Re: [learningfromeachother] British Council 'Connecting Classrooms' project

  • Samwel Kongere
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 17, 2008
      Dear to all,,
      As i am having my last day this at Nyamuga school this
      term ending this year. Am enriched with the
      information and sharing together with teachers and
      children, we have been able to connect an early
      childhood classroom, physically challenged children
      unit and include technology in school.
      Infact Ricardo thanks for the link. Our patron who is
      working with USAID in Nairobi will follow with the
      british coucil on the grant.
      I am leaving for Nairobi on Wednesday.
      Hopefully this is a wonderful link.
      Samwel.

    • tom ochuka
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 17, 2008
        Dear Ricardo and all,
         Aic Nyakana sec school in Ahero works very close to the deafimpact,this is school the comunity begin 2years  ago.
        They need classrooms and other rooms such us lab etc,is theproject benefiting the high scholl also ?
        They are have abig land for this .
        Thanks.
        TOM OCHUKA.

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 18, 2008
          On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 5:07 AM, ricardoolpc <ricardoolpc@...> wrote:
          > Hi Pam and all
          >
          > I came across this project by The British Council, starting in Spring 2009,
          > that aims to link up clusters of 9 schools in the UK and developing
          > countries worldwide, including Nigeria and other parts of Sub-Saharan
          > Africa.

          Thank you. I have been looking for such organizations.

          > Each cluster receives a grant of £15,000 per year for 3 years, to
          > fund projects, including travel. So, it's not a drain on resources. It
          > actually comes with money attached.

          That isn't enough for OLPC XOs for all of the students, so we will
          have to look for additional sources of funding.

          > I wondered whether you knew any schools
          > that might make use of it.

          No shortage.

          > http://www.britishcouncil.org/learning-connecting-classrooms.htm
          >
          > This page has more detail on how it works.
          >
          > http://www.britishcouncil.org/learning-connecting-classrooms_old.htm
          >
          > It's already been running in some parts of the world for a few years. They
          > are just rolling it out worldwide in 2009.
          >
          > Ricardo
          >

          > Each letter sent to Learning From Each Other enters the PUBLIC DOMAIN unless
          > it explicitly states otherwise http://www.ethicalpublicdomain.org Please be
          > kind to our authors!

          And Children are my nation.
        • ricardoolpc
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 19, 2008
            Hi Ed

            I'd better clarify things a little. The grant isn't just for any
            project, so schools wouldn't be able to spend the grant on computer
            hardware. The British Council has specific aims in mind for
            the 'Connecting Classrooms' project.

            The main page says...

            http://www.britishcouncil.org/learning-connecting-classrooms.htm

            Connecting Classrooms builds lasting partnerships between schools in
            the UK and others around the world. Through these partnerships, the
            programme develops trust and understanding between young people in
            different societies, creating a safer and more connected world for
            the future.

            A list of specific aims is shown on this page...

            http://www.britishcouncil.org/learning-connecting-classrooms-what.htm

            Here's an extract from that page...

            What do the partner schools do?

            All schools involved in Connecting Classrooms will:

            1) work with partner schools on collaborative curriculum projects,
            which enable learners to interact across geographical boundaries to
            enhance their understanding of each other's societies, languages and
            cultures.

            2) receive professional development for teachers and school leaders,
            which builds capacity to support international partnerships and to
            lead the school in an international environment

            3) be eligible for International School Award accreditation, which
            recognises the school's commitment to forming international
            partnerships and developing global citizens.

            Aim 2), about professional development sounds quite interesting. I'm
            sure a lot of schools could benefit from that. The main aims,
            though, seem to be increasing social contacts between schools and
            expanding students horizons.

            On the main page, each title is a clickable link, to pages with more
            detail...

            --- In learningfromeachother@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Cherlin"
            <echerlin@...> wrote:

            > On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 5:07 AM, ricardoolpc <ricardoolpc@...>
            wrote:
            > > Hi Pam and all
            > >
            > > I came across this project by The British Council, starting in
            Spring 2009,
            > > that aims to link up clusters of 9 schools in the UK and
            developing
            > > countries worldwide, including Nigeria and other parts of Sub-
            Saharan
            > > Africa.
            >
            > Thank you. I have been looking for such organizations.
            >
            > > Each cluster receives a grant of £15,000 per year for 3 years,
            > > fund projects, including travel. So, it's not a drain on
            resources. It
            > > actually comes with money attached.
            >
            > That isn't enough for OLPC XOs for all of the students, so we will
            > have to look for additional sources of funding.
            >
            > > I wondered whether you knew any schools
            > > that might make use of it.
            >
            > No shortage.
            >
            > > http://www.britishcouncil.org/learning-connecting-classrooms.htm
            > >
            > > This page has more detail on how it works.
            > >
            > > http://www.britishcouncil.org/learning-connecting-
            classrooms_old.htm

            > > It's already been running in some parts of the world for a few
            years. They
            > > are just rolling it out worldwide in 2009.
            > >
            > > Ricardo
            > >

            > > Each letter sent to Learning From Each Other enters the PUBLIC
            DOMAIN unless
            > > it explicitly states otherwise
            http://www.ethicalpublicdomain.org Please be
            > > kind to our authors!