-connecting-classrooms.htm

          Connecting Classrooms builds lasting partnerships between schools in
          the UK and others around the world. Through these partnerships, the
          programme develops trust and understanding between young people in
          different societies, creating a safer and more connected world for
          the future.

          A list of specific aims is shown on this page...

          http://www.britishcouncil.org/learning-connecting-classrooms-what.htm

          Here's an extract from that page...

          What do the partner schools do?

          All schools involved in Connecting Classrooms will:

          1) work with partner schools on collaborative curriculum projects,
          which enable learners to interact across geographical boundaries to
          enhance their understanding of each other's societies, languages and
          cultures.

          2) receive professional development for teachers and school leaders,
          which builds capacity to support international partnerships and to
          lead the school in an international environment

          3) be eligible for International School Award accreditation, which
          recognises the school's commitment to forming international
          partnerships and developing global citizens.

          Aim 2), about professional development sounds quite interesting. I'm
          sure a lot of schools could benefit from that. The main aims,
          though, seem to be increasing social contacts between schools and
          expanding students horizons.

          On the main page, each title is a clickable link, to pages with more
          detail...

          --- In learningfromeachother@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Cherlin"
          <echerlin@...> wrote:

          > On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 5:07 AM, ricardoolpc <ricardoolpc@...>
          wrote:
          > > Hi Pam and all
          > >
          > > I came across this project by The British Council, starting in
          Spring 2009,
          > > that aims to link up clusters of 9 schools in the UK and
          developing
          > > countries worldwide, including Nigeria and other parts of Sub-
          Saharan
          > > Africa.
          >
          > Thank you. I have been looking for such organizations.
          >
          > > Each cluster receives a grant of £15,000 per year for 3 years,
          > > fund projects, including travel. So, it's not a drain on
          resources. It
          > > actually comes with money attached.
          >
          > That isn't enough for OLPC XOs for all of the students, so we will
          > have to look for additional sources of funding.
          >
          > > I wondered whether you knew any schools
          > > that might make use of it.
          >
          > No shortage.
          >
          > > http://www.britishcouncil.org/learning-connecting-classrooms.htm
          > >
          > > This page has more detail on how it works.
          > >
          > > http://www.britishcouncil.org/learning-connecting-
          classrooms_old.htm

          > > It's already been running in some parts of the world for a few
          years. They
          > > are just rolling it out worldwide in 2009.
          > >
          > > Ricardo
          > >

          > > Each letter sent to Learning From Each Other enters the PUBLIC
          DOMAIN unless
          > > it explicitly states otherwise
          http://www.ethicalpublicdomain.org Please be
          > > kind to our authors!